Environmentally friendly ways to murder snails .... kindly

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:15 pm
I think he's asleep. Makes me sense that he might be in the eastern US, snuggling around the sheep in the meadows.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:16 pm
Could be, osso. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:17 pm
No, no, I meant goats in the meadows.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:25 pm
... which brings me back to snails in the garden!
I wonder if & when snails sleep? During the day, I guess. I just went out in the Freezing cold & not a snail to be seen! I suspect they're planning their tactics for tonight. I'd better go get that beer, hey?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:38 pm
I admire you. I just can't get into digging little holes for beer dishes...

though what am I saying, I dig little holes for lots of plants.

The thing with the ammonia, is you see them crump, which might revolt you.

I am busy killing mice, myself. Me, who likes mice. But it is them or me. Finally found something that works consistently. Schniff.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:41 pm
You haven't adopted a cat, have you, osso?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:05 am
Ms, I adore cats. I am extremely allergic to them. Lived with cats in my rather long and mostly happy marriage, kerchoo!, would even sneeze as I entered the property, which even I thought was psychological but was probably allergenic, on later consideration. A lot of that went away when we remodelled, that was the beginning of the end of the marriage, but never mind.

In the now, I have this damned dog, who is nonfierce to the feral cats at work and ferocious personified to any dog that approaches our work door. I am sort of waiting to get sued for someone frightened to walk in the gallery. And if he gets out, it's all over, as he and another dog did go at it, about a year ago. Luckily, in that one, the other owner thought it was her dog's fault and we disclosed our own rabies cert numbers. We were both relieved when we pulled them apart.

Let me say I wouldn't pick a corgi for this situation, from afresh.

In the meantime, I, and my business partner who is beginning to pay attention to this, after all the advice on how he was no problem, are very attuned.

I'd love a cat and I think Pacco might too. After all, he likes Printer...

It's me that goes into asthma tharn...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:16 am
And here I was, thinking that Pacco was Mr Gentle! :wink: ..... Well obviously to cats, he is, but ..... a worry, indeed, osso.

I asked about you acquiring a cat after you said:

"I am busy killing mice, myself. Me, who likes mice. But it is them or me. Finally found something that works consistently. Schniff."

I figured a Felix MUST have been the solution! Such an obvious one, if asthma is not a problem!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:33 am
No, I spent twenty dollars, thereabouts, for this electonic thingy. It's working. Sigh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:42 am
<sigh> That's good.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:45 am
<sigh> That's good.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:08 am
Back a few pages, you asked if one can eat garden snails... I've heard you can. You collect them and put them in a box of sawdust (some hardwood kind, not pine or cedar) for a week or two to "clean them out" and then proceed to saute' with garlic...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:02 am
You could always rehabilitate them by pointing out there error of their ways...........
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:03 am
... there's gotta be a 12-step program. 'We acknowledge that there is a higher power involved in our craving for green leafy material'.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:08 am
I like that one Stilly...green leafy material....heh heh.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:09 am
Yeah, I crack myself up.......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:03 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
You could always rehabilitate them by pointing out there error of their ways...........

I hadn't thought of that. Give the poor blighters a chance to redeem themselves. Begin anew. Very enlightened, Mr S!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:09 am
I hope you noted Wy's post as well msolga. Yes, garden snails are generally edible, but must be starved for a while to rid them of toxins. However, if you have used any pesticides whatsoever in your garden, it's best to avoid eating the buggers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:16 am
Thanks, cav. I just read it. (thanks, Wy)

I don't have any intention of eating them actually, just wondered ...

I have a wonderful little book on southern Italian cooking (written by a countess, or something, about her estate.) There's a photograph of a small tree, completely denuded of leaves & totally covered in snails - all intended for cooking. A delicacy, apparently.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:37 am
I just had an idea....buy some canned escargots, drain the water off, and then cover them with beer and use those as the traps. Imagine the satisfaction of knowing they are getting drunk and eating their brethren. Muahaha...
0 Replies