What makes for an effectively scary horror movie?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2024 05:16 pm
@Taylor232,
Taylor232 wrote:

Relatable characters and a haunting atmosphere evoke fear.

Much appreciated.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2024 06:30 am
My daughter and I were talking about this recently and were both surprised to find we have this in common.

We can enjoy almost any horror genre without real fear—the kind that haunts you later. All but one. It’s because we’ve both, privately, given some credence to the existence of demonic spirits on our plane.

This doesn’t manifest in my life at all—with the exception of how rarely I even entertain the idea of watching movies depicting possession—because they stay with me for a while.

I did enjoy a film with Russell Crowe not too long ago & Constantine, because they weren’t that believable to me. Famous actors or poor writing or bad graphics can definitely weaken the effect & make it not too scary for me—but films based on reality and good acting may ruin my sleep for weeks.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2024 12:26 pm
@Lash,
Try watching Amytiville 2 the Possession when you're tripping!
Lash

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2024 06:11 am
@izzythepush,
I’d be roaming the halls of an insane asylum. It took months to stop Amityville nightmares.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2024 11:44 am
@Lash,
I had to sleep with the light on afterwards.
0 Replies