Interesting Tourism in a 3rd World Country

rufio

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:33 pm
Time for my first obligatory "do my homework for me" post. Well, not really. I just need an idea. I have to do a project-thing on tourism in a 3rd-world country, and I don't have any ideas. Anyone know of a place where the tourist ads are particularly interesting/startling/effective/exceptional?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,279 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:36 pm
I was just doing some research on Sumatra, and came across a note that the northern province, (Aceh) where Lake Toba is, is very beautiful and would be a wonderful place for tourists -- except it's easy to get shot by fighting religious factions.

I don't know if they even have tourist ads, but Lake Toba is the site of the last Super Volcano eruption... I got this info Googling Sumatra -- it handed me to the Lonely Planet site.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 06:19 pm
I know that Morocco has a very strong tourist industry and it's considered third world.
0 Replies

Newt

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:46 pm
Peru is considered Third World and has some wonderful ads for visits to Machu Piccu, Nazca Lines, Cusco, Amazon Jungle and Lake Titicaca.

Newt
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
Hmmm, when I was in Rome last I stayed at a medium priced hotel at the end of my time there as a sort of reward for surviving lots of cheapos... and it is a hotel that a lot of people who have some business at the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) stay at. Great conversations in the small lobby...

Anyway, I think it was there that I met a couple from Mali, who told me how I must go there...

since the chance of my getting to Mali is extremely slim, unless I hurry up and meet just the right rich guy who loves travel, I've not gotten around to looking up Mali online. But I hear about it every once in a while..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
http://www.geographia.com/mali/

Well, it seems like a long shot for the next tourist spot.
One of the poorest countries in the world.
Landlocked, as I remember. Little rain.
But I think there's been trade route history..
0 Replies