Which movies scared the bejesus out of you when you were a child

chai2

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
How about Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 12:32 am
@chai2,
Did you see that when you were young? I Know I saw it but it might have been years later on television.
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:06 am
@glitterbag,
Oh sure. I loved that movie as a kid.

"You wouldn't be doing these horrible things to me if I wasn't in this wheelchair"

"Butcha ARE Blanche, Ya ARE in that wheelchair "

Hahahaha. I loved that.
roger

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 01:13 am
@chai2,
You're weird, chai. I bet you're proud of that.
NickyReich

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:47 am
@glitterbag,
Beetle Juice and also one more when i was older - The Nightmare Before Christmas.
I was scared so much so parents had to take care of me the night after
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:52 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You're weird, chai. I bet you're proud of that.

I suspect Bette Davis was expectong to get a dark humor laugh out of that. Her famous eyes just about rolled out of her head before delivering that famous line.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 04:08 pm
@chai2,
Oh, I just remembered Cape Fear, the original with Robert (I'm creepy) Mitchum. There were so many tense moments I was a shivering wreck. Plus, Mitchum really does creep me out, he looked like what I imagine a serial killer would look like. I know, I know, serial killers don't ever look like serial killers. At least not until you find out they are serial killers.
dnsol2k16

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 04:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Coraline, definitely
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 05:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Robert DeNiro was awesomely serial killerish in the remake too.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 06:12 pm
@chai2,
I don't think anyone mentioned Psycho, how could we miss that. The shower scene was horrific, but the shadow on the other side of the curtain set up the terror perfectly. It took me years before I was able to watch the scene on the staircase or the one in the fruit cellar. Even today, the music, wow the music tenses me up.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 09:52 pm
Snood mentioned The Exorcist, I remember that was the first time I was able to leave the house after my first son was born (to see the movie in Baltimore). The movie was chilling, the special effects were frightening and the shocks were shocking.
The first time I heard that story I was 14 and in a Catholic High School. I had never heard of exorcism, but Sister Mary Thomas told us of this young boy in Georgetown who had been possessed and after thorough research the arch diocese or the Vatican ( hard to remember because we were 14 and thought the nun was just trying to scare us) decided it was an actual demonic possession and sent 'a trained exorcist ' to vanquish the multiple demons. I remember the story included beds floating off the floor, and a few other things. But it was years later when I read an introduction to the Exorcist in a magazine, before it got personally frightening. Of course when I read the book, I was shivering in my timbers. But remember, the nuns told us it was a boy, the book and movie
claimed it was a girl, but it was eerie as hell. Looking back, I'm surprise I laughed off the nuns, and it only grabbed my attention when I read the book. Perhaps it's really a good idea that 14 year olds don't run the country.

roger

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:30 pm
@glitterbag,
I saw The Exorcist too. Surprising, the seriously scary part was in a hospital where they were doing diagnostics. I don't know what was scary about all the chrome instruments and blue tinted lighting, but it worked for me.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 01:40 am
@roger,
Depending on how old you were, the hospital stuff made it seem legitimate. It really was a well made movie. I don't think anyone came out feeling indifferent.

Ive been dealing with pneumonia since June, then recovered (?) and it reoccured in September. I have never ever had pneumonia before June, but it really stinks, it make you terribly tired, makes you cough and dammit, the coughing keeps you awake. So I must sign off, it's very late here on the East Coast, and tomorrow is Grandparents day at our granddaughter's kindergarten class. If I don't get to sleep soon, I'll need an eyeball visine drip. That would be worse than the time I arrived at a Parent Teacher meeting directly after a dentist appt. My jaw was so numbed up, I drooled and slurred. It's awkward, and their young eyes are just so young, they suspect you might be disabled or drunk. Sigh!!!!!!

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 03:47 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

How about Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

I only saw that a few years back - never knew, but it was creepy, yes!
glitterbag

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 12:49 am
@CalamityJane,
This doesn't really qualify as a movie from childhood, but a few years back we saw a movie called 'Night Crawler'. It was about free lance photographers with police radios and how they race to get to a crime scene before the police, so they can take unfettered gruesome pictures.

It was sinister and creepy.
snood

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 05:29 am
@glitterbag,
Jake Gyllenhaal has become one of my favorite actors.
chai2

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 09:05 am
@snood,
Indeed. He became one of my favorite actors after seeing Night Crawler.

That is a great movie.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 09:10 am
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235068/

Quote:
Sportswriter Paul Taylor, after a near-death experience on the operating table, can hear the voices of the recently dead. These voices direct him to people who need help from supernatural dangers. In this story, his mission takes him to a remote Maine island inhabited by a murderous man-like creature made from mud and clay.

This was a TV movie, and as an eight-year-old kid, the mud monster was terrifying.... Especially the part where its hand was cut off, and kept scuttling around and choked someone.

That movie terrified me for years....
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 10:33 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Indeed. He became one of my favorite actors after seeing Night Crawler.

That is a great movie.

Me three!!!! He was so malevolent, it's was very unsettling.
chai2

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 10:39 am
@glitterbag,
I read that he lost a lot of weight for that role, so he could look like how he saw the character, a coyote.

He sure looks like one in it.

There's one scene where he's driving and as gone totally over the edge. His eyes are completely surrounded by the whites of his eyes. Totally nuts.

Isn't this picture just saying "Trust me." ?

Not.

https://thegoodjobs.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/jake-gyllenhaal-nightcrawler.jpg
0 Replies