landscape, portraits, abstract, still life?

Vivien

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:18 am
landscape, portraits, abstract, still life, life painting/drawing etc?

which do you paint/photograph most?

which interest you most when you are looking at other people's work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 2
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:05 am
Vivien

I *used* to draw/print mainly people. Faces, portraits, nudes, studies ... but I gave up, I'm sorry to say.

In terms of what interests me in art & photography, well often the artist's style/approach is what attracts me, as much as subject matter. It wouldn't matter what subject, say Picasso, drew/painted/sculpted/etc .... I'd probably still be drawn to it, because it's vital, interesting & he's so darn talented.

That said, I DO find studies of people & portraits fascinating, often. Probably because I find people intriguing ... physical appearance, Facial expressions & what makes them tick .... There are so many admired "people" artworks I could mention, I don't quite know where to start ...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:25 am
start! Very Happy

I do enjoy life drawing and sketching people but most of my work tends to be landscape based and i am often more drawn to landscapes by others - such as Prentice and Jackson whose work I've often quoted

I like landscapes that catch the atmosphere. light and mood of place and have that extra dimension. Constable, though obviously brilliant doesn't have that 'hairs on the back of the neck' quality of Turner's sketches.

I love the self portraits (and others) of Rembrandt - for their honesty and insight and wonderful handling of paint - all globs and dashes closes up and so contemporary - and then as you stand back it all comes together and the character and invasion of 'personal space' is incredible. Also Schiele and Rodin for their lovely lively line that is so economical and so telling. Oh and Modigliani for the wonderful glowing colours and simple shapes. Gwen John for the quiet subtlety.

Do you never feel the desire to paint/draw now?
0 Replies