Which Of These Pics Would You Use To Compliment Your Main Dating Profile Pic

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 04:28 am
Got my main profile pic sorted thanks to asking this question a while back, would appreciate which (if any) of the pics you like?

Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/TiP2mRs.jpg

View best answer, chosen by Hopeless-Lover
Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 05:18 am
@Hopeless-Lover,
As a portrait photographer and former online dating/meeting group participant, I'd recommend the following:

BCEGHKR

Best ones are BCGK...most natural looking and friendly
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 05:34 am
@Hopeless-Lover,
From Ragman's professional recommendations I'd choose B or C.
Good luck!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 05:47 am
Not A!!!!
0 Replies

jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 06:25 am
@Hopeless-Lover,
Do yourself a few favors:
  • Don't try to use Photoshop or Gimp on your pictures, except for basic cropping or orienting. Pictures A and F would work, except they've both got a ragged Photoshop edge on the left
  • Don't pose with alcohol or its accoutrements. This is why J doesn't work. It doesn't matter how much you imbibe or if you're looking for someone who does, etc. It just plain looks bad, and you'll potentially end up with issues when you're older.
  • Overweight people tend to look better when photographed from above. But you do not (sorry), due to the angling of your hairline, eyebrows, nose, and mouth. When you look downwards, it tends to emphasize the size of your nose and it exaggerates the angularity of your features. This is why M doesn't really work.
  • You look better when you're smiling. D is a decent shot but it doesn't tell me you're a friendly guy. If I'm a person looking for love, D does not tell me that you're receptive to contact.

I suggest taking a few selfies, or have a friend take some snapshots. Most people look better if they stick their chins out, and I bet you will, too. It may seem to be an unnatural pose to you, but try it. Smile, stick your chin out, and have your friend photograph you from the front and about a 45 degree angle on either side (not a full profile). Just experiment and try a few different things.

Note: I'm not an expert like Ragman by any means, but I have seen a ton of online images and a lot of people seem to run only 750 meters of a 1K race. They have a decent wardrobe but the pose is wrong. They have great lighting but they don't smile, etc. You can take hundreds of pictures with a cell phone camera. Be choosy.
contrex

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 06:36 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Overweight people tend to look better when photographed from above.

I wouldn't say he is overweight, a bit chunky maybe, like I am actually, but we can't all be shaped like ballet dancers.
Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 06:42 am
I don't think he looks overweight, either. My purely anecdotal experience over the years, from talking to women is that they are interested in the shape of a man's head (with your short hair, they can easily see that) and in your eyes. You may not be a beefy, muscular type, but you don't look skinny and weak either. I'd say your photos will show you off to good advanatage.
Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 06:43 am
Personally, i think "C" shows your off to your best advantage. "S" is good, too.
Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 07:33 am
@Setanta,
Yes, S is good, too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 08:22 am
@contrex,
You're right, and I shouldn't have implied that he was heavy. It's more that so many people are heavy these days and the shot from above looks good (usually), so it's possible that he's getting that kind of advice, and it's being generalized, when it shouldn't be.

He looks rugby-sized, which is perfectly fine. But the downwards angle isn't doing him any favors.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 11:27 am
@Hopeless-Lover,
c, e , k, p and s are the ones that might make me take a second look at a profile

e gives a clue that you have friends

p shows an interest you have

(def don't look overweight at all to me)

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
I was fine with almost all of them, some more than others. Paused at Q as a no.
First and last run through was BCFGHPS.

On looks, I've heard they matter, there are studies about all that, but in my long life I've been a woman attracted to many many men, from 5'3" and chunky (mountain climber) and to 6'5", wiry thin ( a present doctor of mine whose mother I could be).

For me it's eyes, brains, some confidence but not stupid confidence, and probably most of all, sense of humor, which I think of as a kind of perspective.

Edit - I forgot voice. I've been known to melt with a voice.. such as my husband's.
0 Replies