Beyond the Sea, stars Kevin Spacey

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
By Jeffrey Hodgson

TORONTO (Reuters) - Late music legend Bobby Darin has taken centre stage at the Toronto International Film Festival with the world premiere of "Beyond the Sea," Kevin Spacey's impassioned biopic of the "Mack the Knife" singer.

Spacey spent more than a decade pursuing the role before deciding to produce, direct and co-write the film himself.

The two-time Oscar-winning actor said he felt compelled to tell the story of Darin, who became one of the biggest musical acts of the 1950s and '60s before a premature death in 1973 at age 37.

"I think he's been the forgotten one. Of all those Rat Pack guys and the revivals that have happened over the last 10 years of that kind of music ... Bobby Darin isn't as known and revered because I think he died too young," Spacey told Reuters before a gala screening in Toronto on Saturday.

"I hope this movie finally brings the attention and revival to his whole catalogue, and to who he was as an entertainer, that I just think is long overdue."

"Beyond the Sea" tracks Darin's life from his impoverished upbringing in New York. The singer suffered from childhood rheumatic fever that damaged his heart and left doctors convinced he'd never live to adulthood.

The experience made Darin fiercely ambitious. Determined to become a legend before the age of 25, he initially found fame with hits like "Splish Splash" and "Dream Lover."

After moving to movies, he met and married fellow teen idol Sandra Dee, a tempestuous relationship that ended in divorce.

Spacey said he grew up loving Darin's music, but the idea of a film took hold after he learned the details of his "unbelievable" story.

He tried without success to get involved with earlier Darin projects that never got off the ground. When he secured the film rights for himself he didn't plan to direct. Failed attempts to hire a director convinced him otherwise.

NOW OR NEVER

"I realised that I was either going to make this movie this year or I was never going to make this movie. And when I was faced with that choice, I decided I'll take the risk," Spacey said.

"Even though it's the first time I've officially directed myself, trust me, I've directed myself."

Spacey's choice was made all the riskier with his decision to sing his own songs and include large dance production numbers in the movie.

The actor, who won Oscars for "The Usual Suspects" and "American Beauty," admits to being nervous about how audiences will respond to the picture. He said it was way too soon to speculate about whether "Beyond the Sea" would be an award contender.

Spacey said he was encouraged by a screening of the film for Darin's son Dodd and former manager Steve Blauner, portrayed in the move by John Goodman.

"They're the two biggest critics I could have faced. And they are overjoyed at this movie ... as far as I'm concerned, that's all I need," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,791 • Replies: 60
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:36 am
I'm looking forward to this. I like Spacey and ever since I heard Mack The Knife I liked Darin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:52 am
I viewed Darin in an almost brotherly way, watching him grow from the brash young star, maturing and developing more thoughtful themes, becoming political for the right causes (he and Bobby Kennedy sat on a plane singing songs just before the assassination). His death left a hole in that part of my life. After so long, I still miss seeing something new from him.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:14 pm
I'm looking forward to both BEYOND THE SEA and RAY
the biography of Ray Charles starring Jamie Fox
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:33 pm
Right. I love Ray also.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:38 pm
What's the best biopic?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
I don't know. Why Do Fools Fall in Love was so depressing, I found it difficult to watch it all. La Bamba and The Buddy Holly Story were generally good. Lady Sings the Blues was great. So much tragedy in most of them.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:45 pm
Tina Turner one was very very good
Same with Coal Miners Daughter
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:48 pm
Right. They were both good.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:23 am
Jimmy Stewart in THE GLENN MLLER STORY
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:02 pm
Another tragedy was the movie about Patsy Cline.
I liked the Jerry Lee Lewis movie starring Dennis Quaid.
I think Oliver Stone's, "The Doors" was his masterpiece with Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:13 pm
Those three were excellent. Man With The Golden Arm was sort of a biopic. And Eastwood's "Bird" was fascinating.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:04 am
I think I saw The Glenn Miller Story when I was too young to appreciate it. I love his music and know a little of his biography. I'll have to find a copy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:29 am
When my ex and I moved into our house, back in the mid seventies, I am sure we startled the neighbors by having Glenn Miller as our music playing while we did the scraping and painting on the exterior. That wasn't all we played, but it's what I remember. The neighbors' enjoyed it..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:00 am
Another, Your Cheatin Heart, about Hank Williams, I never saw, despite the fact I remain a Williams fan.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:10 am
thiefoflight wrote:
I'm looking forward to both BEYOND THE SEA and RAY
the biography of Ray Charles starring Jamie Fox

Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing both as well.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:08 pm
Sheeeze, edgar. I saw that and told one of my Canadian friends about it. I really want to see Kevin Spacey sync Bobby Darin. Frank Sinatra's influence changed Darin's entire style --and for the better.

I remember, also, that Joaquin Phoenix was supposed to do the biog of Johnny Cash starting in July. Not another word about it.

I posted the lyrics to Beyond the Sea on my "Shelter in the Storm" thread, so I won't do it here. Wow, more synchronicity
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 05:59 pm
I can't tell you how important Bobby Darin has been to me. Even if the movie is terrible, I am apt to treasure it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:29 pm
Just learned that Kevin sings Darin's songs. I've always been of the opinion that the original recordings should be used in these things. After all, that's the main ingredient to their magic and their popularity.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:48 pm
Damn, edgar. I thought he was going to lip sync. Have you ever heard Spacey sing? I haven't.
0 Replies