What's 96 Percent of the Universe Made Of? Astronomers Don't Know

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 03:32 pm
Cosmologists estimate that about 96 percent of what makes up the universe is invisible and undetectable by scientific instruments. They divide this strange entity into two categories, dark matter and dark energy. The nature of these remains unknown. Shockingly, the researchers observed neither possibility. Instead, the universe appeared to be accelerating in its expansion.

What's 96 Percent of the Universe Made Of? Astronomers Don't Know

This Hubble Space Telescope image shows NGC 1275, the galaxy located in the center of the Perseus Galaxy Cluster. The red threadlike filaments are composed of cool gas suspended by a magnetic field. Credit: NASA/ESA/Hubble Heritage (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration
NEW YORK — All the stars, planets and galaxies that can be seen today make up just 4 percent of the universe. The other 96 percent is made of stuff astronomers can't see, detect or even comprehend.

These mysterious substances are called dark energy and dark matter. Astronomers infer their existence based on their gravitational influence on what little bits of the universe can be seen, but dark matter and energy themselves continue to elude all detection.

"The overwhelming majority of the universe is: who knows?" explains science writer Richard Panek, who spoke about these oddities of our universe on Monday (May 9) at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY) here in Manhattan. "It's unknown for now, and possibly forever."

In Panek's new book, "The 4 Percent Universe" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011), Panek recounts the story of how dark matter and dark energy were discovered. It's a history filled with mind-boggling scientific surprises and fierce competition between the researchers racing to find answers.

Would you like to know what they can't learn? The universe is not shrinking but rather expanding. <Link withheld due to the hinderance of able2know's access to public information> Ask privately and you will receive privately.

contrex

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 03:37 pm
Is this one of your cultish hocus-pocus threads?
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:05 pm
@contrex,
what's a fart made of?
Actually things on space arent moving away from each other at a faster rte. STUFF is being materialized at a speed approaching (c) in between this space stuff.
Space is actually the space within the space
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:41 pm
@BroRando,
BroRando wrote:
Would you like to know what they can't learn? The universe is not shrinking but rather expanding. <Link withheld due to the hinderance of able2know's access to public information> Ask privately and you will receive privately.

Is this the place where you provide a link to some made up crap that you want us to believe?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:52 pm
@contrex,
Up to the last sentence his data is scientifically correct. Actually I am somewhat surprised some A2K'ers didn't knew about it. This is common knowledge.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:53 pm
@BroRando,
Quote:
Cosmologists estimate that about 96 percent of what makes up the universe is invisible and undetectable by scientific instruments.

This is so funny, it was the source of my best laugh for today. If it's not detectable....DUH!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:17 pm
Shrug.

It's made of pudding. Everybody knows that.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:19 pm
@jespah,
Butterscotch pudding?
jespah

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Now we're gonna have pudding heresy! Wink

Butterscotch would be lovely.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:34 pm
@BroRando,
BroRando wrote:
The universe is not shrinking but rather expanding.

I've never heard of any reputable physicist who claims that the cosmos is shrinking--the majority view of physicists with genuine credentials has been that the universe is expanding, and has been since Hubble demonstrated the case in 1929.

Is this a copy and past from some Jehovah's Witness web site? Was it per chance from you own web site? If so, that would explain why your link would not have been allowed, although i doubt that that is the case. I think you've been peddling shameless BS since you started this thread. Your wonderful "revelations" won't fool anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of contemporary physics.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:06 pm
@Setanta,
yes but there is actually somebody following him. I rest my case on that guy too.
Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:40 pm
But the Watchtower is ever vigilant.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:51 pm
@Setanta,
they still pass that rag out to innocent bystanders??
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:16 pm
@farmerman,
I believe that guy is also following you.

GASP!
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:32 pm
@BroRando,
Do YOU know, Bro? Without research or equipment or even a vague understanding of the Scientific Method, you know what the 96% is made of? Please tell me.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Butterscotch pudding?

I hope it's chocolate!
0 Replies

BroRando

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:58 pm
If brilliant scientists with their powerful instruments have been able to gain only a 4% understanding of the natural world, would it be logical to dismiss out of hand the matters that lie beyond the reaches of science to investigate? A popular science writer notes: “Our knowledge is vastly outstripped by our ignorance. For me, a life in science prompts awe and exploration over dogmatism.”
roger

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 08:10 pm
@BroRando,
Yeah, we could talk about dogmatism, couldn't we?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:00 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
Do YOU know, Bro? Without research or equipment or even a vague understanding of the Scientific Method, you know what the 96% is made of? Please tell me.
Be fair, Flopears. Very Happy
He said he doesn't know either.
0 Replies

mpc755

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 03:16 am
Dark matter fills 'empty' space, strongly interacts with matter and is displaced by the particles of matter which exist in it and move through it.

There is evidence of the strongly interacting dark matter every time a double slit experiment is performed, it's what waves.
0 Replies