is this memo grammatically correct?

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 04:53 am
is this memo grammatically and punctuation correct?
We Spend Amazing Time Together and jack was so frankly,humble, and conservative.
I hope He come back here so soon in next year with his lovely wife and children we wait for them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 10

View best answer, chosen by mayaphenomenal
Blickers
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:28 am
@mayaphenomenal,
Quote:
Quote:
We Spend Amazing Time Together and jack was so frankly,humble, and conservative.
If "frank" is applying to Jack, then it modifies a noun, (Jack), and therefore is an adjective, just like "humble" and "conservative" are adjectives. A comma should be put after it like "humble" has. The sentence should be written this way:
We spend amazing time together and Jack was so frank, humble, and conservative.

If you meant frank to apply to "humble", meaning that Jack acted truly humble, not just pretending to be humble, then "frank" modifies "humble". Since "humble" is an adjective modifying "Jack", you need the adverb form of "frank, which is "frankly". So the sentence should be written like this:
We spend amazing time together and Jack was so frankly humble and conservative.

There should be no comma between "frankly" and "humble", since "frankly" is modifying, (affecting), "humble", and you don't need a comma after humble either. First names and nicknames, (Jack is sometimes a nickname, sometimes a legitimate first name), should be capitalized unless the person has some kind of name they have adopted for show business, then it can be written without capitalization. For most normal applications, Jack should be capitalized.

"We" is correct, it is capitalized. "Spend Amazing Time Together" should NOT be capitalized UNLESS:
a. There is some specific company or place that calls itself "Spend Amazing Time Together", like a bar or hotel.
b. The writer wants to put special emphasis on that phrase, frequently in an ironic sense. To do so is pretty advanced writing, and I suggest you not do this until you are more familiar with written English. I only included this because you might come across an article or written piece on the internet where the writer does this, so I let you know that you can capitalize words that normally are not capitalized for a special advanced purpose.

That's the first sentence, I don't have time for the second at the moment. That sentence also has errors. I'm not criticizing you, but you asked. English is not easy to learn.

To save time, I will rewrite the second sentence one way it should be written, (there are other ways to write it correctly).

Quote:
I hope He come back here so soon in next year with his lovely wife and children we wait for them.

I hope he comes back here soon, in the next year, with his lovely wife and children. We wait for them.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm
@mayaphenomenal,
We had spent a most amazing time together, jack so frankly humble and conservative that I hope he comes back here early next year with his lovely wife and children. Jack, we await you all

Blickers I'm impressed by your effort and not having a profile (they're rare) I wonder if you might tell us something about yourself. If in fear of id I am [email protected] and apparently don't care who else knows
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 01:38 pm
@mayaphenomenal,
It is incorrect.

A basic rewrite would go as follows:

We had an amazing time together and Jack was frank, humble and conservative. I hope he comes back soon; within the next year, and brings his lovely wife and children. We await their return.
mayaphenomenal

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 02:37 pm
@Blickers,
thanks for your concern.
0 Replies

mayaphenomenal

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:56 am
@Blickers,
Thanks but I want to know how you know these things ?
how can I learn these things ?
Blickers

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:37 am
@mayaphenomenal,
We went through these things in junior high school and high school, especially when learning a foreign language, (in my case, Spanish in high school, and then German in college). I wish I could remember more of those languages.

The only two tips I could give you are:
a. Remember the difference between adjectives and adverbs. An adjective modifies, (affects) a thing or a person. And adjective modifies, (affects), an action being undertaken. Sometimes the difference is subtle, as in your sentence, but that's the guideline. Also remember that sometimes native English speakers get the two mixed up as well.

b. Read as many pieces written in correct English as you can. A few years ago, it could be simply be said "read", but with the internet there are all sorts of articles being written that are not checked for proper spelling or grammar, (proofread), so reading webpages is not the best source. Published books, novels, articles from legitimate newspapers or internet news sources, are the best places. The more you read correct English, the more the correct phrasing will come to you naturally. It's a process. Nobody can spend their life afraid to speak before they sort out which word is a noun, which is an adverb and which is an adjective-it has to come out naturally. Reading a lot over a period of a few years will give you that ability.

Until then, don't be afraid to make mistakes. In the US, most people are either immigrants or recently descended from immigrants who came here anytime after 1900, frequently several decades after 1900. Typically, immigrants from non-English speaking countries do not speak English in the home, and therefore have accents and use slightly incorrect English when they come here. It used to be socially acceptable to make nasty jokes about that, but no longer. Nowadays, especially on the internet, to make fun of a non-native English speaker's mistakes is widely considered being a bully, and most people side with the non-native English speaker. It is clear you already are able to communicate quite well in English, you just need a little polishing around the edges. So relax, and keep on reading and using English.
mayaphenomenal

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 07:34 am
@Blickers,
thanks for your concern and replay.
I trying to polishing around my English edges. Smile
Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 07:58 am
@mayaphenomenal,
Quote:
thanks for your concern and replay.

thanks for your concern and reply.

I am trying to polish the edges of my English language skills.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 11:22 am
@Sturgis,
Stur I like yours better'n mine. However but I might say "while" instead of "and," while the semi is okay but some might prefer comma
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 04:06 am
@mayaphenomenal,
It is incorrect.
It should be "We spend an amazing time together and Jack was so frank, humble, and conservative.
0 Replies