an open mind....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,645 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:10 pm
Because there is little good reason to believe there is something when you die. I don't have closed mind, i just consider the possibility remote and unlikely absent any evidence to warrant the assumption.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:16 pm
Why do some people think there IS something out there after we die?

It's a bit of a 50/50 crap-shoot and the dead folks aren't talking. Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:23 pm
I agree with my esteemed collegues. IMO, the entire concept of an afterlife is so remote, that it is not even worthy of consideration. If I postulated that when we die we all come back as cocker spaniels and tree frogs, that concept would have about as much validity as any other that is kicking around nowadays!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:27 pm
Why do some people believe there is nothing when you die???

For the same reason, I suppose, that others "believe" there is something.

Some people choose to guess one way; some the other.

And some just don't bother to guess.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:44 pm
Just a question:
If someone believe that there's no afterlife or heaven or hell...
Then why did he decide to live an ordinary righteous life?
I mean if someone was poor, he just can steal, kill, sell drugs away from the eyes of the law... and then having a wonderful life at Riviera on the French coast???
Since it's just one life, then why do people accept their ordinary life?
It's just ridiculous when thinking of just one life and then accept to live in misery.

And please keep the good manners aside Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:47 pm
Cyanure wrote:
Just a question:
If someone believe that there's no afterlife or heaven or hell...
Then why did he decide to live an ordinary righteous life?
I mean if someone was poor, he just can steal, kill, sell drugs away from the eyes of the law... and then having a wonderful life at Riviera on the French coast???
Since it's just one life, then why do people accept their ordinary life?
It's just ridiculous when thinking of just one life and then accept to live in misery.

And please keep the good manners aside Very Happy

I guess there are people who think that the only motivation for being "good" or "moral" is a reward...or at least, avoidance of punishment.

It ain't so, Cy...and it is cynical to think it is. (Hummm...just realized that your screen name and the word "cynical" begin with the same two letters.)
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:52 pm
Frank
Quote:
I guess there are people who think that the only motivation for being "good" or "moral" is a reward...or at least, avoidance of punishment.

Don't you think that if there were no speed tickets, then people will drive at 200 mph?
It's the same concept. This is the nature of humans. Without a law of reward and punishment they would turn into stone aged creatures.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:57 pm
I see no reason to beleive that we are not "stone aged creatures" We have only developed bigger stones.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:21 pm
We are still animals. Like all animals we have our social order, our morals, if you will. Belief concerning life after death has no bearing on it.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:28 pm
It is pretty well established that the neurons and various structures in our brain generate consciousness, mind, ego, self, soul, or whatever you want to call it. Disease or injury to certain parts of the brain will cause us to lose specific functions. Drugs that affect the brain affect our consciousness and personality. The sense of self disappears completely when the brain is numbed by anesthesia. And once the physical brain decays, there is no plausible way for consciousness to continue to exist.

Sorry, but eternal life in paradise with your loved ones seems to be nothing more than a comforting myth. I hope that I am wrong, but I'm too much of a realist to bet on it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:42 pm
Cyanure wrote:
Frank
Quote:

Don't you think that if there were no speed tickets, then people will drive at 200 mph?
It's the same concept. This is the nature of humans. Without a law of reward and punishment they would turn into stone aged creatures.

I think that many, many people...perhaps more than you would guess, Cy, have absolutely no "belief" in a heaven or hell...but who are decent, moral, ethical people.

The idea that people who don't "believe" in reward or punishment will go nuts and kill and steal is absurd. And cynical.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:43 pm
Oh, by the way...

...if there were no speeding tickets...I would not drive 200 miles per hour...and I know more people who wouldn't also than I know who would.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
Cyanure wrote:

You may be right that it is the same concept but an afterlife isn't necessarily the only possibly reward or punishment. If I spent my life robbing people, killing people, etc.. it's fair to assume that they'd have little problem doing the same to me. Looking over your shoulder with no one to trust isn't exactly an enjoyable way to spend what lifetime you may have. If a people forego the opporutinty to cause mayhem amongst their peers they have the chance to live their own life in relative peace where they can persue whatever it is that makes them happy. Acceptance into a society is a reward of it's own.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:39 pm
I'm with Frank on this one. I don't believe in one thing or the other, as it's not something I think about.

I consider myself a very nice person and treat everyone the way I like to be treated :-)
0 Replies

Sign Related

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:14 pm
Me, I think it's either nothing or something after human death for us of a certain. If it is something more after human death for us of a certain I hope it's paradise. I figure whatever rules all that is will bring us of a certain to a better climax of life.

Possibly the soul of a certain of us goes dormant after human death until given by the cosmos an authorty to become the next kind of body that has a brain that enables a mind to be.

I say "of a certain" because some people I do already know what becomes of them after their human death (whoso are not of a certain that I'm referring to). Lets just say there are two types of lives in this world. :wink:
0 Replies

baz

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:04 am
Sign Related wrote:
Me, I think it's either nothing or something after human death for us of a certain. If it is something more after human death for us of a certain I hope it's paradise. I figure whatever rules all that is will bring us of a certain to a better climax of life.

Possibly the soul of a certain of us goes dormant after human death until given by the cosmos an authorty to become the next kind of body that has a brain that enables a mind to be.

I say "of a certain" because some people I do already know what becomes of them after their human death (whoso are not of a certain that I'm referring to). Lets just say there are two types of lives in this world. :wink:
people say there
is no evidence, when its there in abundance.apparenly hospital doctors
believe we survive.so many patients
reporting o.b.e, and doctors are not
fooled by wild theory's. i think some
people totaly lack awareness,they cannot see further than their own nose....
0 Replies

baz

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:17 am
Montana wrote:
I'm with Frank on this one. I don't believe in one thing or the other, as it's not something I think about.

I consider myself a very nice person and treat everyone the way I like to be treated :-)
what i can't understand is , this is supposed to be a paranormal forum, and yet so many
speptics its weird.i may as well go and ask people in the street.we cant escape the fact that we do snuff it eventually,we are going to find out
the truth,i think some peple are in
for a big shock....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:35 am
This s not a "paranormal forum," so you are misinformed. There are those here who might believe in things "paranormal," but i would suggest that except for the religiously motivated, they would be few and far between.

Sign Related knows nothing of the kind "to a certainty"--and neither do you. What the two of you have is belief, and it is a not a belief the possession of which makes you superior to anyone else. You can console yourself, though, with the thought that if you are wrong, which seems likely, you will not be in for a shock.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:47 am
Hospital doctors have never been on the other side and came back to tell about it. Therefore they can't know of a certainty. It's superstitious nonsense to believe in life after death.
0 Replies