:?help with teenage room

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:40 pm
have a problem...im 15 years old and all my life i have had a very boring room...WHITE... but i want a change. The problem is that i have no idea what colour to paint my room. I want a very bold colour that has a colour that accents it nicely (my friend had the idea of useing red and gold in her room [something kinda like that]).....i wud prefer sumthing that accents nice with black/white/mental(like stainless steel colour)...someone told me that i should paint my walls pink [medium to hot pink] and then paint things such as my closet n door black....do you hav any comments on that idea or hav any better ideas?
Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,067 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:45 pm
I am no connaisseur on interior decoration, but I do know one thing. It is not a good idea to paint a bedroom in colors that might prove jarring. A bedroom needs to have an inviting, restful look. People do use bright colors as accents, though!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
Well, the first questions are what's your favorite color? And, if that color was gone, what are the runners up?

Let's say your favorite color is black. That's a pretty drastic color for a room. You really don't want that for all four walls. For one thing, it will make it so that, unless you have a Southern exposure, with sunlight streaming in all the time, the room will look drab and uninviting. But, black can be an accent or can be used on one wall or, as you're thinking, on a closet wall or the like.

Pink is a good coordinator with black, though if the pink is too bright and neon, it can be really jarring.

Finally, if you really can't decide, go to a home improvement store and look at paint chips. Then the paint person can tell you what coordinates with what. Or, you can look at nature or even your wardrobe for inspiration.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:25 pm
Be sure to look into the psychological effect of different colors and the difference between using them as either a backround or just to accent certain areas. For instance, blue can cause your body to release relaxing chemicals and increase your productivity, but if the shade is too dark it could make you feel depressed.

For more information, you could easily go to google and search for key phrases such as "psychological effects of colors".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:37 am
...to follow up on that, green is supposed to be especially calming. (Think "the green room" that talk shows and such have for guests waiting to go on.) A really nice rich green could be nice with the other colors you mention, intense color but not jarring.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
Stacey
Stacey, instead of pink, have you thought of using two shades of coral? The lighter shade of coral on your ceiling and the medium shade on your wall. The salmon color is more sophisticated than pink and is more compatible with other colors than pink. There are many more intense colors that can be used as an accent with coral in your furnishings.

White trim on doors and windows probably would look best in a more conservately decorated room. I wouldn't paint your doors black because they would end up looking like entrances to caves. It's also very hard to paint over black when you are going to make a future change. Touches of black, such as pillows, lamp shades, vases, wall art picture frames, mirror frames, furniture drawer knobs, some black wrought iron furniture, etc. would be an elegant punch of color.

You didn't say what your floorcovering is. The flooring material is important and black can be incorporated into the floorcovering material.

Window coverings can be an accent color, but I would probably use white (perhaps with an accent border color and/or valance) and concentrate my stronger accent colors in the bedspread.

Personally, I don't like "theme" rooms that parents often provide for their children. They become dated very rapidly as the child ages.

Have fun redecorating your room.

BBB
0 Replies

mrflibble

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:18 pm
When I was 15 I decorated my room... I used sponges. I dipped them in yellow, blue and white paint and did sponge prints all over all the walls except for one. On that wall I fixed large MDF boards and covered them in tile adhesive and stuff mirror tiles, cds and odd rusty nails and wierd stuff to it to make a mural. On the ceiling I did dense dark blue sponge prints and nailed a trelis to the jousts to hang things off. Over time my room was great, I made a 3D glow in the dark star system out of thread and glow in the dark fimo, I had a mirror ball, bells, wind chimes... anything that could hang was hung on my ceiling. I loved it. It wasn't understated or relaxing, but I loved it. I still love it. I'm 19 now and I've moved out, and I miss it Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

PennyO

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
Need Help Also
Does anyone know where I might find wall art that is similar to screen printed t-shirts like teenagers are wearing...the ones that say things like "Come to where the sun is...American Beach Resort...Free Hula lessons daily"with the picture in the background. Sort of like roadside art that you can hang on the wall. I'm decorating two teenagers rooms right now...both girls. I searched everywhere for this and can't seem to find anything anywhere. I think it would make great wall art. Help!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
Old Navy has a ton of them. Cheap, too.

Do you mean the actual t-shirts, or prints with a similar feel?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:29 pm
Vintage travel posters (some cool ones!):

http://www.francofolie.com/
http://hawaii-stuff.com/posters/

A bunch more, did a google search with "vintage tourism posters hawaii"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:39 pm
So where's Stacey?

Stacy you say you have a friend who painted her room red and gold? Those are exactly the colors my niece has painted her room in. A rich, warm red, burgundy, and a rich gold.

It's nice, her room. It's too dark for my tastes, but nice.
0 Replies

winterflame9

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:13 am
pleze give me some ideas of what to paint!
Yo there Razz ! I'm seeking for HELP, please help in you have any suggestions :wink: . I'm a 14 yrs old gal, and had just moved into a new house, so I need some ideas of what to paint on my bedroom wall. I like lighter colours like milky pink etc...., So should I draw some human characters or just simply paint light blue, milky yellow and milky yellowish-green stripes? Or do you have any other comments? pleze help and reply as soon as possible. thanks :wink: !
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:54 am
How much light does the room get? If it gets a lot of light, you can go darker on the walls. As for stripes, you might find that you want them to be precise (and if you can do that, great), because, if they aren't straight or the same width, you'll probably notice.

As for painting human characters, that depends on how good you are at drawing.
0 Replies

winterflame9

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
Hi Jespah! Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it very much. As for my room there is only one window. I'm not really good at drawing though but at least I can draw some straight lines using the help of scotchtape as not to draw crooked line. (just stick a straight line of scothtape on the wall leaving a small gap in the middle for you to draw the stipes. Even if you are not good in drawing straight lines, you will still get straight line after you took out the scothtape.)
0 Replies

winterflame9

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
Can anyone give me some more ideas or commend? I really need your quick reply, thanks for all your attention.
0 Replies

winterflame9

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
Can anyone give me some more ideas or commend? I really need your quick reply, thanks for all your attention.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
Winterflame
Winterflame, a good color scheme for someone with an on-line name of Winterflame would be terre cotta colors (similar to the color of terre cotta garden pots and floor tiles.)

Two shades of terre cotta, the lighter one for the ceiling and one or two shades darker for the walls. Just be sure you choose the two colors from the same paint chip strip so you don't mistakenly mix orange and pink terra cotta base colors because they won't be compatible.

If you don't want to use terra cotta colors, any two shades of a different color will work equally well. You could use only one color, but I think two colors are very attractive, especially if there is not a lot of light in your room as the lighter ceiling color will reflect the light better.

Using these two shades with (I assume) white window, door, and molding paint colors, will give you a lot of freedom to experiment with darker or more brilliant accent colors on your furniture, linens, window treatments, pillows, picture frames, etc.

Instead of painting directly on your walls to create a theme, look for some great fabrics that express a theme you like. Then buy an artist's stretcher bar (the wood frame on which artist canvas is stretched for a painting) as large as you want and staple the fabric to the frame and hang it on a wall. That way, you achieve your theme goals, but it is easy and inexpensive to change as you grow into young womanhood and your tastes change. You can use the stretcher bar over and over again. Look for fabic remnants to save money. There are huge selections of fabrics from which to choose one that you like and there is no sewing required. You might even want to cover some pillows with the same fabric for a great effect. You don't need a sewing machine to cover pillows if you don't have one.

BBB
0 Replies