Need help about pigsy. ADDED pics of Thurman!!

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:36 pm
UPDATE:

At 5:00am this morning, pigsy woke my bf and I up by meowing. We open our eyes to the sight of a baby kitty hanging from pigsy. We got pigsy to calm down, and she did her thing. 15 minutes later, she has another baby. It is now after noon, and she hasn't had the rest of them. I can still feel the babies inside her kicking, but pigsy isn't having them yet. Is that not weird? The ambilical cord or something is still hanging from her, unattached from any kitty. Any help here would be great, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,908 • Replies: 71
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:47 pm
Yikes!

Can you call the vet?

What I know is limited to my own cat having kittens (privately, we didn't know about it until my dad heard a thump-thump-thump and we dashed over to find her coming down the stairs -- with three kittens stuck to her fluffy tail Shocked) and watching like 3 episodes of "That's My Baby" on Animal Planet. Based on the latter, way more time that I expected elapses between kittens.

But seems like a good idea to call the vet!

How are he two kittens who've been born?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:50 pm
Here we go:

Quote:
There is often a 10 to 60 minute delay between births, although longer periods of time are not uncommon. If there is a delay of over four hours and you are sure there are remaining kittens, the queen should be examined by a veterinarian. 

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/a/pregnancybirth_3.htm

sounds like it's high time to get the vet involved.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
Thanks Soz. The two babies are doing really good, they're fine. Pigsy is not showing any signs of distress or anything. I called 3 veterinary clinics, unfortunately there were no doctors present, and the secretary's did not show any sign of concern. I really hope pigsy can have them on her own, I really can't afford a vet bill.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:00 pm
Are the babies nursing? Maybe that could get her going again.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:11 pm
Yep, they've been nursing basically since they came out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:16 pm
My cat had only three the first time, I guess it's possible that she really only has two...? Glad that you called, kinda weird that the secretaries weren't concerned, but all I know is from a TV show and a quick Google so don't listen to me.

Will they be calling you back when a vet shows up?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:24 pm
I just checked on pigsy again, there really is at least one baby still inside of her, for sure. The secretaries told me I could phone back later, that was about the extent of it. Really helpful, my family of cats could be dying, but I can phone back later! Also, because that peice of umbelical cord is still hanging from pigsy's you know, she's still slightly bleeding, or that's how it looks. It may just be the excess blood from the cord, I don't know, i'm not a doctor.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:03 pm
I just got off the phone with the vet, he said I could give her a shot of somehting or other, or I could leave her till morning and see if she has had them, then if she hasn't had them, I should bring her in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:46 pm
'Til morning? Wow.

Would it really break the bank to take her to the vet?

I think the shot would probably be some variation of pitocin -- that's what kick-starts labor/contractions.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:51 pm
Waiting for more news. I hope pigsy and other kittens are ok.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:34 pm
sozobe wrote:
'Til morning? Wow.

Would it really break the bank to take her to the vet?

I think the shot would probably be some variation of pitocin -- that's what kick-starts labor/contractions.

Well, there's nothing in the bank! The money we did have saved up went to moving expenses, and now our vehicle broke down. I'm telling you, luck just hasn't been on my side. I'm not going to let pigsy die, that is for sure, and if it comes down to that point, then i'm going to have to find some cash, cause there is no way i'm going to let her die. I'm going to keep an eye on her until morning, and if she doesn't have the babies i'm going to take her to the vet for the shot. She is not in any distress, she seems normal to me so far, and the unborn babies are still kicking away. She finally managed to clean up the left over umbilical cord that was sticking out from her. I'm thinking very positive for her. I know this all sounds sad, but it will all come together, everything happens for a reason.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:03 pm
Aw, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time, Pess. (Have never nailed down a nic for you!) I think (again, I don't know what I'm talking about so take this with a liter of salt) that as long as the embryonic sac hasn't been ruptured, and as long as the next baby isn't in the birth canal, it should be fine.

Evidently the vet thinks so, and hopefully he knows what's he's talking about.

Good luck!

Glad the kittens that have been born so far are doing well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:51 am
Keeping my fingers crossed.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:57 am
SUP, I'm hoping pigsy is doing well. Please keep us updated.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:08 am
Yes, please, do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
<fret, fret, fret>
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:32 am
Bad news here, yet again. The smallest baby died this morning, and pigsy never had the other babies, i'm pretty sure they have dies now aswel. I took pigsy to the vet and they're going to give her a C-section and spay her, so I won't see her for a couple days, and I really hope she'll be ok. I don't know why her first batch of babies had to be so hard. Now all I can do is hope she'll survive her surgeries.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:35 am
I'm so sorry SUP, that's really terrible. Poor pigsy. Your instincts were so right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:43 am
Oh no. :-( How are you doing, SUP?

You have one healthy kitten, anyway... and Pigsy will be fine. Those are two good things.
0 Replies