Need help about pigsy. ADDED pics of Thurman!!

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:51 am
I'm pretty upset, but crying isn't going to help anything. Once pigsy is home i'll be fine. She's not the kind of cat that likes other people, so I feel bad that she has to stay at the vets. Sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:35 am
Oh, this is so sad. Sad

How long will Pigsy have to stay at the vet's? Not long, I hope. Is the kitten with her there? Will you keep the kitten? Is it a boy or a girl?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:44 am
The vet just phoned me, he hopes pigsy will be out tommorow. They just finished the C-section, and sadly, really sadly, all four of her unborn babies died, and he thinks the chances for survival of the one baby remaining is very slim. He asked if I wanted it put down, and of course, I said no. Maybe the baby (girl) will live, maybe she won't, but i'm not giving up on her that easily, and if the kitty does live, then yes, I will keep her forever. If I would have taken her to the vet yesterday maybe there would be a happy ending, but my poor judgment took the lives of four baby kitties.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:50 am
stand up- I know that you are very sad now, but please don't blame yourself. You did the best that you could do at the time. Sometimes things just don't work out like we would want.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:19 am
It's true SUP, don't beat yourself up. Our pets can't tell us what's wrong with them. I really hope now that the remaining kitten survives. I don't even know how to feed a baby kitten that doesn't have her mommy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:21 am
Oh, I'm so sorry.

You called a professional and the professional gave you advice that you listened to. There's only so much you can do.

Is Pigsy able to nurse the last kitten?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:26 am
sozobe wrote:
Is Pigsy able to nurse the last kitten?

The vet doesn't know for sure, he said she didn't have much milk left becuase of everything that was going on in her body. And of course having the babies die inside her, then having surgery, it's a big shock to the system. I hope she'll be able to nurse the baby. The vet said pigsy didn't seem to be a good mother so she probably wouldn't want to, but whatever, how does she know if she's a good mom. I think she did pretty good for it being her first, and now last time for having babies.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:33 am
Oh sufp, I'm so sorry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:36 am
I'm sorry but I'm not super impressed with this vet. "Not much milk left in her body"? It's not a big vat that leaks out gradually. Milk is *produced*, and there has to be nursing happening for more to be produced. Or else it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. (No nursing, milk dries up.)

I completely understand about her body having a lot to deal with, but the rationale you quote doesn't make sense to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:36 am
(Usual disclaimers. And I'm sure I don't have enough info.)
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:43 am
Yeah, I think he just wanted me to get rid of the one surviving baby. The baby has a problem with it's one back leg, but that doesn't mean it should die.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:59 am
It survived birth, so it has a chance as long as it gets some nourishment. That's my opinion, anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:36 pm
I mentioned before that the kittens my cat had (also her first and only birth) got all tangled up in her tail. Well, one of the kittens had the umbilical cord wrapped tightly around her back foot, and she lost it. :-( She grew into a very sprightly 3-footed cat, though, and just beautiful (long haired white calico with a bit of gray and peach), and was my favorite.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:44 pm
sozobe wrote:
I mentioned before that the kittens my cat had (also her first and only birth) got all tangled up in her tail. Well, one of the kittens had the umbilical cord wrapped tightly around her back foot, and she lost it. :-( She grew into a very sprightly 3-footed cat, though, and just beautiful (long haired white calico with a bit of gray and peach), and was my favorite.

Thanks for the support soz! Did the kitty foot fall off, or did you take it to a vet? What was the kitty's name? (if you don't mind me asking?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:48 pm
ohhhhhhh, standupforP, I'm sorry it turned out like this. Give lots of good lovin' to Pigsy, and hopefully she'll be able to be a good mom to her kitten.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:50 pm
Pekoe.

We took all of 'em to the vet right off -- mama and the three tangled babies. The vet said to just leave the foot, it would fall off. It did. :-( It was black and yucky and then just got more and more shriveled and then fell right off. Blech.

She was so tiny that it was just 3/8ths of an inch or something, when she was grown it was about 3 inches that were missing. She got around just fine, though.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:55 pm
Cute name! That's too bad the baby lost his leg, but by the sounds of it, the kitty had just as normal of a life as any cat would. So what happend to the kitty? (again, if you don't mind me asking?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:58 pm
Er... sore point. Story here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=294159

What is the specifics of your kitty's leg?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:13 pm
Aww Sozobe, that is so sad. And what you said about that look they gave you. So true, and so sad.

With pigsy's baby, it looks to me as if the leg just didn't move into position properly. It looks as if it were still in the womb. It's foot is kind of backwards. I remember having a kitten that had a similar thing. When the kitten got to be a few weeks old I kind of bandaged it to stay in the correct spot, so the baby would keep pressure on it, and eventually it did work, but I think this new case is a bit more severe. Plus I don't want to get too ahead of myself, I mean the baby is only 2 days old, and already so many bad things have happened. I'll just have to wait. What do you suppose the vet is doing with the baby while pigsy is having surgery? Don't they have to eat all the time. I was thinking about buying an eye dropper in case there are troubles with nursing. I know the baby is still so small, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thank you everyone for your very dear support, I appreciate so much.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:24 pm
I sure hope the baby makes it. Soz is right...the milk replenishes itself after nursing, and if pigsy isn't nursing, she will dry up. I'd call the vet and ask them specifically how they're feeding the baby. The anesthetic from the surgery might make it unwise for Pigsy to nurse, if the drugs are passed on to the baby through the milk. I'd find out what they're doing.

How old is Pigsy? Is she a very young mother (under a year old)? First litters to young mothers often have problems, because the mother's body isn't fully developed itself.
0 Replies