Donald Trump Uses Death of Dwyane Wade’s Cousin to Illustrate His View

Miller

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 09:02 am
Donald Trump Uses Death of Dwyane Wade’s Cousin to Illustrate His View

By NICK CORASANITI
AUG. 27, 2016

Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter: “Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!”

( Credit Damon Winter/The New York Times )

Donald J. Trump took to Twitter on Saturday morning to comment on the news that a cousin of Dwyane Wade, the N.B.A. star, had been shot and killed in Chicago, linking the death to his effort to win support from African-American voters.

“Dwayne Wade’s cousin was just shot and killed walking her baby in Chicago,” Mr. Trump wrote, misspelling Mr. Wade’s given name, which was later corrected. “Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!”

Mr. Trump, who initially did not express sympathy for the family of the slain woman, Nykea Aldridge, later in the day posted a Twitter message offering his condolences.

Mr. Trump has been courting African-American voters by painting a dire picture of life in minority communities, one troubled by poverty, violence and dysfunction, especially in “inner cities.”

His case to black voters is that minority communities have suffered because of failed Democratic policies, and that they should support his candidacy.

“What the hell do you have to lose?” he has said frequently over the past week in a rhetorical question aimed at African-Americans.

He has paid particular attention to Chicago, a city plagued by a seemingly endless spate of shootings and gun violence.

Mr. Trump has had a penchant for using tragedies to illustrate his campaign’s message. After the June attack in an Orlando nightclub, Mr. Trump wrote: “Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don’t want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!”

His comments regarding the Wade family drew near instant condemnation on social media, though the Wade family had not released a statement in response to Mr. Trump’s message.

A version of this article appears in print on August 28, 2016, on page A15 of the New York edition with the headline

www.NYT.com

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 09:39 am
We just had a woman walking home from registering her daughter for school get shot by a group of REPEATED OFFENDERS in a Detroit neighborhood.

People - no matter their color - are sick of not being able to walk down the street in their own neighborhood.
Blickers

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 02:56 pm
Homicide rate rate for black victims is less than half what it was 25 years ago. It has fallen under Clinton and Obama. How does Trump figure blacks will vote for him over this issue? He's against gun control.
Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:12 am
@Blickers,
What does that mean? The homicide number in Chicago from Jan-Aug is now very close to 500 deaths.
Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:14 am
@PUNKEY,
It used to be that folks were afraid to go out in the dark. Now in many towns and cities, people are afraid to go out....day or night.

I'm for carrying a weapon for protection. But will I be ready to use a weapon, if I'm attacked?
parados

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:23 am
@Miller,
It would mean the homicides in Chicago are down from the 1980s and early 1990s.

Was Chicago great when it's murder rate was almost double what it is now?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:25 pm
@Miller,
Chicago is definitely experiencing a crime wave, but that is not true "in many towns and cities". 2014 and 2015 were two of the lowest murder rate years in the last four decades.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 02:10 pm
Homicides in Chicago:
1991 thru 2000. Nice decline under Bill Clinton seen:

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/Chicago%20murders%201991-2000_zpsmxgyrlb3.jpg

2001 thru 2010. Also a slight decline:

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/Chicago%20murders%202001-2010_zps0vjrk2pz.jpg

Don't have a chart for 2011 on, but I have the these figures:
2014: 456 Homicides
2015: 470 Homicides

So up until this year at least, number of murders in Chicago was half of what it was before Bill Clinton took office.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:18 pm
It's now 500 homicides from Jan, 2016 to Aug, 2016. No end in sight.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:20 pm
With Stein and Johnson now on the ballot, the odds have shifted in favor in Trump.

How will Trump change the trend of violent gang murders?
Blickers

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:54 pm
@Miller,
Still lower murder rate than before Bill Clinton took office. The year before Clinton took office Chicago has 938 murders. Chicago won't have that this year.

What polls are you reading? Johnson and Stein don't change Hillary's margin of victory. All the polls have Hillary well ahead, even counting Johnson and Stein. And Trump, who got the nomination because of his stand on immigration, is finding out that doesn't work in the November election.
Miller

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:31 am
@Blickers,
Johnson and Stein on Boston TV. Combine the values of Johnson+Stein and you get a value that would shift the victory to Trump, because J+S take votes away from Clinton.
parados

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 08:34 am
@Miller,
The polling doesn't show that at all. Most polls are currently showing a similar lead for Clinton with or without Johnson and Stein in the poll.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 08:57 am
@Miller,
Quote Miller:
Quote:
Combine the values of Johnson+Stein and you get a value that would shift the victory to Trump, because J+S take votes away from Clinton.

Don't know that is true at all, but even if I agree, how does Johnson and Stein taking votes away from Clinton change the fact that Clinton leads Trump in all the polls, even those including Johnson and Stein among the choices? Here's the Electoral Map according to the polls. Clinton projects to over 100 Electoral votes ahead, and they are not even counting Florida-which the Democrats have won the last several times-for Hillary.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/Electoral%20Map%20Aug%2028_zpsmofncbbi.jpg
Miller

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:22 am
Quote:
Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter: “Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!”

No kidding!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 02:27 pm
@Blickers,
You were so sure of Hillary's win... don't you feel a little bit silly now?
0 Replies