The Ghosts and Ghouls are Coming Out of Your TV!

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 08:53 pm
These are pretty horrifying times. We have threads about good or great horror movies and a thread about the worst horror movies out there.

Why not a thread about good or great horror television shows?

Many horror tv series tend to be anthology series like American Horror Story and classics like Tales from the Crypt and to some degree, The Twilight Zone.

What television show creeps you out (but in a good welcomed way)?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 876 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2020 08:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 01:27 am
@tsarstepan,
There was a TV series based on the 1972 Movie "The Night Stalker" that started around 1973 or 74. It starred Darren McGavin who played a reporter investigating a serial killer who later we realize is a Vampire. Sounds tired doesn't it?????? it's not.......there is a scene in the first episode where Kolchak spots the suspect in a parking lot, and you don't really think it's a vampire until two Dobermans charge the figure and then the next thing you hear is two "Yikes" as he kills the dogs in mid-air. It scared the bejesus out of me, and I don't scare easily.

I don't know if it still holds up to scrutiny, but it was satisfying every week when you see Kolchak tackle another strange mystery that always involves a dreadful supernatural figure or a 'haint' as some folks call them. I'm pretty sure it was in B&W, but back then I only had a B&W TV......who knows.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 06:37 am
@glitterbag,
There’s a box set available. I got it a while ago, only seen a few though. Very enjoyable nonsense, great protagonist.

It’s in colour.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 06:40 am
The one that always gets a mention is the one off BBC drama The Stone Tape which centres around the idea that ghost sightings are some sort of recording being played back by the stones that witnessed the original event.

I remember it was very scary, but I was just a wee lad at the time.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There’s a box set available. I got it a while ago, only seen a few though. Very enjoyable nonsense, great protagonist.

It’s in colour.

I'll have to look for it, is it the series that aired in the mid 1970's? I know they slicked it up and reintroduced it in 2004 or 5, but it only lasted a year, the vibe was too earnest.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:27 am
@glitterbag,
I believe it is, I first came across it at the end of the eighties and it’s the same one.

Since I got the box set I’ve only seen the first one about the vampire, but I will watch the others, there’s a problem with the dvd player not hooked up to the telly.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:31 am
Can't remember the name of the movie, but it had Tony Curtis delivering a line like, "My fadda, da King, tole my mudda, da Queen, dat my brudda, da odda prince, was da problem."

It was a real horror show.

Can anyone help me with da name?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:36 am
There was a gothic series on the BBC called Supernatural. It was about a club of the Damned where all prospective entrants have to tell a tale of blood chilling terror or be killed. That was back in the 1970s as well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
That sounds more like a Danny Kaye film than a horror movie.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Possibly The Prince who was a thief.
0 Replies