I'm Not Enjoying A2K As Much Lately

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:45 am
Not better - different.

And? Well, period. What is this thread about again? So? And your problem is? Even in a thread about "not enjoying A2K as much lately" a true A2Ker isnt supposed to put A2K down? Or only if you're gonna be sensible, constructive and co-operative about it? What is this, school?

That's how it is - you can start a thread about why you feel listless about A2K, but for every post in which you write as much, be prepared for getting a bunch of proud, indignant A2Kers all over you telling you that, you know, if you dont like it here ...

You know when you tell a (fellow) American (particularly in a red state, I gather) that you think, you know, Americans can just be exasperating in how uninformed they are, or arrogant, or whatever bone you have to pick right now about what exasperates you about them - and you get the, "well, girl, if you're not out there doing something about it yourself then you have no right to complain", the "if you dont got something nice to say then dont say nothing" or the "well, son, if you dont like it here why dont you just go ..."

<sighs> Heavy-handed and slightly suffocating, exactly, I was right.

nimhsoooooohatesthisplacerightnow
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
Ah, go back to yer lab and read something, you li'l Rat!

Lol!!!

http://www.afrma.org/images/readbook.gif

And - we can show you claustrophobia...

http://www.auburn.edu/~burnsma/PO637/rat-mz3.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:38 am
A2k gets defensive...
http://www.chennaionline.com/children/images/24lion04.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
Now I'm wishing I'd waited three more minutes to say anything, could've left it at the nice commisseration...

This, to, me, is one of those "you shouldn't censure" paradoxes. I can say that someone else shouldn't say ___, but someone else can't tell me that I shouldn't say that someone else shouldn't say ___...

Did a bunch of proud, indignant A2Kers really tell you that if you don't like it here...? I'm not discounting the possibilility, I just haven't seen it and it sure as hell wasn't what I meant.

What I'm reacting to is that as someone who missed it, I get a little sick of the heyday of Abuzz stuff. It's like when you have a friend who has a group of friends and you get absorbed into that group and they talk about the good old days, all the hell they raised. I mean it's entertaining, it's not objectionable, but at some point it's just kind of OK, I get it, it was fun.

That's what and? was. It's not about the superiority of the current makeup of the group or even asking that the good old days talk stop -- that's how it works, it's not something inherently bad. It's certainly not saying anything about wanting the reminiscers to leave. Just, OK, I get it, it was fun (looks at watch.) For example, I barely crossed paths with Moondoggy, almost all I know of him is reading old threads and some really nice stuff he did when my hubby was in the hospital. If you mention Moondoggy, I get warm fuzzy feelings because of that but I was never part of the Moondoggy shenanigans.

Sorry if it came off more aggressive than that.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with criticism, keeps things robust.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
Too much puffing on that old cancer stick, Rabbit!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:44 am
Defensive - but too sweet to do anything about it...

http://www.mrhappysad.com/weblog/images/bunny.gif
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:46 am
Boy do I get tired of A2Kers waxing nostalgic about Abuzz. And I'm not being defensive about this forum, it's just that a lot of the Abuzz detrius that washed up here are just plain nasty. I've read a lot of clever stuff from the Abuzz days but the stuff here is pretty clever too.

Shrugs...when you're dining on rabbit for weeks on end you get a taste for chicken once in a while.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
oops soz...you beat me to it
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
dL; did we have a little too much 'maize' on our cereal, this morning???
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:19 am
I once waxed philosophical, and my trouble areas got smarter.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
... and slicker?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
Piffka wrote:
... and slicker?

Smooth as a baby's ass... Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
Vaseline much more effective than wax, my friend.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:33 am
Vaseline eh...as it turns out, I'm staring at a tub of it right now. Therein lies the rub.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:36 am
Why only staring? You could be wearing it.

<I'm bad this a.m.>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
Piffka wrote:
Why only staring? You could be wearing it.

<I'm bad this a.m.>

Could be, but I have to work tonight. I have three pots boiling, laundry to gather, <sigh> Maybe later. :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:12 am
dlowan wrote:
http://www.auburn.edu/~burnsma/PO637/rat-mz3.gif

That's my life all-right ... gimme that ****ing chainsaw already
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
nimh wrote:
And really, it does take itself way too seriously.

nimh, you take it too seriously! The site is an inanimate collection of digital files, people take it seriously (or not).

I can't think of anyone who takes it more seriously than you.

nimh wrote:
Not better - different.

And? Well, period. What is this thread about again? So? And your problem is? Even in a thread about "not enjoying A2K as much lately" a true A2Ker isnt supposed to put A2K down? Or only if you're gonna be sensible, constructive and co-operative about it? What is this, school?

No, and quite frankly why is this a rare subject in which you bristle at differences of opinion? To me it just comes off as "misery not only loves company, but it demands it".

I wish, because I like you, that you'd get the hell over yourself already.

Quote:
That's how it is - you can start a thread about why you feel listless about A2K, but for every post in which you write as much, be prepared for getting a bunch of proud, indignant A2Kers all over you telling you that, you know, if you dont like it here ...

nimh, I agree with a lot of what you said about A2K not being some pedestal-worthy site, it's a site in a sea of sites.

But why the hell do you care about what others think so much here? Hell, I ignore it. When people shower A2K with praise in superatives that it doesn't deserve (neglecting to notice the things about A2K that I'm actually proud of) I can't do anything about it. I don't get a bug up my bum about it.

When they have a damn lovefest over some tiny little thing I do and never notice the stuff that actually was difficult, frustrating and something worth being proud of I shrug it off.

Such is the nature of public opinion, nimh. It isn't always something you can agree with and sometimes you will be vastly outnumbered with disagreement. Unless you demand agreement then it shouldn't be "suffocating" to you.

BTW, last night I posted then deleted (since I wanted to expound later) this:

nimh, I can't imagine a situation in which I think you would not be able to feel claustrophobic.

I mean it. And expecting others to feel the same would probably only make it worse.

Thing is, the "if you don't like it here..." is spot on. This is not a country anyone is forced to live in and it's not a jail.

This is a site that people use by their own choice, for their own enjoyment or edification.

If it's neither to anyone, they shouldn't force themselves into a morose state.

Quote:

Heavy-handed and slightly suffocating, exactly, I was right.

nimh, you can be heavy-handed and suffocating to those with whom you disagree too. Get over yourself mate! You're way too glum these days.

If those who aren't as dissatisfied as you are are "heavy handed" and "suffocating" just because they have different opinions then how would you describe your opinions?

You so very rarely react to censure this way nimh. If you can take people disagreeing vehemently with you over how the world should be run why is it such a big deal to you about what they think of a stupid website?

Quote:
nimhsoooooohatesthisplacerightnow

Well, if I were in that situation I would either:

a) see whether any of the discomfort etc is something I can change (e.g. lightening up, evaluating my outlook)

or

b) take a break (which I do), or even leave altogether. It makes no sense to voluntarily stay in a place that you hate. If there are merely elements that you hate while finding a net benefit elsewhere then you don't really hate it. But if you simply "soooo hate the place" and it's a place you voluntarily choose to go to then you are just being self-destructive.

I, for one, would rather you do the bug/bum plucking (not just about A2K either) because I enjoy having you around more than you probably know, but if you can't then I'd rather you be happy elsewhere than moping here.

What just doesn't make sense is the misery loving misery.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:00 pm
Oh boy... his old bad self is here.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:11:20