1

What makes for an effectively scary horror movie?

0  
Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:10 pm
@chai2,
Here's Frankenstein's monster in something different.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 06:04 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I've been watching Penny Dreadful. Halfway through the 2nd season.

Really really good.

Glad you are enjoying it. I gave up after the first season. The whole fan fiction style shipping of Frankenstein/Frankenstein's monster was too on the nose for me. Amongst other things like being really annoyed by the Vanessa Ives main character on many levels.

1  
Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 05:01 pm
tsarstepan wrote:

fan fiction style shipping of Frankenstein/Frankenstein's monster was too on the nose for me.

I don't know what that means. Well, I looked it up but I'm still not sure.

I just like the scary stuff that happens.

1  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 07:38 am
@chai2,
I felt it was like fan fiction where some lonely teenage girl decided to rewrite the characters to have a romantic relationship (just for the sake of satisfying her own unfulfilled romantic needs).

And I didn't find the series at all scary... just too soap opery for my taste.

You didn't find anything on shipping? Not sure how hard you tried. Surprised

Example:
For decades, many fans were shipping Batman and Robin because of the over-the-top campy tone of the Adam West tv series.

1  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 08:21 am
No I found out what shipping was, but didn’t see how it applied to the show. That’s what I meant.

I find the vampires attacking, one person bursting out of the body of another, possession by a demon, werewolfs and so forth pretty entertaining and of the scary ilk. I guess my mind isn’t tuned to any romantic elements. I mean, there is the creature demanding a bride, but that’s got a precedent.

My husband turned me on to the show. I don’t think he noticed anything overtly romantic about it either.

I think, and I’m not saying this sarcastically at all, we just aren’t sophisticated enough viewers to even have any fan fiction, fan this or that, on our radars. We’re just not looking at it that way.

FWIW I like Ms Ives. She plays possessed real good. I don’t like Dorian Gray. I think he’s a douchebag. But I guess that’s the point.

Lash

1  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 03:11 pm
@boomerang,
The Pesci scene is one I’ll never forget. Few things are worse than being responsible for one you love more than you love yourself being brutally murdered.

Haunting. He knew he was next, but he didn’t seem to care.

1  
Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2018 10:56 am
@Lash,

1  
Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 11:00 am

1  
Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 08:36 am
Take a beloved children's tv program and turn its message of kindness and virtue and turn it on its wholesome head.
When Family Shows Kill

1  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 09:17 am
NPR's Planet Money tackles fiscally effective horror movies.
VIDEO: 8 Reasons Horror Movies Are Scary Good Business

A direct link to the video in question:
8 Reasons Horror Movies Are Scary Good Business