Dear United States... I'm judging you.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 03:23 pm
@Foofie,
The key is not about what word is used and what it means or how bad it is on its own, it's about one's only stock and store in the community being that of an provocateur.

In this case it's not being used as a term of endearment but even if someone had nothing to say on a2k but "good day" in every post they would be removed just the same for the low-effort content at volume.
giujohn

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 03:48 pm
The only provocateur in this thread is the originator, the one who calls people racist idiots.

People have been suspended on the site for calling somebody senile.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 05:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I read the article when it came out, I asked myself the same question.

What it really should have compared was the First Nation populations in each country. While we have a terrible record, so does the US. At least we are working on it. About a year ago, the Truth and Reconciliation commission released their report and it was devastating. Our new government has made many of these issues a priority, including a task force on the murdered and missing, education, housing and water.
And then there is the States... Standing Rock anybody? Police shootings? Your new racist president who scares the **** out of anyone who is brown and his KKK cabinet... And you voted for him.
Go find another article on Canada. I don't care. I never said we were beyond reproach. But we didn't vote for Trump. You did.
giujohn

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 08:21 am
Canada: only a little bit racist... kind of like being slightly pregnant.

My momma always said, "Racist is as Racist does."
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 09:57 am
I have never understood 'nationalism' in any form. What possible significance is there in the totally accidental location of your birth?

Just because you live in one country or another is not cause to judge ANYONE. To characterize an individual for their country of origin or residence is gross intellectual laziness.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 10:33 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Canada: only a little bit racist... kind of like being slightly pregnant.

My momma always said, "Racist is as Racist does."

Does that include behavior, or merely thoughts?
giujohn

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 10:35 am
@InfraBlue,
Your choice.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 11:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Try teach a dog to speak if you can....you had 200 years to try and teach a certain kind of America and you haven't moved an inch since the civil war as this election showed. If anything as been proved so far is that education can't do miracles even in the so called information age. For starters your tv news channels are a joke. The pinnacle of demagoguery and blunt desinformation.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 11:05 am
@giujohn,
That expands your definition of "racist."
giujohn

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 01:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
So be it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 01:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
And yet, we all hear and repeat stereotypes. And turn a blind eye when someone makes a joke or uses them as a platform in a national election.
It's not just nationalism, it is tribalism, as in - my god is better than yours, the luck of being born light makes my skin colour superior to you...
None of us like to be pigeon holed, or stuck with a handle we feel is unfair. But it happens.
You are all being painted with a broad brush. Funnily, the same people making the biggest stink here are the first to throw around the same terms about others.
My heart bleeds.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

The key is not about what word is used and what it means or how bad it is on its own, it's about one's only stock and store in the community being that of an provocateur.

In this case it's not being used as a term of endearment but even if someone had nothing to say on a2k but "good day" in every post they would be removed just the same for the low-effort content at volume.

You well know the mud slinging that has gone on in many a past thread. And also the false accusation that I was someone's sock puppet. You could have put that to rest, I assume, based on respective server id's. But, if you could, and didn't, then my Forum Administrator has clay feet, in my opinion.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:24 pm
@Ceili,
Walter did? Your brush is only getting broader and broader.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:28 pm
@Foofie,
I have no illusions of being able to satisfy everyone and no intention of trying to. Everyone has their pet theories about what should be done and says I have "clay feet" (or whatever their silly insult is) if I do not do things exactly their way. They don't spend any time thinking about their opinions no matter how strongly held they are and don't spend any time solving the problems in the community that I spend time trying to solve. So at the end of the day all I care about is if things meet my standards and I don't really care at all what a Foofie or a giujohn (who sends dozens of demands that we ban users for this and that) thinks about how things are done here.
Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:29 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I read the article when it came out, I asked myself the same question.

What it really should have compared was the First Nation populations in each country. While we have a terrible record, so does the US. At least we are working on it. About a year ago, the Truth and Reconciliation commission released their report and it was devastating. Our new government has made many of these issues a priority, including a task force on the murdered and missing, education, housing and water.
And then there is the States... Standing Rock anybody? Police shootings? Your new racist president who scares the **** out of anyone who is brown and his KKK cabinet... And you voted for him.
Go find another article on Canada. I don't care. I never said we were beyond reproach. But we didn't vote for Trump. You did.

I'm not sure why you take the U.S. conservative position so to heart? If Muslims are welcomed in Canada, that's nice. If Christians were welcomed in all countries in the mideast, that too would be nice. Do you see an even playing field?
Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I have never understood 'nationalism' in any form. What possible significance is there in the totally accidental location of your birth?

Just because you live in one country or another is not cause to judge ANYONE. To characterize an individual for their country of origin or residence is gross intellectual laziness.

The world is populated with many who are grosslly intellectually lazy might just be the answer.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I have no illusions of being able to satisfy everyone and no intention of trying to. Everyone has their pet theories about what should be done and says I have "clay feet" (or whatever their silly insult is) if I do not do things exactly their way. They don't spend any time thinking about their opinions no matter how strongly held they are and don't spend any time solving the problems in the community that I spend time trying to solve. So at the end of the day all I care about is if things meet my standards and I don't really care at all what a Foofie or a giujohn (who sends dozens of demands that we ban users for this and that) thinks about how things are done here.

"Clay feet" was not an insult, but a lament, that like the early Christians that had to realize that their pagan Gods had clay feet, we have to realize that our Forum Administrator has limitations of overseeing the forum.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:51 pm
@Foofie,
I am familiar with the story (it wasn't Christians as it pre-dated Christ by some 500 years). Either way my point isn't so much that I find it insulting (silly was the operative word there). I know I can't make everyone happy, especially those who deliberately go about making forum enemies and expect me to deal with the consequences for them. I'm basically saying that if you aren't much of a stakeholder in the work that goes into the community I'm not going to care much what you think about the work that does go into the community.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 02:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Um no. The first part was a response to Walter. The rest was to whoever wanted to read it. Thus the space in between the passages.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:06 pm
@Foofie,
I'm not especially interested in a level playing field. Especially if that playing field is a riddled with holes.
Just because Muslim countries have stupid laws, does not give me reason to want to mirror them or enter into a game of tit for tat. Shouldn't we aim to be better than the worst examples? We live in a global community, shouldn't we expect nations, governments to strive to give all citizens equal opportunities and justice?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 11:15:46