Mold

Pitter

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
What do you use to get rid of mold in a car that's been sitting for four months?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,169 • Replies: 9
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
Clorox.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
For a start, park it on asphalt in the direct sun with the windows tightly closed. The heat should kill the mold--then you can start scrubbing.

Clorox is an excellent addition to the scrub water.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
Thank you both. I was afraid to ask on "CarTalk" since they'd probobly tell me to set the interior on fire to kill it.
0 Replies

CharlesE

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:10 pm
Actually, Borax, or 20 Mule Team Borax is what you want. The guys on Cartalk don't tell you what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's not the right answer. It seems to me you're looking for a psychological fix, but if not, use Borax.

Sun does not kill mold, and Bleach (Clorox brand) does not kill mold either. Find a mushroom and pour straight bleach on it, it will grow back. Sun just dries up the moisture, so that mold has no habitat to grow on.

have a drink to the death of that damn mold,
Charles
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:25 am
Psychological fix?! Are you suggesting I go to a psychiatrist to treat my mold problem? I think if you pour borax or clorox on a muchroom and it wilts that will be the end of that particular mushroom. They don't "grow back". Instead new ones sprout up nearby. In my particular case the problem is indeed moisture since the truck is parked for months on end in a humid "hollow"in Missouri. I think I'll skip the medical solution and give borax a try.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
CharlesE--

Thanks for the advice--and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

CharlesE

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:31 am
Thank you, oh Noddy one Cool

Pitter, ok, alright, calm down. I wan't saying you need to go to the doctor.

Chlorine Bleach AND Borax. I wasn't sure about mixing the two, but it's OK. The Borax helps rip the F'ers out of the fabric, I think. Chlorine Bleach (Clorox) will kill about 40% of the various breeds of mold. Clorox funded a study that I heard showed this. If you have something that you use with food, don't use Clorox, a microwave works.

-Charles
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 07:16 am
Ok I cancelled my appointment with the Doc and let me echo the above, welcome to A2Know.
0 Replies

CharlesE

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:02 am
I was drawn here by my search for mold hunting, so trying to condense the knowledge is good for my brain, too.

-Charles
0 Replies