Husquvarna Chain Saw

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:03 am
If anyone is familiar with using a chainsaw, specifically a Husquvarna brand , can you recommend a model for a homeowner. I am looking at a low range professional model, not a super small one as the trees are thick and large on the property and the user is experienced. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,348 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:29 am
I used to be a tree trimmer, but have been out of the game for a while. I couldn't recommend a particular model but we used 16" ones for about everything. I have heard that the Husquavarnas are good so is the Stihl.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:53 am
I have found a 16" bar adequate to most general tasks. Longer bars are useful for heavier cutting, but require more skill, attention, and experience to use properly, while shorter bars often are just quite not enough to efficiently or safely get the job done. Most important is to be certain the chain is always sharp, always well but not excessively oiled, and always properly tensioned. Either Huskies or Stihls are sturdy, reliable machines, as are Poulans, examples of all 3 of which I happen to own (I burn several cords of wood a year, as well as try to keep up with a many-treed multi-acre yard), with good ergonomic design and plenty of user-freindly features. In choosing one for youself, go for the one that seems to you to have the best balance and most comfortable overall feel. One thing you might want to consider would be the newer models which sport 4-cycle engines, and do not require pre-mixing oil and gas. My next chainsaw definitely is gonna be of that type.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:00 am
timberlandko wrote:
... Either Huskies or Stihls are sturdy, reliable machines, ...

I was sure that you would promote Stihl, timber: timbersports Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:07 am
Right you are, Walter Laughing

My current, and long-time Personal Favorite, the MS 191 T with 16" bar.
0 Replies

weinerles

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:45 am
Interesting you all seem to say a 16". I also tried a forestry web site and they recommended 18 and even 20" bar. I let them know the situation same as i did here. I got a recomndation fora Rancher 55 model.

I do appreciate all this input.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
For heavy cutting, mostly mature-tree felling, I use a 20" rig exclusively. A 16" rig is a lot lighter, easier to handle, and all-in-all safer for "amature" or occasional use. You're gonna be doin' homeowner-style trimmin' and prunin', even if a bit more intensively than average, not clearin' a forrest lot sunup-to-sundown, day-after-day, acre-after-acre.

If you're a real big, beefy sort, then you might be comfortable usin' a larger rig day-to-day, but I really think a 16" rig is all you really need, and most likely would be happiest with.
0 Replies

jbnimble

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
I have a Husqvarna 350, purchased in 2001 and used around the yard a few times per year.

The kill switch -- critical for safety -- recently failed. Through trobleshooting I found a wire from the switch to the ignition module is broken. This wire, a simple 12" wire, will cost about $20.

When I called the dealer he said he has had the same problem on multiple Husqvarnas he uses personally.

I have been thinking of getting a smaller saw for some jobs. It won't be a Husqvarna.
0 Replies