"No Signal " On Computer Monitor

seac

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 01:54 am
Anybody had this happen? When the "No Signal" appears on the monitor and the monitor goes to sleep, the computer stays on but does nothing. I looked up the causes and cures on Youtube. Thought it would be the worst case, needing new graphic card. But I went through all the simple checks first. Cables, power supply voltages, clean out the dust from the fans and circuit boards using cotton swabs and auto MAF spray. Computer still didn't work. Went back in and pulled the RAM boards out, cleaned the terminals and stuck them back in. Turned on the computer and it now works. Whew, what a relief. I would have lost a lot of apps if I had to buy a new computer. This one is only 4 years old. Just thought I would mention it here so others will know about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,047 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 02:01 am
@seac,
Thanks. I dread the thought of losing my accounting program and all my favorites. I keep backups, but I've had the experience of replacing the computer and having backups not recognized by the new computer.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 12:13 pm
@seac,
Seac had you tried sliding the little arrow off to the side, bottom, etc
seac

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 01:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, I'm not sure what you mean. When the "no signal" appears, the screen is dark and nothing can be done. The monitor then goes to sleep mode, while the computer stays on. If you look this up on Youtube, you will see what I mean. Seems to be a problem some people have had before. Good thing the solution is fairly simple most of the time, but you have to open the computer up.
InfraBlue

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 02:02 pm
Most monitors let you connect through different interfaces. See if you're using the most advanced connection you can possibly use between your computer and your monitor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 03:21 pm
@seac,
Have you tried using iCloud to backup your files? I also have an external hard drive by Western Digital that I can backup files on.
I also have another computer in my garage.
seac

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone, no I don't use Cloud. I do periodically store my favorite files into a separate hard drive, a Western Digital 2TB drive. But it is the apps that cannot be relocated from my computer. I have to repurchase them online and download them again. I use video processing/converting softwares for making my home movies. Maybe I should buy them on CD disks instead of online, then I can always be able to reload them in a new computer.
cicerone imposter

Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:26 pm
@seac,
Your other option is to buy another computer. The cost is very reasonable now compared to several years ago.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 12:45 pm
@seac,
Quote:
When the "no signal" appears, the screen is dark and nothing can be done
Not so sure about that Seac. Next time, try a mouse click, wait a little, then see if it doesn't give you that arrow
cicerone imposter

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 12:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Another option is to unplug the power for 30 seconds.
dalehileman

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh yea Cis of course
0 Replies

seac

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 02:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone, yes I tried that. It was one of the suggested things on Youtube. Didn't work. Others claimed it worked for them. By cleaning the terminals on my RAM boards, my problem was solved. I have been using the computer since then and the problem has not come back. This computer is a desktop, I do have a laptop computer which I use just as much to get on the internet. The RAM board cleaning is shown on YT.
cicerone imposter

Sat 24 Sep, 2016 02:54 pm
@seac,
Good.
0 Replies