home improvement by people who have no idea what to do

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:51 pm
I lately have been helping my brother and sister in law in their backyard, making a deck ,putting in a hot tub and landscaping, etc. We have made several trips to the home improvement store and I have observed many people who know less then we do about how to do it.There tons of shows on the TV about how to design and improve you home and garden. I wish we had filmed what we have gone through trying to do some simple home improvement task. Bob Vila, who is a GURU in this market ,would shake in his boots to see the way we have done some of these tasks. The TV shows give the impression that anybody can do these things, but this isn't true. My brothers is not a person to give up, so I know we will succeed but I wish I would have documented the nightmares. It would make a REAL reality show on do it yourself TV>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 791 • Replies: 3
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:19 pm
Welcome to A2K mcbluesbrothers!

I am a do it yourselfer and over the years I just learn as I go. I do think it takes a person with a certain aptitude and knowledge to carry out the task the way it was intended to be done. But with limited finances and a real yearning to get the job done...you would be surprised at what laymen can accomplish.

By the way, that's a great idea for a reality show Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:53 am
I learned many of my home improvement skills simply by doing. For instance, I once told a man his ceiling needed a texture or stomp on it. He asked if I knew how to stomp it? Certainly, I replied. I was a bit nervous having never attempted it before, but I recalled watching another fellow at it a few years prior. Got me a tub and stomping brush, set up and went to town. I ran a blade over the rough stomp that flattened much of it and it blended in perfectly with the old ceiling. My motto: we don't need no stinking trade schools.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
Don't feel bad. I install high end appliances and a lot of my jobs are to fix what the contractor messed up or could not do. Hands on experience is the best way to learn. Good luck with your projects.
0 Replies