Why you should volunteer

RyanO45

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:02 pm
I just came back from a volunteering event in Richmond Hill, Ontario and I figured I may as well talk about why more people should volunteer. I have a few reasons for you to volunteer aside for them being mandatory to pass high school in Ontario.
1. More volunteering means more experience. The more you expose yourself to these opportunities, the more things you may or may not be interested in. Volunteering is also a great way to build motor skills that you need later on in life.
2. Volunteer to benefit others, not yourself. This is partially wrong. You still want to benefit yourself but do it to help others with those events you are doing. For example, fundraising events. You may not enjoy fundraising but do it to help others if you are fine with doing it and taking a bit of time out your schedule. If you really hate volunteering then there are is something wrong with you (No offense but that is true.) Just kidding. It just means you care about yourself more than others which is bad for the most part.
3. Meet new people. I've met plenty of people over the few volunteering events I've done so far and I've kept in contact with some of them (by some I mean one). Volunteering allows for you to make connections with others and possibly make new friends based off of interests that you have in common. There's nothing like working along side another person for a few hours. You get to really be with the other person and connects.
4. Volunteer to have fun. Volunteering in my opinion is A LOT OF FUN. You get to do all of those things and having fun is the most important part of volunteering. If you're in high school, take a bit of time out your schedule to connect with others, gain experience, and help out your community. You keep the community in your area running and that's why I enjoy volunteering.

If you have any volunteering experience you want to share, post it in the comments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 735 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:52 pm
@RyanO45,
For just what tho Ryan
RyanO45

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 04:04 pm
@dalehileman,
The York Region Kidney Walk
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 04:09 pm
@RyanO45,
But Ryan how about The Southwest Prostate Shuffle
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 04:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Or the Lower Idaho Prolapsed Uterus Shamble?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 06:26 pm
@RyanO45,
I have volunteered for various organizations on and off over the past 40+ years.

I started as a teenager, volunteering in a local hospital. I swore I wasn't going to like it, since it had been my dad's idea that I sign up. Turned out I loved it, as long as they didn't put me into the paediatric ward. That made me a highly desirable volunteer since everyone else wanted to be with the kids. I preferred geriatrics and orthopaedics. As a result , I was often rewarded with shifts working in the gift shop and the coffee shop. Those were primo slots. Not too much shlepping, you got to talk to more people and my experience helped me with part-time work when I was in later high school and then university. I had cashier and service experience that not a lot of others could offer.

I volunteered as an English tutor in university. Ok, but not as much fun as hospital work.

My favourite volunteer gig as an adult has been with the Young People's Theatre. I've helped them run some fundraising events. The best perks there have been opportunities to meet (on a really casual, fun basis) people like Denny Doherty and Mordecai Richler.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 09:45 pm
I think our poster is young and I do get liking volunteers. I worked in a hospital the day I turned sixteen and for years later, but I've had pals who were volunteers, bed pan city, and stayed doing it, until they graduated or whatever.

Don't, please, tell the rest of us what to do.
This website is available world wide and there is much cultural variation.

Quite a few of us are older and you are exhorting us to run out there and volunteer. I'm glad you are into it. Some others may need the help from bossy pants themselves.

Consider your audience.
0 Replies