ITS GETTING UGLY HEREIN, let's remember

contrex

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 12:43 pm
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:
schiz.. incorrigible... a troll...

I think you nailed it, but I am fairly sure he is a she.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 12:48 pm
izzythepush wrote:
that British soldiers did not fight the Japanese during WW2.

I really thought Foofie was a woman. Anyhow, did he really say that? My uncle was in the 14th Army and killed "a load of Japs" as he told us every Christmas when he'd had a few. Never elaborated though. He got the Military Medal for leading a platoon attack on a Japanese trench near Kohima after the officer was killed (he never mentioned that, my dad told me about it).
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 01:02 pm
@contrex,
He said something like America fought the Japanese while we fought the Germans. It's lazy, casual ignorance based on the Hollywood version of events. Someone really shot him down, I thought it might have been you, but it could have been Lordy. It was a few years ago though, but I doubt his outlook has become less narrow of late.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 01:05 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I really thought Foofie was a woman.

That's a whole new can of worms, Foofie and Miller have answered each others posts, and long has Setanta voiced that they're one and the same. Miller is supposed to be female, Foofie male. I try to avoid both personas.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 01:06 pm
@contrex,
Watch your language bud: Japanese Americans who fought in WWII was the most decorated of any battalion of any war the US was involved in with the most Presidential Citations and other medals.
Our government also put us into concentration camps in this country without being charged of any crime.
catbeasy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
put us into concentration camps in this country without being charged of any crime.

That was the fault of the Japanese for not taking out a copy of their constitution and making sure their jailors understood what they were doing was illegal..
Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:45 pm
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie is a nasty little bigot who always tries to poison a conversation. He makes stuff up and deliberately lies in order to justify his own prejudices. His lies about 9/11 are the same as those that British soldiers did not fight the Japanese during WW2.

I put him on ignore a long time ago and feel much better for it.

So, you feel that you are a mind reader? Enjoy Brexit! (Or, based on the season, "Have a very merry Brexit."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:47 pm
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

Well, his comments about not caring for the people of other countries because 'no one cared about 9/11' and then changing it to not caring because of issues with not being able to relate does seem a bit schiz..(in the colloquial sense)..so..yeah..getting to know who's who here..but initially prefer to give benefit of the doubt until I see that someone is incorrigible or are just being a troll..thanks..

Sometimes a personal position can have more than one reason. Who knew that you can handle multiple rationales? Bravo for your intellect.
Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

He said something like America fought the Japanese while we fought the Germans. It's lazy, casual ignorance based on the Hollywood version of events. Someone really shot him down, I thought it might have been you, but it could have been Lordy. It was a few years ago though, but I doubt his outlook has become less narrow of late.

Fie! Hollywood is the bible for history.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 02:54 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

contrex wrote:
I really thought Foofie was a woman.

That's a whole new can of worms, Foofie and Miller have answered each others posts, and long has Setanta voiced that they're one and the same. Miller is supposed to be female, Foofie male. I try to avoid both personas.

Foofie's persona is New York Jewish. That transcends gender.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 03:05 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Sometimes a personal position can have more than one reason. Who knew that you can handle multiple rationales?

Yes, and I granted you the one about not being able to relate to other being your reason behind your lack of empathy.

Your other reason I did not grant because it was based on a false premise.

This is the very definition of my being able to understand that people can have multiple reasons for their beliefs! Who knew indeed?

Yet you persist in ignoring that I wasn't commenting on the meta of having more than one belief, but the specifics of why one of your beliefs was based on fallacious information and reasoning.

So, yes, you had more than one reason for your belief. Its just that one of your reasons was terribly thought out and based on faulty information. Stick with the other one..no one can disabuse you of the logic of it..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 03:10 pm
@catbeasy,
I lived a dozen blocks from Sawtelle, a west Los Angeles neighborhood, where the japanese americans were torn out of their homes and sent to camps. I was a toddler, but I still lived around there for quite a while in later years. Your comment was cold as ice, besides being wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 03:51 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
Japanese Americans filed lawsuits to stop the mass incarceration, but the wartime courts supported the hysteria. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Hirabayashi v U.S., Yasui v U.S. , and Korematsu v U.S. that the denial of civil liberties based on race and national origin were legal. In a later, contradictory ruling in Endo v

U.S., the Supreme Court decided that a loyal citizen could not be detained, but this did not stop the internment.

Our family was poor and didn't have much in the way of property, but the government did apologize and gave each of us $20,000 still living.

Quote:
In 1988, President Reagan signed the Civil Liberties Act to compensate more than 100,000 people of Japanese descent who were incarcerated in internment camps during World War II. The legislation offered a formal apology and paid out $20,000 in compensation to each surviving victim.Aug 9, 2013
From Wrong To Right: A U.S. Apology For Japanese Internment : Code ...
www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/08/09/210138278/japanese-internment-redress
contrex

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 03:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Watch your language bud

I put my uncle's remarks in scare quotes to signify that I was quoting him without agreeing with the sentiment or tone, and also to distance myself from the racism of that era (late 1950s). I apologise for any offence caused.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 04:02 pm
@contrex,
Apology accepted and appreciated.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 04:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Sorry, I assumed my irony was unmistakable...I was sarcastically commenting on some threads stating that somehow a piece of paper was responsible for our freedoms..it wasn't directed toward Japanese Americans..

Apologies for the confusion..
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 04:24 pm
@catbeasy,
I missed that was irony, probably too close to home for some of us.
You're back on board.

I'm not Japanese, but some of... oh, never mind.
I did have an aunt who hated japs and it was one of my points against me by that aunt. She was reasonably scared, being about twenty blocks from the shore, back in the day, but she didn't have a range of views. I later irritated her as I grew up.

I didn't put semi quotes around that. She was the straightforward sort.

Sometimes I wonder. My aunt was born in 1900 and my mother in 1901. I take my mother as smarter, and the aunt, I surely don't know. She could throw together a good cake, no recipe.
catbeasy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 08:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Semi quotes around what? Japs? Is there more irony here that I'm now missing?
catbeasy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 08:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah..not a good side of American history..America has had a racist streak in it from day 1 of European colonization and obviously is alive and well today..more so than we'd like to admit..I'm happy the govt made some reparations though..at least it was something..1988 huh? Better late than never..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 09:59 pm
@catbeasy,
Yes, I didn't put semi quotes around the word japs. It was a real word in my young life.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:49:44