I'm Not Enjoying A2K As Much Lately

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
It makes no sense to voluntarily stay in a place that you hate. If there are merely elements that you hate while finding a net benefit elsewhere then you don't really hate it. But if you simply "soooo hate the place" and it's a place you voluntarily choose to go to then you are just being self-destructive.

Having reading problems, are we?

Quote:
nimhsoooooohatesthisplacerightnow

You even quoted it first, and everything - only when you started writing your reply did you leave out the "right now". For obvious reasons I guess, since your subsequent argument kinda falls apart if you do include it. Of course it's a question of there being "merely elements that I hate while finding a net benefit elsewhere". That's the whole point of anyone sighing, "I sooo hate this place/person/job/relationship right now", innit? The phrase already implies, itself, a momentary chagrin - whether caused by some general moodiness, as you suggest, or a specific qualm about the thing. (In this case, both.)

You realise that one of the reasons this place sometimes feels oppresive is how some people feel they have to tiptoe around stuff related to the site, right? I don't tiptoe, myself. When I'm fed up with something I just go out and grump about it. If the board's a place to be cheerful, be sad, be agitated or be flippant, then it can be a place to be venting, too. You're the one who feels that every time someone vents about something concerning the site, he needs to be preached to. So I'd say I'm not the only one who finally needs to get over himself already.

nimhbeinghisbadoldselftoo
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:12 pm
nimh wrote:

Having reading problems, are we?

Quote:
nimhsoooooohatesthisplacerightnow

No, I noticed that nimh, and was even going to comment on it likely being transitive.

Quote:
You even quoted it first, and everything - only when you started writing your reply did you leave out the "right now".

Maybe I didn't repeat it but I did have it in mind nimh, which is why I spoke about "breaks" as opposed to permanent departure.

When I am not enjoying myself here, I simply do things I enjoy. If I start enjoying myself here, I come back. <shrugs>

Quote:
You realise that one of the reasons this place sometimes feels oppresive is how some people feel they have to tiptoe around stuff related to the site, right?

I realize that it's one reason it feels "oppresive" to you.

I think it's silly, because like I said merely being here at all is a choice. When I don't enjoy things (for example, incessant bitching) I can make the choice to avoid it.

Quote:
I don't tiptoe, myself. When I'm fed up with something I just go out and grump about it. If the board's a place to be cheerful, be sad, be agitated or be flippant, then it can be a place to be venting, too. You're the one who feels that every time someone vents about something concerning the site, he needs to be preached to. So I'd say I'm not the only one who finally needs to get over himself already.

nimh, you are being egotistical.

You are "venting" and I'm "oppresive"?

You merely "don't tiptoe" but my opinion is "preaching"?

C'mon, how about a sense of fair play.

It's ironic that you seem to want people to tiptoe around what you have to say.

Hell, downright oppresive! ;-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
Gosh, it's good to read you again, Craven, especially when you're picking on somebody besides me. <smiles sweetly>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:23 pm
Piffka,

You know, when boys pick on girls it means they like them. ;-)

I'm not picking on nimh, he's one of my favorites. I'm disagreeing with him, and wishing that the existence of, gasp, disagreement were not so objectionable.

It happens. And, IMO, it's a good thing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:31 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:
You realise that one of the reasons this place sometimes feels oppresive is how some people feel they have to tiptoe around stuff related to the site, right?

Nah, others have mentioned the same thing in more diplomatic words in other threads, and you know it ...

But nebbermind, been there done that had that discussion a coupla times already, its not gonna change.

Craven de Kere wrote:

Well, I'm glad you know how I feel then ;-)

Since you already point out that you're merely doing the same thing I did, I guess I don't have to argue the point that I'm not the only one who needs to get over himself already any further anymore either ... :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:42 pm
nimh wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:

Nah, others have mentioned the same thing in more diplomatic words in other threads, and you know it ...

But nebbermind, been there done that had that discussion a coupla times already, its not gonna change.

I wasn't saying you were the only one. What I had meant to highlight is that it's not universal.

And because I know that it's not possible to please everyone I try to avoid approaching things that way (makes me feel claustrophobic).

Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Well, I'm glad you know how I feel then ;-)

Since you already point out that you're merely doing the same thing I did, I guess I don't have to argue the point that I'm not the only one who needs to get over himself already any further anymore either ... :wink:

Thing is, I don't really feel that way. We may well have been doing the same thing insofar as expressing opinions, but we were not doing the same thing in regard to trying to characterize dissenting opinions as "oppressive" and "suffocating" while romanticizing one's own dissent.

That, was just your ballgame.

But here's one thing we might agree on, there's likely no profit in continuing this discussion and I'll move on to more enjoyable activities now.

PS, I met a cool Dutch person while playing monopoly last night and invited her over here. If you see mariamariaaa, welcome a compatriot.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:00 pm
All good things seem stale sometimes. Hard to even know if the fault is within ourselves of the object in question. All of us here have our own particular quirks, and as well, no shortage of disagreements about a variety of things. One of the refreshing things about A2K is our ability to both disagree and tolerate, even maintqain cordiality with one another. I wouldn't like to see either Nimh or Craven (he who is relentless in argument) depart the discourse here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:27 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
dL; did we have a little too much 'maize' on our cereal, this morning???

You saying I'm posting rabbit ****?

Mebbe - just trying to lighten things up - these arguments are tooooooo silly.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:10 pm
its all the same...only the names change...

man ive seen a lot of people get upset here recently but i dont think its a2k, cos i see it outside in life too....
i think its just excess emotional charge coming out of them from their lives...
its always easier to blame the outer than to see the source inside eh Smile
i know because i do it too...

i think a2k is a good idea and for me is a great help building up my social skills (which are lacking) and meeting people from the US and around the world and making friends and thus overcoming my old prejudices i have against people and the world....and it also helps me see me in them and them in me...
i dont always agree with the way it is here but i feel that way about the whole world and its not my forum anyway so who am i to start saying how it should be..
looking at the way it all is, imperfect world and all that, i think this is about the best it gets, so i get over my petty greivances and get on with making friends and doing my best to have a positive experience...
my view is i can either make my ride a happy one or a miserable one, so given its my choice i may as well enjoy my time here Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
Peace, man. :-)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:18 pm
Miss BPB.

Not questioning Mods.

Just miss him.

<looks at floor>
<needs waxing>
<sigh>

Frank has been reduced to astronomical Bush/moron search matches...we are a bit tense, waiting on the election...I've noticed our milder mannered members sending uncharacteristically pointy barbs... Maybe we can ask for an election season reprieve for our MIAs...

Mercy?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:28 pm
You may not believe this, but one of the best places to vent is in the original writing forum.

Whether it's gentle, deep, angry, or whatever.

I once told someone that we were a book, a short story, a poem, a biography, and we are.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:30 pm
How many times can you rhyme moron?

<she's just silly now>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:39 pm
As many times as it takes, lash. As a matter of record, I just wrote a poem about this thread and, of course, about myself.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:51 pm
as far as i know BPB has gone somewhere to do a gig with his band and will be back next week Wink

and yeah soz Smile

the magic of peace Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:20 pm
Geez, I'm going back to the poltical forum... It's less hostile... :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:27 pm
There once was a man was a moron
Kept trying to turn a bored whore on
Until she said "Hon -
I just ain't having fun!
Perhaps if we put Michael Moore on?"
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:29 pm
Very Happy and Very Happy
the joys of humour Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:29 pm
Shocked Embarrassed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:34 pm
<snicker> Good one, Deb.

We're all morons on this bus.

There once were some morons from Thrace,
Who ate cake 'til it covered their face.
Said one, "I could die!
I wanted some pie,
But that idiot there took my place.

<going to look for Letty's poem>
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 11:56:47