4 Noble Truths

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
All suffering is relative. Some enjoy life more than others. It all depends upon our perspective of what this life is all about which is primarily influenced by our genes and environment. I would dare say that any individual that is catered to all their lives with the best shelter, food, and medical care does not necessarily experience the most joyful, painless, life. It's also true that the poorest amongts us that have not much in terms of 'creature comforts' as measured in today's term can experience the joyful and painless life, because nothing else is equal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 10:19 pm
I agree, C.I.. In my experience some of the happiest people are poor and some of the most unhappy are rich. This does not mean, of course, that poverty is a prerequisite for happiness or that the rich should give away their wealth. But it does indicate to me that material wealth is not sufficient for happiness. It helps not to have to worry about food, shelter, clothing and healtlh care, but it is no guarantee of happiness. Psychologists should spend more time, as did Mazlow, on studying the determinants of happiness, not just the determinants of unhappiness.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 11:11 pm
Happiness/Sorrow, Pleasure/Suffering, Wealth/Poverty, Good/Bad, Virtue/Evil. These are all constructs that arise from our placing values on the products of our senses. It is our attachments, and emotions that give meaning to these terms. They are not outside outselves, but within.

Let them go, and their power over you will be reduced. Live moderately. Pay attention and focus on tht which is immediate. Be mindful, not impetuous. Let the past go, and the future will take care of itself.

To add, subtract. To multiply, divide. To recieve, give. This aint hard stuff guys. You can live a lot better, if you'll just relax and enjoy what has already been given to you in abundance. From time-to-time you will find opportunities to relieve other people's suffering, do it but with caution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
Asherman, Your last paragraph says it all; it's the humanity in ourselves that enriches, not the other way around.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
VERY well stated, Ash. A very nutritious capsule for us to ingest everyday.
0 Replies