Need help about pigsy. ADDED pics of Thurman!!

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:51 pm
Too fuzzy and sweet. Little bitty paws...!

Everyone's healthy?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:55 pm
wow, what a cutie!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:28 pm
sozobe wrote:
Everyone's healthy?

Yes, sozobe, thanks. Yes, both pigsy and thurman are doing great. Pigsy is a very very good mom, and thurman's foot has almost healed completely. If you didn't know there was a problem with thurman's leg, you would never notice. I'm glad at least one baby survived and is healthy. Pigsy is enjoying the experience of being a mom. I'm now curious as to how long pigsy will breast feed for, as we are keeping thurman and there is no real time she should be weaned. Have to wait and see I guess!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
May they both prosper...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm
Oooooooooooooo.......!

That first picture just about did me in. SO precious.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:52 pm
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Hehe...thanks....Thurman is a she though!!! I know, boys name.....but i'm not a comformist.

Ooops, heehee Embarrassed

Well then, she's a sweetie :-D
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:36 am
weaning
stand up for pessimism wrote:
I'm now curious as to how long pigsy will breast feed for, as we are keeping thurman and there is no real time she should be weaned.

When my Polly had her one and only litter of kittens (8 years ago), I took my time and found good homes for all of them. The last kitten to go to his home was 3 months old. He was a big boy (with sharp claws and sharp teeth) and Polly was still nursing him. (Usually, kittens are weaned at about the age of 7 to 8 weeks old.) It was shocking to see that big boy nursing--he was nearly as big as his mother. I was even more shocked that Polly continued to allow him to nurse. OUCH!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:51 pm
Re: weaning
Debra_Law wrote:
Usually, kittens are weaned at about the age of 7 to 8 weeks old.)

& to 8 weeks? That seems like a long time! We've always had kittens around, at least 2 batches a year (from previous cats) we always gave them away when they turned 6 weeks. We started them on food at aboub 4 weeks.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:08 pm
weaning
Based on what I have read, a mother cat will usually wean (stop feeding) her kittens at the age of 7 to 8 weeks. That's why I was so surprised that Polly was still nursing her last kitten when he was three months old.

A kitten can start on kitten food at about four weeks of age. By the time a kitten is 7 to 8 weeks of age, they are ready to be separated from their mothers. It is very common for pet owners to spur the natural weaning process a little early because they want to start finding homes for the kittens. Most vets do not recommend separating a kitten from its mother until it's at least 6 weeks old.

Since you are keeping Thurman, I suspect that the mother cat will wean Thurman when it starts hurting too much to continue--at about 7 to 8 weeks. Maybe because Thurman is the only kitten, the mother might tolerate the feedings longer.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:15 pm
She might, it would be cute if Thurman got big like polly!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:32 pm
So glad everyone's healthy! And her leg healed right up, too! Yippee!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:30 am
Thurman is lovely! Very Happy
0 Replies