can't find the right bulb

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 01:44 pm
so I need to know if 12 volts will run a 277 volt bulb?
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,409 • Replies: 21
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 03:36 pm
No, it won't. (Is this some kind of joke?)

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 03:57 pm
@onebadolegator,
Con, Gator is evidently a newcomer, perhaps very young. I had wondered whether that should have been 27.7, where "not very bright" applies

No pun intended, Gator. But do elucidate
Blickers

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:08 pm
@dalehileman,
Apparently there are 277 Volt bulbs, incandescent ones.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/56587/IN-0100A21FR277.html

Quote:
277 Volts is the input power of choice for most industrial and commercial applications. High voltage lighting is better from an efficiency standpoint. Higher voltage means less current, which means less power loss from resistance as stated in Ohm’s and Joule’s laws.

Ohm’s law: Voltage = Current*Resistance

Joule’s law: Power = Voltage*Current
High voltage lighting means you can put more lighting fixtures on a given circuit because voltage drop is less of a concern. This means these lights are ideal for areas with a lot of lighting fixtures close together: think warehouses, offices, restaurants, hotels, schools, and even hospitals.

Most industrial facilities get their power in a 480/277 volt 3 phase 4 wire system, because 277 is the phase-to-neutral voltage for 480’s phase-to-phase. The 480 volt wiring is generally used to power large industrial equipment, and the 277 volt wiring powers industrial scale lighting. These two voltages tend to go together because you do not need a transformer to use the 277 voltage, which cuts down on energy and construction costs.

http://www.bulbs.com/blogs/light_source/post/2015/06/10/Why-277-volts-for-lighting.aspx

Unfortunately I cannot add more, as I have no experience with them.

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:55 pm
@onebadolegator,
There are 12 volt bulbs that run off 12 volt supply. This is a common household appliance , perhaps a reading light.

What you are asking about are two wildly different applications.

The other is a high voltage industrial supply which runs a 277 volt bulb.
Never the Twain shall meet.
onebadolegator

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 08:01 pm
@Ragman,
O.K. Let's get more into this. We have in the past used a mogul base clear bulb that showed no markings whatever. We were told that it was a 1000 lumen bulb that came in a Phillips wrapper. We were also told that it would run on 6,12,24,or 36 volts. I am trying to find one of those. Phillips has a 1000 lumen that matches, but it is 277 volts.
0 Replies

33export

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 09:12 pm
How many mechanics are needed to change
a bulb for an automobile headlight?

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/85/10/29/1/h7-55w-auto-lamp-halogen-bulb-55-watt-lightbulb_1838461.JPG
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 11:20 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
there are 277 Volt bulbs
Thank you Blick but still I'm confused about that OP
Blickers

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 09:37 pm
@dalehileman,
He now knows that he doesn't want a 277 volt lamp. Clearly the OP has an industrial lighting setup which gives 12 volts. This is from his second post in the thread:
Quote:
We have in the past used a mogul base clear bulb that showed no markings whatever. We were told that it was a 1000 lumen bulb that came in a Phillips wrapper. We were also told that it would run on 6,12,24,or 36 volts. I am trying to find one of those. Phillips has a 1000 lumen that matches, but it is 277 volts.

The OP wants a mogul base, (larger screw in base), lamp that runs on 12 volts and gives 1,000 lumens. He was told an unmarked bulb made by Phillips is what he was successfully using. Unfortunately, I could not find it on the internet.

I think the OP should chat with one of the people at 1,000 bulbs or call up a lighting fixture store to get some advice. I wish I could help him, but I don't know industrial lighting setups.
Blickers

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 09:53 pm
@onebadolegator,
Wait! I might have found it. It is a 120 Volt bulb but it is also 8,900 lumens. Mogul base, (also called an E39 base). If you cut the voltage by 10, it should bring it down to 890 lumens, which is close enough to 1,000 lumens. (I think-you might want to check that out). And it is a clear bulb. Not cheap, for sure.

Here is a pic:
http://www.bulbs.com/Images/productmed/1/19298.jpg

And here is the page with the Phillips number-if that is the bulb.
http://www.bulbs.com/product/500-120-130V-CLEAR?RefId=24

Better call up bulbs.com and see how many lumens you can get running it on 12 Volts.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 10:42 pm
OOPS!! Ignore post above. I just found out you can't get a decent amount of light running a 120V lightbulb at 12 V.
onebadolegator

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:18 am
@Blickers,
So many thanks, that is what I wanted to know. You can try it but it doesn't work.
Blickers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:55 am
@onebadolegator,
I have to admit, I'm in over my head on this, I have no experience with this type of light.

Apparently you need a 12V bulb that gives out 1,000 lumens or thereabouts. I can't locate any off the net. I have seen something like the following bulb which doesn't mention what kind of voltage is required, it is a metal halide type that requires some kind of ballast, I have no idea about this.
http://www.bulbtown.com/MH175_U_MOG_CL_ED_28_p/308170.htm

My suggestion is get hold of a good lighting fixture store or even online website with chat and ask some questions. Good luck.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:38 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
run on 6,12,24,or 36 volts
Thanks Blick for that rundown. I didn't even know there was such a thing

If you've another mom, is it voltage sensitive or do you have to program it somehow to accept a particular predetermined potential

(Yea I programmed that'n)

Quote:
can't get a decent amount of light running a 120V lightbulb at 12 V
Oops I'd think not, but Blick, this needs clarification for our old cronies (me)

Thanks again Blick
Blickers

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:17 pm
@dalehileman,
As far a running on 6, 12, 24 or 36 Volts, I don't understand that either, since incandescent bulbs are extremely sensitive to drops in voltage. I don't know if the OP has some kind of ballast circuit thing or what, but just for a straight circuit, there would be a huge difference between running a bulb at 12V and running one at 35V.

The relationship between voltage and lumens I found in this quote:
Quote:
For a supply voltage V,

Light output is approximately proportional to V ^3.4
Power consumption is approximately proportional to V ^1.6
Lifetime is approximately inversely proportional to V ^16
Color temperature is approximately proportional to V ^0.42

This means that a 5 percent reduction in operating voltage will more than double the life of the bulb, at the expense of reducing its light output by about 20 percent.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Incandescent_light_bulb

By the way, "V^3.4 means V to the 3.4th power". Love to have subscript and superscript on this board, but right now we don't.

Checking the formula, if V gives you 1,000 lumens, then 0.95V will give you 839.9 lumens, which is close enough to a drop of "about 20 percent" in an article for beginners.

So if that bulb I mistakenly referred the OP to gave 8900 lumens on 120V, and he ran it on 12V, which is 0.1 of his original voltage, then

0.1^3.4 * 8900 lumens = 0.000398 * 8900 lumens = 3.54 lumens. That's not going to do him much good.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 01:23 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks most kindly Blick for the rundown

Quote:
That's not going to do him much good

Yea hope knows what he's doin'
onebadolegator

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 02:55 pm
@dalehileman,
I will try to explain just what is happening. For the last 54 years , I and others have used the aforementioned bulb for night fishing. We always bought from Ace Hardware until the owner died and his children took over. They quit stocking it because it was a slow seller.They last for years unless you drop them in water while hot, or bang on cement. The one I still have is 44 years old. At one time we used a 6 volt bulb on 15 ft. of lead or 12 volt on 8 ft. of lead. Worked well. Jus ttrying to get more bulbs for the kids just learning to flounder gig. Thanks for everything.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:13 pm
@onebadolegator,
Quote:
Thanks for everything
You're welcome Bad, tho don't think I've been of much help

An LED or other semi of the sort wouldn't draw much current and so wire size would be of no matter
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:11 am
@onebadolegator,
That is an interesting situation. I think I'll run it by this other board I'm a member of. It's a board devoted to building audio equipment, but half the posters seem to be electrical engineers or Information Technology engineers with a minor in Electrical Engineering-I'm neither, just a self-taught hobbyist. They like to discuss all kinds of electronic and also electrical issues in their General section and they have a lot of expertise in all phases of electricity.

Just a few questions before I ask over there. Referring to your post:
Quote:
At one time we used a 6 volt bulb on 15 ft. of lead or 12 volt on 8 ft. of lead. Worked well.

A. What is the power source for your light? A 6 volt boat battery, (not familiar with marine electronics), some other voltage battery or even an AC source? Please specify.

B. When you say "15 ft of lead" or "8 ft of lead", do you mean the wire leading to the bulb is 15 ft or 8 ft? If so, is that wire a special gauge or kind, or just the normal 18 gauge extension cord type wire?

C. When you say "mogul" base, do you mean a base that is screw in, but slightly larger than the usual light base? These are known as "E39" bases.

D. If the proper bulb can be found,but it is in the standard electrical socket size instead of the Mogul socket size, would you object to buying an Mogul-to-standard adaptor to make it work? They are inexpensive, and 1,000 lumens would not seem to require a lot of power.
https://www.amazon.com/MEDIUM-ADAPTER-REDUCER-PORCELAIN-INDUSTRIAL/dp/B0067BOESU

dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:21 am
@Blickers,
Wow Blick; on behalf of One I thank you for your thought-out response. Some of the same q's occurred to me but thought it wuz 'cuz I'm kind of shadowed in that yard
0 Replies