Judge Spares Prison for 'Entitled' Rapist Who Admitted Attack on 'F*cking B*tch' Who Rejected Him

Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:27 am
@maxdancona,
That's right.

Do you see this as no different from a case where someone uses a date-rape drug on someone in order to take advantage of them? If you see it as different, explain your reasoning.

Do you believe that the judge was too lenient when you consider the crime he is guilty of?
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:34 am
@Glennn,
Yes, I believe the judge was too lenient considering the crime he is guilty of.

I think the case of a date-rape drug is slightly different because it would involve a different level of intent... but I don't think that is relevant in this case. I agree that this person should have spent 10-12 years in jail.

I think you and I are mostly in agreement on all of this.
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:43 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Prosecutors said Wilkerson sexually assaulted the first-year student, who is now 21, on March 15, 2014, after telling the intoxicated woman’s friends he would care for her.

This puts his crime in the same category as one in which he used a date-rape drug. The point is not whether or not he administered the drug; it's that he took advantage of the situation to sexually assault her. Not much difference at all.
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:44 am
@Glennn,
OK I agree with you. What's your point.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:46 am
@Glennn,
If you are here to pick an ideological fight with me, you are going to have to say something that I disagree with. Otherwise, I don't get why you are here.

Did you actually read the article?
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:50 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I haven't given an opinion on this decision. I am merely pointing out that the actual issue is far more complicated than you are making it out to be.

Calm down. We're having a discussion. Earlier you said that you haven't given an opinion because it's complicated. I was simply trying to get at what you thought the complication of the situation was.
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:02 am
@Glennn,
Did you read the article? If you read the article, you will understand the reason that the judge gave for his decision to not sentence this person to jail. My objection is to Bobsal writing an ideological post about this case without any discussion, or even an acknowledgement, of the real issue behind it.

(By the way, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said that I haven't given an opinion "because it's complicated". Those were two different statements, not an indication of causality.)

When you write reactionary posts about court cases without discussing the underlying issues behind the decision... you are going see me object.

If there is room for an intelligent discussion about the real issue without personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with an ideological narrative, then you will have my respect.
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:03 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't know what else the judge could have done.

Why would you say such a thing? Colorado law is clear concerning the penalty for this crime.
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:04 am
@Glennn,
Finally! An indication that someone here, besides me, read the article thoughtfully (you did read it, right?). It took a page and a half to get beyond the ideological attacks to something resembling an intelligent discussion on the actual issue.

Do you feel like a life sentence would be appropriate for this crime?
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't know what else the judge could have done.

This indicates that you agree with the sentence.
Quote:
I haven't given an opinion on this decision.

This indicates that you neither agree nor disagree with the sentence.
Quote:
I believe the judge was too lenient

This indicates that you disagree with the sentence.
I'm not sure where you're coming from. Are you?
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:28 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
I'm not sure where you're coming from. Are you?

No, I am not. It must be nice to have such ideological purity that one doesn't need to look at both sides of an issue or deal with decisions that aren't so black and White. But sadly I am not at that point.

I believe that the judge should have the authority to give a 10-12 year sentence that ends after 10-12 years. Do you agree with that?
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
No, I am not. It must be nice to have such ideological purity that one doesn't need to look at both sides

Why don't you provide the other side--the one you accuse bob and myself of not taking into account?
Quote:
The problem with an ideological narrative is that you cherry pick any thing that supports your bias and ignore everything else. In this case it is causing you to completely ignore the real story.

Why don't you provide the real story that you accuse bob of ignoring?
Quote:
I believe that the judge should have the authority to give a 10-12 year sentence that ends after 10-12 years.

What makes you think that the judge didn't have the authority to sentence this man to prison for several years? Colorado law is clear on the matter of this case when it comes to sentencing.
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:40 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
What makes you think that the judge didn't have the authority to sentence this man to prison for several years? Colorado law is clear on the matter of this case when it comes to sentencing.

Darn! So you still haven't read the article after all. The article makes it clear why the judge doesn't have this authority. You can read it at your leisure.

Bobsal started this thread (along with a similarly problematic thread) to make an ideological point. When I questioned the ideological point, he or she resorted to a personal attack. Then you came in making an ideological attack. You still aren't addressing the issue (which I have tried repeatedly to do).

I thought for a brief second that you were ready to have an intelligent discussion on the issue behind this story. This last post makes me think that maybe I was hoping too hard.
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The article makes it clear why the judge doesn't have this authority.

I read the article. Why don't you point out the segment which makes clear that the judge doesn't have the authority to sentence this man according to Colorado law concerning this crime.
Quote:
I don't know what else the judge could have done. It sounds like they should rethink the law.

As I said, the law is clear as to the penalty for sexual assault. The judge could have done what he was supposed to do. I have no idea why you think the judge had no choice in the matter of sentencing.
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:22 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
The judge said he spared Wilkerson from prison, which prosecutors had sought, because Colorado law would have kept him there under the sex assault conviction until he was deemed fit.

“I’ve struggled, to be quite frank, with the idea of, ‘Do I put him in prison?’” Butler said. “I don’t know that there is any great result for anybody. Mr. Wilkerson deserves to be punished, but I think we all need to find out whether he truly can or cannot be rehabilitated.”

Read this carefully. Do you see the issue here?
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:33 pm
@maxdancona,
And what is the problem with keeping him in prison until he was deemed fit?

But that's not the issue here. You said that the judge didn't have the authority to sentence him to prison. That is not true. He even says that he struggled with the question of whether or not to put him in prison. Obviously he had the authority. The judge failed to sentence him according to the law.

Again, point out the segment in the article that makes it clear that the judge didn't have the authority to sentence this man according to Colorado law concerning this crime.
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:37 pm
@Glennn,
I am objecting to the senseless ideological outrage that you and Bobsal are expressing without indicating any understanding of the issue involved. And I really object to the fact that raising questions leads to nasty personal attacks rather than intelligent discussion.

My understanding of the issue is that it would have been an indefinite sentence that could have lasted the rest of his life.

I am not saying I agree with the judge. I am only saying that if you are going to reject this decision with such outrage, one should at least make an attempt to understand it first.

I am wondering if the judge could have sentenced him to 10-12 years after which he was set free... if that would seem like an acceptable sentence to you. Changing the law to fix this problem might be reasonable.

In my opinion, a life sentence is a little harsh.
Glennn

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:41 pm
@maxdancona,
Why do you believe that he would not be deemed fit for the rest of his life? Would you want him out of jail if he was not deemed fit?
maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:41 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
The judge failed to sentence him according to the law.

I don't believe that this is factually true. Do you have any evidence that the judge acted in a way that was contrary to his authority under the law.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 05:44 pm
@Glennn,
Good Glenn, at least we are having an intelligent discussion now. I feel I have accomplished something (after 2 pages).

No, as I said, a life sentence seems excessive. I didn't sit through the testimony nor do I have any real understanding of Colorado law... neither do you. There is a reason that the people who make these decisions actually spend the time listening to the testimony and getting a law degree. All we have to go on is a single article and our own personal biases.

That being said, it seems to me that a 10-12 year sentence is about right in this case.

But this is just my opinion.