Hydrogen Era

el pohl

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:10 am
Did anyof you read the article on Motor Trend regarding Hydrogen and other alternative fuels?

If I remember well, the governor of California (I dont like to spell his name...) planned to have Hydrogen refuilling stations alongside some freeway (I know its some very vague information...sorry about that).

What do you think of this? Is such expense justified in this era? Ain't it a bit too soon? And do you think that maybe one day alternative fuels will match the horsepower that big blocks produce in the current time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 916 • Replies: 2
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:17 am
There is a company called Changin World Technoligies that is making crude oil from turkey guts, old tires and other forms of refuse. Virtually any organic material can make a cleaner burning fuel than the type we pump out of the ground. It's cheaper and nearly as non-polluting as Hydrogen.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
The title to this thread should have a question mark after it. Hydrogen Era? This may seem a little jumbled, but I'll try to keep it clear.

I have touted the diesel engine as: "Diesels, the cars of the immediate future." This is a tough sell. The GM fiasco with the V8 Oldsmobile diesel is forever ingrained in the minds of American men as proof that diesels don't work?

Myth: Diesels don't start in cold weather.
Myth: Diesels are noisy.
Myth: Diesels smoke.
Myth: Diesels don't accelerate, they gather momentum.
Myth: Diesels are environmently bad.

Along comes Consumers Reports (after years of either ignoring diesels or condemning them) Has a new cover story titled "Fueling the Future," which says that a number of promising alternatives to the conventional, gasoline- powered car are being developed and goes on to list hybrids, diesels and alternative-fuel cars.

The article also refers to how diesels will have less emission problems in 2006 when low-sulphur diesel fuel is introduced.

It says that hydrogen fuel cells are at least a decade away from being a practical alternative.
0 Replies