Trump supporter voted twice...

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 05:21 pm
... because (she said) the election "is rigged". Well, I've heard of fighting fire with fire, but isn't that a bit over the top? And now James Comey interfering in the election. is America headed for a fascist coup d'état like the Brexit thing in Britain? Sure feels like it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/29/voter-fraud-iowa-trump-supporter

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,913 • Replies: 13

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 05:32 pm
@contrex,
Simply, no. The price to vote fraudulently is too high, and it's not only stupid but self-destructive. Another one vote isn't worth it.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:18 pm
@contrex,
Who or what would you say the British equivalent of Trump is?

In France I would say it's Marine LePen.

Are Conservatives basically good democrats in the UK?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:20 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Under federal law, perpetrators face up to five years in prison and a fine of $10,000 for each act of fraud. In Alabama, voter fraud is punishable by up to two years in prison and a $2,000 fine. In Wisconsin, the punishment is up to 31 / 2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.Oct 7, 2011
Five myths about voter fraud - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/29/is-this-proof-of-voter-fraud-or-election-rigging-a-user-guide/
and
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-voter-fraud/2011/10/04/gIQAkjoYTL_story.html?utm_term=.503b5fbb9e4c

Also: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-texas-vote-fraud-230384
roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A glitch. You quoted contrex with a Guardian link and it came up with a Washington post citation - with a 404 error. Can't imagine how that happened.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:33 pm
@roger,
Thanks roger. I think it's fixed now.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:40 pm
@Kolyo,
In France I would say it is Jean-Marie Le Pen. Marine LePen is what comes next in the US, someone who says the same thing Trump does but sugar coats it.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:45 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

In France I would say it is Jean-Marie Le Pen. Marine LePen is what comes next in the US, someone who says the same thing Trump does but sugar coats it.

Yes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:58 pm
If they catch a dozen, nationwide, doing this I will be surprised, slightly. Not much of a story if they only caught one.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:53 am
@Kolyo,
There is no British equivalent, our system is completely different. You're not going to understand non US politics if you keep viewing things through a US stencil.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 09:11 am
@izzythepush,
There are parties in Europe, if not in Britain, who refer to themselves as "national conservative". It's a movement in more countries than the US. It has nothing to do with systems; it has to do with ideology. I've met plenty of Brits in my own extended family who would sign on with the national conservative movement. Very frustrating, to have to listen to them talk about race.
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 09:38 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

There are parties in Europe, if not in Britain, who refer to themselves as "national conservative". It's a movement in more countries than the US. It has nothing to do with systems; it has to do with ideology. I've met plenty of Brits in my own extended family who would sign on with the national conservative movement. Very frustrating, to have to listen to them talk about race.

In Britain you have (for example) the British National Party - ultra-right, racist, and they have a vanishingly small membership and a tiny share of election votes. In the 2015 General Election they put up candidates in 9 parliamentary seats, and the highest number of votes they got was 489 in Charnwood (0.9% of the votes cast). The winning Conservative candidate got 26,560 (54.3% of the votes cast). This was their best result, remember. In the other 8 seats they got 0.2% to 0.6% of the votes.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 09:39 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

There are parties in Europe, if not in Britain

Nor is it just in the US or Europe. Here's a very much abbreviated list of better-known parties across the planet with national conservative ideology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_conservatism#List_of_national_conservative_political_parties

* Australia: One Nation
* France: National Front
* India: the BJP
* Italy: Brothers of Italy
* Norway: Progress Party
* Poland: Law and Justice
* Russia: United Russia (Putin's party)
* Sweden: the Sweden Democrats

It is noted in the list that factions of the GOP could be correctly described as "national conservative", although not the party as a whole.
I don't think Paul Ryan qualifies.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 03:23 am
@Kolyo,
None of that means there's a British equivalent to Trump. It's not like Shelbyville.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/c/c1/Joe's.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100927195258
0 Replies