Name an instance of religious hypocrisy

Badboy

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 04:55 am
Not sure if it counts,but the JWS went around pointing out the child molesters in the Catholic Church,but the jws cover up their own paedophile problems.
see sites like lambsroar,hope I don't get into trouble saying things like that.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
Back to examples of hypocrisy in religion: what about people doing 'God's work'. Since when does an omnipotent being need a hand?
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
IBN LADEN claims to practise ISLAM, but when he was in Afghanistan didn't give alms(ONE OF THE FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM is to give alms to the poor)to any poor Afghan,one of the former Taliban who is running for elections in Afghanistan said,INN LADEN WAS A MISER WHO COULDN'T BARE TO PART FROM HIS CASH FOR ANY GOOD CAUSE UNLIKE HIS FATHER.
0 Replies

JoshuaAri

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 04:58 am
"If Jewish civilization is 6,000 years old, and Chinese culture is 4,000 years old, what did the Jews eat on Saturday nights for 2,000 years?"

I would like to inform you of two things:

Jewish Law does not allow eating things that are not permitted in the Torah. This means a Jew wouldn't be permitted to enter a non-Kosher (up to Jewish standards) Chinese restaurant.

Jews ARE able to eat other things than Chinese on Saturday nights, in case you didn't know that.
0 Replies

JoshuaAri

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:05 am
I think that the idea of Jews eating at Chinese restaurants on Christmas Eve is blown way out of proportion; it is not even a Jewish tradition -- on the contrary, it goes against halacha (Jewish Law).

These kinds of 'Jewish Behaviors' are perpetrated by non-observant Jews, and their behavior should not be taken into account as a general stereotype of Judaism.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:21 am
Here's an instance of hypocrisy in Hinduism:

" Life is tremulous, like a water-drop on a lotus-leaf... Time is plying, life is waning-yet the breath of hope never ceases. The body is wrinkled, the hair grey, the mouth has become toothless, the stick in the hand shakes, yet man leaves not the anchor of hope... Preserve equanimity always... In thee, in me and in others there dwells the Vishnu alone; it is useless to be angry with any body, or impatient. See every self in Self, and give up thought of difference."
http://www.kamakoti.org/souv/2-6.html

Yet,a majority of Hindus fervently believe in the caste system, till today. We believe that we can appease God by performing elaborate acts of worship involving throwing ghee, expensive silk as appeasements for the gods....
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:53 am
Does IBN LADEN PUT HIS MONEY IN INTEREST EARNING ACCOUNTS or does he deposit in accordance with Islamic principles?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:23 am
Religion = a God(of any religious kind)God= love, yet religion is a huge, maybe the biggest cause of violence on the planet.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:58 am
The Archbishop of Paris (I think it was) once collapsed and died in a brothel.

They carried him out into the street which is where he officially passed away.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:00 am
its hypocritical to think of or practise hinduism as a religion.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:45 pm
brahmin wrote:
so what is it brahmin? and doesnt your name have some hindu caste connection?

Spendi.

You will have to be more specific than that. There have been so many cardinals archbishops imans and rabbis that have died (cough) on the job with a woman of ill repute that one is spoiled for choice. But then religion has its perks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:04 pm
Steve-

I've forgotten.I've read the story twice though in different places.

When those big pow-wows took place like Trent every whore in Europe headed there like they are supposed to be girding their loins for ready for The World Cup.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
well yes.

i should have first defined "religion" and "way of life".

religion - has a founder. has laws, do's and don'ts. tenets. followers live their life in the way the founder deemed they should. eg - judaism, buddhism

way of life - no founder. the bell curve of religious beliefs of a people. no laws NEED be followed, tho through continuous and repeated practice, "law"-like practices start appearing on the hrizon. followers are of that "way of life" because of what they are and not what they believe in or do. Eg - hindu or wicca or asatru.

an irish/celtic person is a celtic irrespective of what they believe. i am a hindu coa i AM a hindu by blood, irrespective of whether i believe in a single thing about hinduism.

there are basically 2 kinds of religious systems (or a combination or approximation of them) - the democratic and the dictatorial.

in the democratic kind, there is no founder, and the bell curve of the religious beliefs (or the religious way of life of the people, if u prefer) of the people (which may or may not be codified in a book), becomes their religion. for example asatru is the bell curve of the combined religious beliefs and practices of the germanic people.

but in judaism or buddhism or sikhism or christianity, there is a founder who lays down what the followers should believe in and what not. what they should do and what not. so thats dictatorial, in as much as one person dictates what other people's religious beliefs and practices should be.

and yes my name has some hindu caste connection.

it so happens that all walks of life can be divided (or at least back in the day could be divided - now there are new walks of life comming everyday - example = disc jockey) into 4 categories or a approximation of combination of them.

those who are into administration (from priminister to soldier to watchman)

those who are into academics (from doctor to scientist to priest to artist)

those who are into trade (tycoon to shop keeper to retailer)

proletariat (those who live off their manual labour)

of course there are approximations/combinations of them - even in BC days the king had experts on governance advising him, and those were have academic-half administrative in their type of work.

brahmins (as also the magi of iran and the druids of ireland - druid comes from the words dru-vid, where dru means immerse and vid means knowledge) are the academic class, not necessarily priests.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 03:12 pm
thanks brahmin

have not studied your post will do so and come back

meanwhile west ham 1 bolton wanderers 1

and boro 1 Roma 0

amazing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 03:33 pm
Boro won? There is a god.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:42 am
I see Charles Taylor,former president of Liberia was a Baptist lay preachers,even American Evangelists visited him,while he supported the Sierran Leone civil War(he got paid in blood diamonds).

Definately a hypocrite!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:01 am
brahmin wrote:

I rather think Hinduism as a Culture than Religion
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:09 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
ok thats enough christian hypocracy

some muslim and jewish examples please

(I'm writing all this down)

Most muslims not being able to read Arabic and yet most muslims being denied access to translations. This means that most muslims quote in Arabic but ahve no idea what is says other than what the Sheika (spell?) says.

I'm not sure if this is hypocracy by itself, but literally not being able understand what you are reading is just a breeding ground for hypocracy.

Hajibs for women only.

er... Judism... I have little knowledge of, but if they follow any of the old testimate at all, there is plenty shared hypocracy with Christians.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:24 am
One Pakistani `Taliban' have dirty films in his living quaters.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:08 pm
Two trapped miners in Australia this week found alive praised as a god-given miracle......nothing mentioned of the cave-in, or the guy who died being god's work though.
0 Replies