I'll be headed to Antarctica on January 12, 2005

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:57 pm
We should be getting plenty of photo ops on this trip to take pictures of penguins, seals, whales, and the glaciers. Anybody that wants a postcard from Antarctica can send me their "real" name and address by PM when it becomes available. I must limit this to the first ten (10), because I don't want to spend my whole time writing postcards when I'm at Hope Island.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,349 • Replies: 43
No top replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:00 pm
c.i.

You really make me sick! You get to do all this travel & I don't get to do any! Evil or Very Mad Nah, don't tell me how well managed finances make all this possible! It's too late!

Just wanted to vent ... please continue! Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:04 pm
ci, please send me some ice particles.

It's good to see you, by the way.

Where ya been?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:06 pm
My God! You're back C.I. Wonderful! Shocked
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:11 pm
C.I. I thought you got the boot. Glad you're back.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:12 pm
Why would C.I. get the boot?

Do you think his wild rogue personality would cause his dismissal?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:36 pm
I could have sworn that man was too stubborn to get back into the A2K fray.

Hmmm. and I also thought that Gus knew everything. Live and learn, Letty.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:40 pm
Letty wrote:
Hmmm. and I also thought that Gus knew everything.

I know almost everything, Letty.

I'm a little weak in the Etruscan department though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:45 pm
and I'm a little weak in the knees...<smile>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:51 pm
January? Wait, it's summer then, right?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:36 pm
hey C. I., welcome back, we missed ya.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 08:40 pm
Thanks to everybody that welcomed me back. Yeah, I was banned. Missed all of you guys too! Just felt that strange emptyness the past several months. SeattleBuzz is nice, but it's a bit too tame for my blood. Can't even tell somebody to go fly a kite; absoutely no personal attacks. Will stay engaged at both sites to keep me grey matter active for the old age to do everything I can to delay that senior syndrome.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:47 pm
I'm glad to see you back, ci.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:48 pm
I love your new dress, swimpy.

Very fetching.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:36 pm
Thanks, swimpy. Glad to be back!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
I saw a program on the Travel Channel about a Russian Icebreaker that plows you a vacation onto the Ross Shelf andthen, once youre there, they chopper and snowcat you to the transantarctic mountains.
HAving worked in baffin Island and Ellsmere Island, there is no way i would actually pay to go to such a place, even in their summer. the ice on n ice shelf is many times bluer than those in glacial debouchment areas like in aLaska or Greenland. You will see blue colors that , on a clear and bright sunny day, will look like the color of the sky in yosemite.
The one thing about the ice breaker trip that left me blown away was the overabundance of all kinds of gourmet foods. They fed the people like veal calves and I got full just watching the 5 or 6 meals a day.

Will you sail near Tierra del Fuego as you head south or north? My secret fantasy is to sail the Horn. however, fat chance of that since I dontever figure owning a sailboat and my boating buddies who do, arent open for that kind of thrill.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:31 pm
farmerman, Yes, we will fly into Ushuaia from Buenos Aires after spending three nights. We sail due east for two days from Ushuaia to South Georgia where we land at three spots, and also get to visit Shakelton's grave. From there, we sail southwest to to Coronation Island and Elephant Island, then down to Hope Bay. We then cruise the Drake Passage, go around the Horn, and return to Ushuaia for our flight home with a layover in Buenos Aires, total of 18 days.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
btw, this will be my second time around the Horn. I did my first one back in November of 2002 when I sailed from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:05 pm
yep, always interesting holidays. Please continue your report.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 12:16 pm
Thanks, Gus. That's actually my grandmother in her grass skirt that my uncle brought her back from the South Pacific when he returned from WWII. When I was a kid it was my favorite picture of her.

Sorry for the interuption, ci. Please carry on.
0 Replies