'It's a Wonderful Life'

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:29 pm
Good grief. You couldn't pay me enough to stay in the room when this is on - I haven't got the right 'weepy' gene for it. <shakes head>. I generally love Jimmy Stewart, but this one ...

Thank goodness for differing tastes and opinions. We'd all be fighting over one move at the rental place otherwise.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:33 pm
I've heard folk say it's one of the most depressing movies...

Not me, though. One of the best movies about suicide... that and Harold and Maude kept me alive through a dark patch long time ago.

A cinematic example of 'the butterfly effect', wherein a butterfly's wing in China could cause a tornado in Texat. George Bailly is a butterfly's wing...

Lessee.. Mrs. SealPoet and I are celebrating one year in a house that is old and needs mega-repairs. fortunately no one threw rocks through the windows, but shortly after we had moved in I cahnced to grab the top of the newell post. It came off in my hand, and I exclaimed loudly enough to scare the cat 'Zuzu's petals!'.

Mrs. SealPoet got that immediatly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:37 pm
now, Harold and Maude. I'd arm-wrestle you for that one at the corner video shop.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:40 pm
ehbeth ~ agreed! I don't like 'Charlie Brown's Christmas', but there are tons of people who do.....

sealpoet ~ I knew the kid's name began with a Z.....Where I came up with Zoe, I couldn't tell ya. <honest, I do love/own the movie>
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:41 pm
Never heard of Harold and Maude.....What's that one about guys Question
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:48 pm
Harold and Maude details
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0067185
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:53 pm
Thanks, husker! I'll check it out. :wink:
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:57 pm
Wow! If I have time, I'll definitely rent that this weekend! Thanks again, husker. Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 06:58 pm
No Problem
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 07:29 pm
It's a Wonderful Life didn't do much for me for a long time, I think I was put off by the black and white. About fifteen years ago one of my friends who loved the movie got me hooked somehow. These days I probably watch it three/four times a season. My kids watch it with me. We all just love it and try to ring a lot of bells!

Harold and Maude? That was cute but I don't know how many times I'd want to watch it. Once more, anyway.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:04 pm
Piffka! I so relate to your story! I can't even remember now what 'turned me off' about this movie the first few times, but I do remember my sister forcing me to sit through the whole thing once and I've been hooked ever since.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 08:34 pm
I watch "It's A Wonderful Life" every time it's on, even though I say not again, 6 times is enough. Once I start watching it, I'm hooked.
I love "A Christmas Story" (the one with the Red Ryder BB Gun). Each time I see that one, I pick up on something I missed previously. I think those two films improve with age, just like we're all doing. Right?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:09 pm
Hmmm, Rae, it sounds like you've got my kind of sisters... and friends! They know what is best. It's easier just to go along and sometimes they are right!

Oh yeah, Aggie! A Christmas Story is fabulous. Lots to pick up on, and so much to remember & enjoy. Is there anybody who doesn't like this movie?!?? The dogs, the tree, the lamp, the swearing, the meals, the little brother. Very Memorable!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:27 pm
Harold & Maude...yeah!! EhBeth..Id tackle you in the parking lot Wink

A Christmas story...raising my hand as probably the only person who doesnt like the film, and I really have yet to understand why I just really dont like it for some reason
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 10:34 pm
Well, there you go. Just as Beth said. Some people like some things, etc. etc.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 05:40 am
Different strokes.....

I crack up every time I hear the dad mispronounce 'fragile' in regards to the gawdy lamp. Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:12 am
Yep. Poor guy, that lamp was so important to him. An icon to winning.

I crack up at how it looks like his head will explode before he can start his next round of swearing.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 04:51 pm
Love this film--my favourite scene is the rather obvious dance hall bit Smile

Lorn
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 05:09 pm
Dance Hall??? I'm trying to think... in The Christmas Story??? I'll have to look for it when they start showing this again. I can't remember. <stunned & shocked she retires to her bed>
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 10:28 am
No--in It's A Wonderful Life...when their dancing and the floor goes out from under them?

Smile
0 Replies