Name an instance of religious hypocrisy

jin kazama

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:57 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
How about the hypocritical Christians who battle AGAINST slavery...when their god instructs that slavery is perfectly moral and acceptable.

I take it you are not a christian?
0 Replies

jin kazama

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:02 pm
There is so much hypocrasy in the bible....a thing that comes to mind is "though shalt not kill" or whatever but then god gives orders for entire towns of people to be slaughtered... Surprised
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 02:05 pm
dauer wrote:
Also, there are other Jews who will pay to send their children to a Jewish day school and Jewish camps, but have not strong commitments to Judaism themselves besides bringing their children up Jewish.
That happened to me when I was young and I never thought much of it. My parents were not very religious at all, and I am not either. At both Peretz school and Jewish camp I do not recall religious indoctrination as being overt or consequential. Some Jewish language and a bit of Jewish culture yup, but net-net, a lot less than what both my parents would naturally have been immersed in I am sure.

However I did in fact get overt Christian indoctrination:
In Kindergarten vis-a-vis the lord's payer which was held in the local Christian church.

In the early years of public school vis-a-vis the lord's payer each morning and at assemblies too.

In both boy scouts and sea scouts by being shuttled off to the local Christian churches.

Were my parents hypocritical and if so how?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 08:55 pm
I was surprised to discover that you don't need to be a theist to be a good Jew. It's a tribal religion first and foremost...according to the Secular Jews anyway.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 09:12 pm
I looked up "secular" and "tribal religion" to make sure I was on the same page as you, and yes that fits the way my parents perceived my upbringing as cultural/tribal not religious. My mom used to tell me I am Jewish by ethnic origin, but as to religion (if any) I am free to choose.

I doubt I would even make even the beginnings of a "good Jew" by your definition as I remember very little about my cultural/tribal indoctraction.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:48 am
An AL-QAEDA symphatiser in Pakistan was involved in selling children, some to those involved with S*X
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:47 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Christians fighting for school prayer...and at other public functions...despite the injuction of Jesus that praying be done as unostentatiously as possible.

OMG school prayer again . DO you not know SCHOOL USED TO BE HELD IN THE CHURCH FOR KIDS TILL THE GOVERNMENT TOOK CONTROL.
Dude just hush you make your self look dumber than me by not knowing your history .
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:48 am
Badboy wrote:
An AL-QAEDA symphatiser in Pakistan was involved in selling children, some to those involved with S*X

Al Qaeda is not a relgion its a terriost group sorry no good on this one for this forum
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:16 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
Badboy wrote:

Al Qaeda is not a relgion its a terriost group sorry no good on this one for this forum

Al Qaeda is an Islamic, extremist organization. Since Islam is nonetheless a religion, it is extremely relevant in this forum (no pun intended).

(Can't you get a single idea in a sentence right?)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:20 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Christians fighting for school prayer...and at other public functions...despite the injuction of Jesus that praying be done as unostentatiously as possible.

OMG school prayer again . DO you not know SCHOOL USED TO BE HELD IN THE CHURCH FOR KIDS TILL THE GOVERNMENT TOOK CONTROL.
Dude just hush you make your self look dumber than me by not knowing your history .[/quote

Deal with what I wrote...or acknowledge that it is an instance of hypocrisy.

As for you judging my intelligence...well, thanks for the laugh.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 09:43 pm
jin_kazama wrote:
There is so much hypocrasy in the bible....a thing that comes to mind is "though shalt not kill" or whatever but then god gives orders for entire towns of people to be slaughtered... Surprised

Yea i got to prove you wrong there. God say "thou shalt not murder" This does not mean dent fight for what you believe, not to use self defense, this means not to seek vengance. This also does not mean not putting criminals to death sentence, b/c throughout the bible we see this being enforced.

Murder is unjust slaughter while killing can be used for fighting for good.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 09:58 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
God say "thou shalt not murder" This does not mean dent fight for what you believe, not to use self defense, this means not to seek vengance. This also does not mean not putting criminals to death sentence, b/c throughout the bible we see this being enforced.

Must be pretty cool to know exactly what God means when he 'says' anything.

Are you saying God says don't seek vengeance - well I'll rip that 'eye for an eye' page out of my old testament.

EpiNirvana wrote:
Murder is unjust slaughter while killing can be used for fighting for good.

And how does a mere human determine what is good? What happens when two equally god-fearing christian men don't agree on what the 'good' is - does one of them go to hell?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:20 pm
Quote:
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[g] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

and you next question is very interesting. Its is not wrong to debate over what is speculated, the christian religion says long as you believe and accept christ death and resusraection and cure for sin, your saved....So the basics are there for the most part
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:40 pm
Thanks for that quote Epi - which part of the bible is it from? I'm going to use next time some rabid christian abuses me for posting in favour of evolution.

From answers.com
Quote:

An Eye For An Eye

This idiom is a quotation from the Bible, which has "Life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth" (Deuteronomy 19:21); the idea is contradicted in the New Testament (see turn the other cheek).

I wonder if self-contradiction is a form of hypocrisy? Seems a less malevolent, more incompetent version of it.

Paraphrasing myself to remove the 'hell' reference:

How does a mere human determine what is good? What happens when two equally god-fearing christian men don't agree on what the 'good' is? How do you decide whether to fight that war, or object? Spare that prisoner lifer or flick the switch? Torture that POW or give him a chocolate bar?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:44 pm
i didnt include the reference? sry its Matthew 8:35 or 32, you can figure it out you seem smart
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:15 pm
Epi, I'm reasonably smart, comparatively speaking - but if you read your post you will see that Matthew isn't mentioned - just the verse numbers.

Cheers.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:08 pm
oops Embarrassed ...lol Razz ....yea, im an idiot
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:23 am
AL-QAEDA IN IRAQ(A POLITICO-RELIGIOUS ORGANISATION) says it is wrong for traders to sell falafels and Ice because those didn't exist in MOHAMMED times, but they use Kalashovas(sp?) and other weaponry not used in MOHAMMED times.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:14 am
sOME OF THOSE WHO CRITIZE THAT MUSLIM soldier who died in Afghanistan are selling drugs to fellow muslims!
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:31 am
That bombing(possibly al-qaida linked) in India.

Its seems that its possible muslim financier is into drugs dealing.
0 Replies