Dear United States... I'm judging you.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 01:57 am
@seac,
seac wrote:

We have lost thousands of lives in the Middle East wars helping Muslims.

You weren't helping Muslims you were butchering them. The only people you helped were Dick Cheney's chums in Halliburton and jihadi recruitment.
seac wrote:

Note that America has almost always offered help to people of other countries at their time of need.

More nonsense, you only entered WW2 after being attacked by the Japanese. Britain's time of need was the Summer of 1940. You profiteered ensuring that Britain would have to pay you for the next 60 years or so, until Tony Blair was pm.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 01:59 am
@giujohn,
Despite why he may have told you, Nigel Farage is not a world leader. He couldn't even get elected in Thanet South.
Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank-you. I've tried learning a bit of German. My grandfather was fluent. It's the tongue twisting words that get me.. lol
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:16 am
@izzythepush,
He's pretty repulsive isn't he? Horrible in every way..
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:38 am
@Ceili,
Absolutely disgusting, but Al Murray had a lot of fun running against him in South Thanet.

He really got under Farage's skin. Farage was the only other candidate who complained that Murray was making a mockery of the election, the others saw the funny side.
Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:45 am
@izzythepush,
Brilliant. They have my vote. If they'll accept a vote from the far provinces.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 03:07 am
@Ceili,
The Tories won, but Al Murray's reaction at the count was priceless, as is the look of disappointment on Farage's face.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 01:32 pm
Canadians pat themselves on the back for being so "tolerant" and "multicultural" while simultaneously ignoring their indigenous population.

http://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CHARTS_MAC04-Gilmore.jpeg

Canada’s race problem? It’s even worse than America’s.
For a country so self-satisfied with its image of progressive tolerance, how is this not a national crisis?
Scott Gilmore
January 22, 2015

BERNARD WEIL/TORONTO STAR/CP

The racial mess in the United States looks pretty grim and is painful to watch. We can be forgiven for being quietly thankful for Canada’s more inclusive society, which has avoided dramas like that in Ferguson, Mo. We are not the only ones to think this. In the recently released Social Progress Index, Canada is ranked second amongst all nations for its tolerance and inclusion.
Unfortunately, the truth is we have a far worse race problem than the United States. We just can’t see it very easily.
Terry Glavin, recently writing in the Ottawa Citizen, mocked the idea that the United States could learn from Canada’s example when it comes to racial harmony. To illustrate his point, he compared the conditions of the African-American community to Canada’s First Nations. If you judge a society by how it treats its most disadvantaged, Glavin found us wanting. Consider the accompanying table. By almost every measurable indicator, the Aboriginal population in Canada is treated worse and lives with more hardship than the African-American population. All these facts tell us one thing: Canada has a race problem, too.
How are we not choking on these numbers? For a country so self-satisfied with its image of progressive tolerance, how is this not a national crisis? Why are governments not falling on this issue?

Welcome to Winnipeg: Where Canada’s racism problem is at its worst.
Possibly it is because our Fergusons are hidden deep in the bush, accessible only by chartered float plane: 49 per cent of First Nations members live on remote reserves. Those who do live in urban centres are mostly confined to a few cities in the Prairies. Fewer than 40,000 live in Toronto, not even one per cent of the total population of the Greater Toronto Area. Our racial problems are literally over the horizon, out of sight and out of mind

Or it could be because we simply do not see the forest for trees. We are distracted by the stories of corrupt band councils, or flooded reserves, or another missing Aboriginal woman. Some of us wring our hands, and a handful of activists protest. There are a couple of unread op-eds, and maybe a Twitter hashtag will skip around for a few days. But nothing changes. Yes, we admit there is a governance problem on the reserves. We might agree that “something” should be done about the missing and murdered women. In Ottawa a few policy wonks write fretful memos on land claims and pipelines. But collectively, we don’t say it out loud: “Canada has a race problem.”

If we don’t have a race problem then what do we blame? Our justice system, unable to even convene Aboriginal juries? Band administrators, like those in Attawapiskat, who defraud their own people? Our health care system that fails to provide Aboriginal communities with health outcomes on par with El Salvador? Politicians too craven to admit the reserve system has failed? Elders like Chief Ava Hill, cynically willing to let a child die this week from treatable cancer in order to promote Aboriginal rights? Aboriginal people themselves for not throwing out the leaders who serve them so poorly? Police forces too timid to grasp the nettle and confront unbridled criminality like the organized drug-smuggling gangs in Akwesasne? Federal bureaucrats for constructing a $7-billion welfare system that doesn’t work? The school system for only graduating 42 per cent of reserve students? Aboriginal men, who have pushed their community’s murder rate past Somalia’s? The media for not sufficiently or persistently reporting on these facts?
Or: us? For not paying attention. For believing our own hype about inclusion. For looking down our noses at America and ignorantly thinking, “That would never happen here.” For not acknowledging Canada has a race problem.
We do and it is bad. And it is not just with the Aboriginal peoples. For new immigrants and the black community the numbers are not as stark, but they tell a depressingly similar story.
If we want to fix this, the first step is to admit something is wrong. Start by saying it to yourself, but say it out loud: “Canada has a race problem.”
McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 01:48 pm
Here is a Frenchman's judgement as well...

Quote:
American troops in Afghanistan through the eyes of a French OMLT infantryman.

The US often hears echoes of worldwide hostility against the application of its foreign policy, but seldom are they reached by the voices of people who experience first hand how close we are to the USA. In spite of contextual political differences and conflicting interests that generate friction, we do share the same fundamental values – and when push comes to shove that is what really counts. Through the eyes of that French OMLT (Operational Mentoring Liaison Teams) infantryman you can see how strong the bond is on the ground. In contrast with the Americans, the French soldiers don’t seem to write much online – or maybe the proportion is the same but we just have fewer people deployed. Whatever the reason, this is a rare and moving testimony which is why I decided to translate it into English, so that American people can catch a glimpse of the way European soldiers see them. Not much high philosophy here, just the first hand impressions of a soldier in contact – but that only makes it more authentic.

Here is the original French article (below in translation): “We have shared our daily life with two US units for quite a while – they are the first and fourth companies of a prestigious infantry battalion whose name I will withhold for the sake of military secrecy. To the common man it is a unit just like any other. But we live with them and got to know them, and we henceforth know that we have the honor to live with one of the most renowned units of the US Army – one that the movies brought to the public as series showing “ordinary soldiers thrust into extraordinary events”. Who are they, those soldiers from abroad, how is their daily life, and what support do they bring to the men of our OMLT every day? Few of them belong to the Easy Company, the one the TV series focuses on. This one nowadays is named Echo Company, and it has become the support company. They have a very strong American accent - the language they speak seems to be not even English. How many times did I have to write down what I wanted to say rather than waste precious minutes trying various pronunciations of a seemingly common word? Whatever state they are from, no two accents are alike and they themselves admit that in some crisis situations they have difficulties understanding each other.

Heavily built, fed at the earliest age with Gatorade, proteins at places like Waffle House and McDonalds – they are all heads and shoulders taller than us and their muscles remind us of Rambo. Our frames are amusingly skinny to them – even the strongest of us – and because of that they often mistake us for Afghans. Here we discover America as it is often depicted: their values are taken to their paroxysm, often amplified by the loneliness of this outpost in the middle of that Afghan valley. Honor, motherland – everything here reminds of that: the American flag floating in the wind above the outpost, just like the one on the postage parcels. Even if recruits often originate from the heart of American cities and gang territory, no one here has any goal other than to hold high and proud the star spangled banner. Each man knows he can count on the support of their whole people who provides them through the mail all the things that an American could miss in such a remote front-line location: books, chewing gums, razorblades, Gatorade, toothpaste etc. in such way that every man is aware of how much the American people backs him in his difficult mission. And that is a first shock to our preconceptions: the American soldier is no individualist. The team, the group, the combat team are the focus of all his attention.

And they are impressive warriors! We have not come across bad ones, as strange at it may seem to you when you know how critical French people can be. Even if some of them are a bit on the heavy side, all of them provide us everyday with lessons in infantry know-how. Beyond the wearing of a combat kit that never seems to discomfort them (helmet strap, helmet, combat goggles, rifles etc.) the long hours of watch at the outpost never seem to annoy them in the slightest. On the one square meter wooden tower above the perimeter wall they stand the five consecutive hours in full battle rattle and night vision goggles on top, their sight focused in the directions of likely danger. No distractions, no pauses, they are like statues nights and days. At night, all movements are performed in the dark – only a handful of subdued red lights indicate the occasional presence of a soldier on the move. Same with the vehicles whose lights are covered – everything happens in pitch dark even filling the fuel tanks with the Japy pump.

And combat? If you have seen Rambo you have seen it all – always coming to the rescue when one of our teams gets in trouble, and always in the shortest delay. That is one of their tricks: they switch from T-shirt and sandals to combat ready in three minutes. Arriving in contact with the enemy, the way they fight is simple and disconcerting: they just charge! They disembark and assault in stride, they bomb first and ask questions later – which cuts any pussyfooting short.

(This is the main area where I’d like to comment. Anyone with a passing knowledge of Kipling knows the lines from Chant Pagan: ‘If your officer’s dead and the sergeants look white/remember its ruin to run from a fight. /So take open order, lie down, sit tight/And wait for supports like a soldier./ This, in fact, is the basic philosophy of both British and Continental soldiers. ‘In the absence of orders, take a defensive position.’ Indeed, virtually every army in the world. The American soldier and Marine, however, are imbued from early in their training with the ethos: In the Absence of Orders: Attack! Where other forces, for good or ill, will wait for precise orders and plans to respond to an attack or any other ‘incident’, the American force will simply go, counting on firepower and SOP to carry the day.

This is one of the great strengths of the American force in combat and it is something that even our closest allies, such as the Brits and Aussies (that latter being closer by the way) find repeatedly surprising. No wonder it surprises the hell out of our enemies!)

We seldom hear any harsh word, and from 5 AM onwards the camp chores are performed in beautiful order and always with excellent spirit. A passing American helicopter stops near a stranded vehicle just to check that everything is alright; an American combat team will rush to support ours before even knowing how dangerous the mission is – from what we have been given to witness, the American soldier is a beautiful and worthy heir to those who liberated France and Europe. To those who bestow us with the honor of sharing their combat outposts and who everyday give proof of their military excellence, to those who pay the daily tribute of America’s army’s deployment on Afghan soil, to those we owed this article, ourselves hoping that we will always remain worthy of them and to always continue hearing them say that we are all the same band of brothers”.

Much of this the various veterans reading will go ‘Well, duh. Of course we do our ‘camp chores’ and stand our posts in good order. There’s a reason for them and if we didn’t we’d get our heads handed to us eventually. And, yeah, we’re in shape. Makes battle easier. The more you sweat, the less you bleed.’

What is hard for most people to comprehend is that that attitude represented only the most elite units of the past. Current everyday conventional boring ‘leg infantry’ units exceed the PT levels and training levels of most Special Forces during the Vietnam War. They exceed both of those as well as IQ and educational levels of: Waffen SS, WWII Rangers, WWII Airborne and British ‘Commando’ units during WWII. Their per-unit combat-functionality is essentially unmeasurable because it has to be compared to something and there’s nothing comparable in industrial period combat history.

‘The Greatest Generation’ WWII vets who really get a close look at how good these kids are stand in absolute awe. So much of ‘The scum of the earth, enlisted for drink.’

Everyone complains about the quality of ‘the new guys.’ Don’t. The screw-ups of this modern generation are head and shoulders above the ‘high-medium’ of any other group. Including mine.

A French Infantryman’s View of American Soldiers Posted By Editor On January 20, 2010 @ 10:27 pm In From the Editor |

by Jean-Marc Liotier
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 01:55 pm
@giujohn,
Just wondering, who is compared here - why not the American Indian and Alaska Native Population but the African-American population?
Or why aren't both black populations compared?

Besides that, you're really "good" using argumenta ad superbiam.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

argumenta ad superbiam.

That's not German... Besides, after the intial post, THIS is the one you are going to call out? You see no problem with what would normally be considered a courteous and polite Canadian using so much "French"?

Come on Walter, you are going to lose a bit of your self respect going on like that.
giujohn

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Who the hell do you think I'm trying to flatter? Certainly not you and not the originator of this thread.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:31 pm
@McGentrix,
Seems, you US-Americans just know the argumentum ad hominem, and any other form of arguments is Dutch for you.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You\'re ok with Americans being called the new SS? That\'s something that you can tolerate then?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Here ya go Walter, just to show you that we know more than just argumentum ad hominem...

http://i.imgur.com/YRXIwHo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ExwlGzs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rHwKfeJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9qOqIgu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Zoz599M.jpg

Many more
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:43 pm
@McGentrix,
You're excellent, McG. A true American academic.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I like to think so, thank you.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

It certainly has hurt the US reputation in almost every country. Can't argue with that.

"Hurt"? In my opinion much of Europe has never had a good opinion of the U.S., or rather as a cheap knock-off of themselves. Asia? South America? Not being a citizen of the world, but only a citizen of the U.S., I find the pride of country in the U.S. no different than the pride of country we see when any country wins a soccer match. At least the U.S. just plays baseball and has interstate rivalries.

Are you forgetting that there are people in the U.S. that subscribe to an "American culture," complete with rodeos, NASCAR, football, baseball, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and an over commercialized version of Christmas.

I suspect there are many in the U.S. that don't give a flying F for the opinion of a bunch of countries that like to act like they are the cool race car drivers in the foreign movie, A Man and A Woman.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

If you have any problems you already know where to report it, I am not going to discuss your complaints with you individually (I have better things to do with my time than mediate your spats). But while you are complaining publicly I will note that you are close to meriting action for a pattern of trolling (e.g. the "buttercup" provocations you are posting over and over). While each individual post might not merit action if that is your only stock and store you are not valuable to the community.

I thought "buttercup" was a term of endearment?
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 03:05 pm
@Foofie,
i believe this the use of the word buttercup to which the posts are referring

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy0zZGYwOGRhYzkyMTI0NjNl.png

it's an admonishment to the post election whiners
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:51:22