????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 17,063 • Replies: 435
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:42 pm
Soul on Ice was an interesting book, I believe it was written by Eldridge Cleaver.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:57 pm
what is it about, is it a pro-soul book?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
Yes,

not re Cleaver...

I believe we have souls.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
I hate to give away endings. It's still in print and available I am sure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:01 pm
Ohmagawd! Lash is back!

Souls? I suppose it would depend on definitions. Not in any religious sense, though.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:12 pm
soul = life giving energy/force, true essence, spirit
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:14 pm
I believe the only way to have a soul is by eating boiled okra, babyback ribs slathered in honey BBQ sauce and cornpone while listening to Mississippi Fred McDowel play bottle-neck guitar. Now if your talking transmografication of souls, no, I am neither Catholic nor Protestant. Heathens ain't got no souls.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
existence preceeds essence, if in doubt look it up under Albert Camus.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:26 pm
I thought I had a soul - until I realized James Brown and Bootsy Collins had it all. Wink

I think I do have a soul - I personally believe that God cannot make something out of nothing - so I think our souls are little bits of God.

I think this is what makes them infinite and why we should respect and love one another.

TTF
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:26 pm
i see soul as this life-giving energy not this religious entity plus i have a near death experience so i believe
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
No soul.

Soul on Ice was one of those books everyone read back in the sixties. Cleaver was one of those darlings of the rich liberals who made a living out of being Black, and preaching Black Power. I always thought him an opportunist, and disliked his Marxist orientation.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
I believe in soles.

As for souls, however, I believe in souls by gold bars's definition:

Quote:
Soul=life giving energy, force, true essence, spirit

Which, btw, is very beautiful. But I'm not so sure that it isn't completely organic. I don't know if i believe in an eternal soul, however.

Fool, dyslexia, you have it wrong. Having a soul has nothing to do with okra. The only way to get a soul is to give me large quantities of money and alcohol.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:37 pm
I believe that there is some sort of spiritual part of the self but I am not so sure it can be untethered from the physical part. When I die, then I'll know.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm
My dear friend Asherman, Soul On Ice was a composition intended to alieviate the liberals from their pocketbooks and was quite successful, and now you argue with capitalism? shame on you!!!
Opportunity knocked and Eldredge answered, it's the american way.
0 Replies

Gold Barz

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:57 pm
Asherman i thought you believed in souls, you said you believed in Buddhism?
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:07 pm
This sent me to my bookshelves looking for my ancient copy of Soul on Ice (heavily annotated by my 18ish-old-hippie-self), but alas, tis gone, no doubt a downsizing victim of my last move. Probably languishing in the used book bin at the library.

I believe in soul food.

A literal soul? My grandfather swore he watched the soul rise out of a dead body of a sick relative he watched die. Said it was a wispy white emanation that drifted upward and vanished through the ceiling. My grandfather was not a religious man, preferring to sit on the porch swing waiting for Sunday dinner while the family went to church. But this he believed to his bones.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:10 pm
Goldbars,

It is a fundamental doctrine of Buddhism that there is no soul (sanskrit. atman). No god(s), no souls, no multiplicity of being. I've written extensively on this, click on my name and review some of the thousand odd posts I've made on Buddhism. I don't "believe" in Buddhism, I'm a Buddhist. A subtle, but "real" difference.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:22 pm
Yes, anatman (no soul) is part of the Buddhist creed. I think, however, that the term, Atman, has two meanings/usages. One is the individual soul that the Buddha rejected and the other is the Universal soul, which, in Hinduism, is a manifestation of Brahma; atman is each individual's portion of the universal Brahma, like the multiple reflections of the single moon in many ponds. I, too, have tried to describe this belief elsewhere, and like Ash, I would not like to repeat the effort here
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
If I were a buddhist, I too would exclude souls as being 'real' (in essence, which is why I doubt they'd be 'real'). anyway, I don't believe in souls now either.
JLN, have you read anything about the holographic universe? I advice it. Short read, supports your views. Easy to read (not that that's a requirement Wink by micheal talbot. Google it if you like.
0 Replies