Beyond the Sea, stars Kevin Spacey

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
An odd idea, edgar. One I'd never considered. You'd actually prefer Spacey lip syncing rather than actually singing himself? I can appreciate that but doesn't it seem less than sincere? Sissy Spacek did her own singing in "Coal Miner's Daughter" and altho' I'm not a big fan of Loretta Lynn, I never heard a complaint from those who are.

I've read that Spacey is a terrific singer. So is Jamie Foxx. But you'd rather they lip sync? Interesting.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:24 am
Miss Letty wrote:
I remember, also, that Joaquin Phoenix was supposed to do the biog of Johnny Cash starting in July. Not another word about it.

Here's a link about the upcoming Johnny Cash biopic starring Joaquin Phoenix. It's supposed to be released next April.

Great thread, Edgar. I'm definitely looking forward to Beyond the Sea.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
Great, Max. Thanks. Also (and Dlowan may be interested in this)John Malkovich is supposed to star in a movie adapted from Douglas Adams' A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. That I want to see, as well.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:26 pm
Anything with Mr. Malkovich.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:33 pm
I do, too, eoe. I cut my teeth on computers by playing Infocom interactive fiction games. Hitchhikers Guide was one of them.

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005/DEFGH/Hitchhikers/trailer.php

I truly believe that those computer games were much more challenging to the mind than the present ones. They improved vocabulary, reading, problem solving, an entire raft of things.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:43 pm
Malkovich=riveting
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
2 words.
Dangerous Liasons.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:27 pm
Right, eoe. I thought he was a great villain in "The Line of Fire."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
Yes, I'll go see anything Malkovich does. Could anyone else have pulled off Being John Malkovich? (with a different title of course) Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:30 pm
Dangerous and Line of Fire...oh boy!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:36 pm
Mac, I didn't see that one, but I loved your comment.

Damn, panz. Didn't you love the way Glen Close got it in the end? hee hee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:50 pm
Yes, I, a Bandstand kind of guy, prefer the dude to lipsinc a Darin song rather than do it himself. I find it distracting that I am asked to believe this guy that only superficially resembles him can sing enough like him to satisfy my fancy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:01 pm
edgar, Most people thought that George Clooney was REALLY singing those songs. There is an art to lip sync. I was stunned when I learned that George was Rosemary's kith and kin. There is something so haunting about old mountain music. Perhaps it's because it is REAL. We don't have to like the genre, but we must appreciate the pureness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:28 pm
I love old mountain music. I've never seen Clooney in a film with music. I loved his Aunt Rosemary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:30 pm
On the subject of lip synching, I initially thought Audrey Hepburn sang Eliza Doolittle's songs in My Fair Lady, one of my favorite films.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Yes, I, a Bandstand kind of guy...

Laughing

Edgar, you have GOT to rent "Brother, Where Art Thou?" with George Clooney. You will love it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:00 pm
My God, edgar. You've never seen O Brother Where Art Thou? Stunned.

Listen to eoe of the southeast.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:04 pm
When you rent BWAT listen for Ralph Stanley singing "Oh Death" It'll prickle your neck hairs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:14 pm
panz, you are sooooooooooooo right. The combination of the grand wizard and the ku Klux Clan is chilling. Wow. I gotta get off this pc.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:21 pm
Ku Klux Klan in a musical?
0 Replies