Sub feeding

Buck O

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 12:48 pm
Set me straight if needed. I'm going to sub off of my 200A panel and go to a detached metal building I have erected. Have studied and viewed post here and at other sites for my needs. I plan to go at it this way, I will be exiting the 200 amp source panel with a 125A two pole breaker, going underground in 2" PVC conduit @ 24" depth, conductors are copper @80' long, (2) # 1 line conductors (1) #1 neutral conductor and (1) #6 insulated ground. Of course we are also unbonding the sub panel since it was cheaper to buy a main load center. Also, an 8' driven rod and # 6 solid copper wire will be used for grounding the sub panel. Is anybody going to try and ask me to use #2 wire and save on cost??? Or should I stay with #1 because of an amount of voltage drop in the 80" conductor run and for future needs. Surely I could have went with a 100 amp panel and used #2 but the future or perhaps the next owner may have more needs. Also, since I have not bought any equipment yet and I was thinking about sub feeding to a 200 amp panel in the detached building, is there any limitation for the size of the sub feed breaker coming out of my meter panel (source). I have reviewed all of the nomenclature and data at the source and it no where states the maximum size of breaker that can be used on the busses below the main breaker. I am under the assumption since the busses are fed by a 200 amp main, then they are rated for 200 amps for sub feeding. Of course from what I know, 150 amp is the largest breaker that can be added to my source panel. The only notation in my box states, " Use CU Only Conductors At Branch Circuit Breaker Terminals Rated Greater Than 90 Ampers". At the store, 200A load centers were the cheapest, if I bump the wire up, I could get at least 150 amps to the building. Appreciate any input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 532 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 01:34 pm
@Buck O,
Only thing that comes to mind is you may be pushing the limit on main ckt breaker since it has to handle both house and out building current demand.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 01:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Foot I admire your patience
Buck O

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 02:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
Are you speaking of me setting up the 200A panel and trying to push 150 amps over there? If so, that is a good point, I could go back to the 125A. Myself, I will not be using anything near that. Just always trying to not under do it. The biggest draw at the house is HVAC on a 30A circuit. In the shop there will rarely ever be two pieces of machinery running at the same time. A compressor and a mig/stick welder are the two biggest loads, other than those, just lighting and small 120V stuff. Will have to look at a voltage drop chart and see if the #1 wire will do for the 80' run. Beings it is rated for 150 amps, I am already in the bump up one size catagory. Copper just cost more money as it gets heavier, but I do not think this is any where near overkill. That is why I asked about someone talking me into #2 AWG wire. By certain rules it can be applied to a 125A install, although, the longer run and my load clacs may not allow this anyway, so I think I am on the safe side. I will run this past the local jurisdiction before I purchase any materials. Thanks to all
dalehileman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 02:46 pm
@Buck O,
Buck yours too
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 06:17 pm
@Buck O,
Quote:
I will run this past the local jurisdiction before I purchase any materials.

It'll probably work fine given your use scenario but the 'local jurisdiction' is the last place I'd ask...
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 06:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks, I took lessons from Job.
0 Replies

Buck O

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 10:47 am
@Leadfoot,
And thanks for your candor regarding the "Local Jurisdiction". An 88 year old lady told me on Friday, in all her life, "People who represent people, ie: preachers, lawyers, public officials, anybody from the government, etc. always seem to be interested in your best interest or your safety". "Ironically, they are really trying to get to what is in your pocket". Now!, the problem with running this past the local jurisdiction, they get the last say on the subject. Bummer, sometimes they just like to flex their muscle and let you know they have the power to say the most powerful of words, "NO". See, what I have proposed is adequate and sound, but even at the slightest hint of me acting like I know more than the official, he smirks and comes off with another self serving remark that will make me change my adequate intentions and adapt to his authouritarian rule. It is not always about the specific orthodoxy or the fundemental manner of the trade in question but more of a pissing contest. Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant. They gonna get the last word, I know, been there before. Thanks.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 11:24 am
@Buck O,
Buck I'm amazed by all you fellas
Buck O

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 01:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Amazed yes, Still learning in my seventh decade and still in an upright position.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 04:19 pm
@Buck O,
Mee too Buck, in my eighth and a half
0 Replies