Should I pursue acting?

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:51 pm
I want to be an actor but I am afraid I do because of superficial reasons like fame and money.I'm 16 years old and don't have any acting experience. although I sing and play the guitar and consider myself an arts persona.
I've never shown any interest or passion in acting but I intend to take (once I graduate from high school) acting lessons because Im practicing opera.I'll probably go abroad for a master ( about the university I will have attended after high school-irrelevant with arts) but I don't think I can pursue/start an acting career at 25 with the ambition of becoming worldwide famous.Although I think I would love acting and I would be quite good at it, I don't seem to be doing something about pursuing it.What do you think I should do?

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 06:01 pm
@Papandreopoulaki,
You're kind of answering your own question.

I think I would be an awesome juggler. But I don't practice and I haven't bothered to learn. Some juggler, eh?

So - don't wait! Is there a drama club at school? Then join, and become a part of it. Don't expect to be a star at first. Hell, don't even expect to have lines. And do volunteer to do other things, such as sew costumes or put on makeup or build sets. Even if you don't do any of this later, it's good work and it's a part of being a team.

If your school doesn't have a drama club, then try summer stock in your area. Many larger towns have some sort of local acting troupe. Same rules apply; don't expect overnight stardom.

If it turns out you love it, then go for it. If it turns out it feels like a chore, then rethink your life plan.

But you need to get off your duff and work on it now, because any Masters' program is going to want to see a portfolio before they admit you, anyway.
Papandreopoulaki

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 06:14 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for your answer.I will attend a university in my country,Greece and that will be the time when I can start acting lessons (age 18).Do you think I should go to auditions and stuff before I go abroad?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 07:32 pm
@Papandreopoulaki,
You can always go to auditions which may be good experience. You may also learn things from other people interested in acting.
Acting is a tough career to get into, so you'll need a thick skin for being rejected many times.
However, if that is your dream, pursue it with everything you have. Good luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 01:20 am
@Papandreopoulaki,
like jess sez, you should be participating in a drama club just to even se if you can do whats required, whether youve got any talent or can hold an audience.

I was in drama club in HS for two yars bit decided I liked watercolor more. It was fun, but I xcouldnt keep from laughing at certain spots and the teacher/coach was always annoyed.(He asked me to try out for some stand up routines instead of a play. Thats was fun but I have no sense of humor or timing so I basically sucked at it)

Wishing you wll, theres lots of room for a Greek actor or three in Hollywood. I still remember guys trying to play greek spies with broken ENglish accents(like Anthony Quinn). He was a pretty good actor though.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 03:23 am
@Papandreopoulaki,
As Jespah said, join an Am Dram club, get a part in a play, at least then you'll know if you can act. Other than a few techniques I don't think acting can be taught, you can either do it or you can't. Madonna must have spent a fortune on acting coaches but all to no avail, she always puts in a dismal performance.

At the other end of the scale you've got Thomas Turgoose, who turned up for audition on spec and put in a stellar performance.

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/images/1/images/turgoose4502.jpg

Being a good actor is no guarantee of success. The restaurants in LA are full of good actors/waiters just waiting for the big break.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:25 am
Good idea to take part in a group and get to know different things about theatre, acting, performance and team work.
Think about another education too - being an actor is not a dance on roses.
You are as a rule free lance and has a very unregular income.
About 90% of all actors are out of work a lot of the time.
If you feel you are an art person there are other areas within theatre which could be of interest.
Lightning - if you are an electrician
Make up - if you have learned hair dresser and make up.
Wardrobe - learned sewing
Stage manager - a special education amongst other Royal Acadimy of Dramatic Art.
jespah

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:07 am
@Papandreopoulaki,
You're still telling us you're going to hang around and do nothing about this for two years.

Work on this now. Like I said, you will need a portfolio. And it will be a lot easier, faster, and cheaper if you try now but it turns out you don't like acting.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:12 am
No, you are better off becoming an engineer, lawyer or doctor

That said, if you want to live poor and face a 99% chance of failure then go right ahead, try acting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 08:46 am
@saab,
being a successful candidate for your species going extinct is like 5 Billion to one FOR going extinct. So emjpy youtrself before theres no audience left
saab

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:55 am
@farmerman,
Excuse me, what do you talk about?
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 03:25 pm
@saab,
I somehow got your name hen I as addressing cobbler.

Basically huge odds against dont men that someone wont become fmous. Look t the lottery or evolution.
0 Replies

Papandreopoulaki

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:54 pm
@jespah,
the problem is that in my country we have those exams when we become 18 and we start studying from 15 years old and we have no time for extra curricular activities so my best chance is to start acting classes right after high school
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2016 03:24 am
@Papandreopoulaki,
Then that's the way it will have to be. In the meantime, though, you still may find you have some time if you forego things like social media. It doesn't have to be formalized instruction although that would be best.
0 Replies