Mysterious participants

chai2

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 07:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The ones posting here with no profile information are illegal aliens, bent on martinizing our shirts.

Wonder how many people remember that?

And they'd do it in an hour.

You prompted a fun conversation between Wally and I.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 09:21 pm
@chai2,
I had to search because I could not at first shake out that word.
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Fresh as a Flower in Just One Hour!

I read about the franchise, it was interesting.

Dry cleaning fluid used to be flamable, so the cleaning was done remotely. The storefront was just a pick up and drop off place.

Martin developed a solution that wasn't flamable, so the work could be done right on premises.

It was never a big company, at it's height it had a little over 400 stores. Now it's down to around 200 in the U.S., 400 worldwide

On their website I did a search and there's none in Texas. I put in the zip code of where I grew up in NJ, and the closest was 60 miles away, in PA. When I was a kid, there was one nearby, and that's where we took our clothes.

Wally remembered them, and he came from Southern Illinois. So maybe it was more of a NE/Midwest thing? Don't know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:41 am
I probably remember martinizing from watching TV in California. I lived there until the first of 1957.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 12:01 pm
@dalehileman,
What caused you to wonder about a2k profiles?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 12:49 pm
@panzade,
Pan, I'd suppose often the respondent might like to know more about the poster; age, nat'l, ed., loc, lang, etc etc
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 01:17 pm
@dalehileman,
It's none of your business if they don't want to post a profile.

Some folks are less worried than others about giving away their details, and some are not interested in providing them, especially if they are asking only a question or two, with no intention of staying for years on end. There is good reason for being chary about giving information online.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 01:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It's none of our business if they do not wish to share their profile, but many of us are curious about who is posting. A nameless, profile less poster only increases our curiosity. I'm with dale on this one.
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 02:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I disagree.

I don't have a profile, or my picture. People have a pretty good idea who I am based on my past posts, good, bad or indifferent. If someone wants to know who another person is, put some effort into it.

What a person posts in a profile is only going to be either all kinds of stuff that doesn't let the reader know much about who they really are, some generic statements that could fit anyone, or general ramblings.

The only time I look to see if a person has a profile, and read it if there is one, is if I've already decided the person is a nutjob, and want to entertain myself by learning just crazy they really are.

IRL people don't come with a profile stapled to their forehead, why would they here?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 02:10 pm
@chai2,
You missed my first sentence:
Quote:
It's none of our business if they do not wish to share their profile,
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, I didn't miss your first sentence.

Why would you think I would skip over the first few words, and maybe read every other word, skip some more, and then notice a period on the end?

Please don't tell me what I read, or didn't read.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 02:25 pm
@chai2,
What's your problem?
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 02:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think I stated it very well in my response to your telling me I didn't read what you said.

What is it you don't understand that you can't just tell someone what they did or did not read/do/say? Did you not comprehend my words?

In short, that was my problem.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
It's none of your business
Oss, I merely hope to help correspondents get more, better-tuned response. i suppose some won't like the idea but surely others will

Quote:
There is good reason for being chary about giving information online.
I make no demands whatever, only encourage
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'm with dale on this one
Bless thee Cis
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 02:30 am
People do not always tell the truth about themselves.
There was a young man in Sweden who met a woman over internet and they started to write to one another.
She was really nice and the writing got more and more hot sexy so he wanted to meet her.
She refused, still the hot mails continued.
Somehow he found out where she lived and went there.
Big surprise!!!
It was an old peopleĀ“s home and the sexy lady was an old man.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:05 am
@saab,
The documentary talhotblonde details how disturbed some people can be. I think it's now a movie. Thye documentary shocked me, and that doesn't happen often.
saab

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:25 am
@izzythepush,
Never heard about it, so read the story.
It is shocking and sad.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:28 am
@saab,
Hard to get into such an alien mindset.
0 Replies