My favourite spoon - your favourite cup

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:45 am
Lately, I've noticed that I keep using the same teaspoon ( a dancing Snoopy on the handle ), mug ( it's caramel coloured inside, white outside, and says TEA on it ) and plate ( a 1950's plate with green, olive and brown leaves and branches on it), over and over and over.

The "good" dishes never come out of the cupboard - I'm not sure if Setanta's even ever seen them. Shocked

Do you have a favourite spoon / mug / cup / glass / bowl / plate?\

Are there specific things that HAVE to be used to serve particular things?

Share your fixations here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,317 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:50 am
Just only my doggy mug, which holds exactly the right amount of coffee for the one-cup machine my sweetiepie (smoochsmoochsmoochsmoochsmooch) got me for Chrimbo one year . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:53 am
Oh yes, I have a favorite bowl and spoon. The bowl had a twin, but it's chipped and has lost status as a result. The spoon doesn't match the rest, and I have no idea where it came from.

My mom had dishes that were only used for specific things. The eggplant dip bowl for instance. It was almost never used for anything else, in my memory.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:56 am
Ahhhhhhh, the doggie mug!

maxis1inamillion - the bowl the bowl - what's it look like? is it for breakfast things? snacks? soup? everything?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:09 am
The bowl is as plain as plain can be. White, very simple, larger than average. Corel, I think.

The spoon has a tiny row of "beads" all around the handle. I can't imagine where I acquired it.

Which reminds me of being at Mom's last month. A neighbor of hers was visiting, and asked me if she could look in Mom's kitchen as she was missing a couple of spoons. There were about 12 pieces of her silverware there - as well as a couple of plates in the cupboard! (She brings food for Mom often, obviously.)
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:26 am
When I was growing up with my two siblings it was a constant fight anytime there was use for a spoon. Why? Because it has three little ducks going up the handle, and it is shaped a little bigger then a tea spoon, but smaller then a table spoon. It's just cool. Still to this day, when us kids are gathered at ma and pa's....lol....it's not unusual to hear, " I got the ducky spoon"!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 05:19 pm
I have a bunch of mismatched flatware. Some of the forks have four tines and some have three. I'm always happy when I reach into the drawer and grab one of the "threeks"... When (if) I ever buy a proper set, that's what I'll have.

I host a weekly TGIF which used to meet at a place that's now gone. Some people drank alcohol, others had tea or coffee. Among the mugs in the kitchen were a few that had a pastoral scene on the sides and a goose for a handle. A couple of us were always especially pleased to get the "goose cup" and many mock battles were "fought" over perceived favoritism by the waitress...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:44 pm
Oh yes! Now that both sets of parents are gone, hubby and I have inherited all the family dishes. We love getting them all out for holidays...the deviled egg tray...the cut glass punchbowl...the glass eggnog cups...the dark green ceramic "ivy leaf" bowl with the four sections for pickles, green olives, black olives and celery... the two-sided cut glass dish for both kinds of cranberry sauce...the tiny crystal pitcher for the honey...(and lots more.)

All bring back vivid memories of holidays past and beloved relatives that are no longer with us.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
what's a spoon?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:47 pm
its a spork without any pointy bits . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:54 pm
Usually to illustrate a point, I feature Mr. Noddy's family--a rich and complex and constantly expanding group of Frequently Horrid Examples.

Now for family heirlooms....

I must admit that my sister and brother are extremely talented snappers up of trifles. When we closed the parental home, my sister had an unerring eye for antiques and my brother was focused on practical gear.

Still... I have my honor and more than that I have a glazed blue pitcher, three mass-produced individual dishes and the enameled refrigerator dish for perfection salad.

Let the good time roll.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 08:38 pm
I have a wooden sugar bowl that an aunt on Dad's side of the family gave me, as it had belonged to my grandmother who I'm named for. Years later, my father saw it on my dresser (I keep jewelry in it) and recognized it as something he had purchased for his mother some fifty years earlier.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:56 pm
Is "flatware" knives and forks and spoons and such? (We call that stuff "cutlery".) It has always sounded sort of platey to me.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 11:48 pm
My favorite is a flamingo cup with the neck of the flaming serving as the handle. It is wonderfully tacky.

Speaking of tacky, have Dys tell you about his herd of flamingos at his farm many years ago...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:58 am
We have 3 nesting oval bowls, they're heavy, for baking. The biggest one is for chicken, the middle one is for potatoes and the small one is for green beans. There are also Corning ware square servers which are used for washed fruit. A clear bowl (small) which came with a set of pilsener glasses is for washed blueberries. Our flatware matches (it didn't before we were married, then my aunt got us a set) so there are no favorite spoons, etc., but there are a bunch of wooden spatulas and spoon-like items and the small rice paddle is used with the small nonstick skillet I just bought. There are also 2 bowls with handles which were left by the previous owner of the house. We use them for guacamole although RP often puts soup in them - horrors! :-D
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:09 am
First of all ehbeth: What a wonderful thread! I imagine it wouldn't be a digression to go on about favorite hand-me-downs other than kitchen stuff. I could really ramble. However:

There's a Meyers Rum coffee cup that came in a Christmas gift bottle set that has a dreadlocked Jamaican saying Ya Mon on the side. Something about the orange and brown colors make me reach for it to mix up my Cuban every morning.

I always reach for the only iced-tea spoon in the drawer. It's quite long and easy to spot.

My favorite bowl is a medium sized ceramic pasta bowl that is big enough for late night cereal snacks
and Chinese food feasts.

I went to my sisters house in Vancouver and found a green and white striped vase that brought back bittersweet memories of my Gran'ma.

And finally, my fathers Australian Army issue khaki shirt of the finest soft durable cotton hangs somewhere waiting for a wearer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:04 pm
I spent the weekend with hamburger and mrs. hamburger. I will only use one cup when I'm there. It's Portmerion with birds on it. A friend brought it back for me from her honeymoon.

There is a teaspoon in the drawer in Kingston - with the Lufthansa logo on it. I bought it for hamburger at a discount store years ago. It doesn't match anything there - and still seems to get pretty heavy use.
0 Replies