Casting numbers

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 04:37 pm
Hello all,

Currently I have just found out that the mechanic who is working on my car is a scam artist, and I suspect he is ripping pieces off of my car and replacing them with junk. I even caught him trying to replace my shiny new carburetor with an older one.

Anyways, do you know if there is an identification code for the carburetor similar to that of a vin? The carburetor is a edelbrock performer 650.

Also, does anyone know where the major driveline codes are stamped? Mainly trans and block.

The car is a 78 camaro that I have been working on for some time now.

Thanks everyone Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:35 pm
when did you first notice that he was doing these things? HAd he replaced other parts before?
0 Replies

juggern4ut

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:55 pm
re
I just noticed the other day, I bought a carburetor that worked perfectly and gave it to him to bolt on. Now he said the injector pump was broken..... yeaaah, a fuel injection pump in a carburetor.

Now I know he is saying it is broken and he wants to pay more so he can buy one. I am trying to make sure he didn't still my th400 transmission, and that the 355 he supposed to be putting in is not a 305 in disguise.

Once a mechanic pulls something like this, I feel as if he is cutting me somewhere else also, so I was going to look for the casting numbers.

Thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:10 pm
Re: re
juggern4ut wrote:
I just noticed the other day, I bought a carburetor that worked perfectly and gave it to him to bolt on. Now he said the injector pump was broken..... yeaaah, a fuel injection pump in a carburetor.

Are you sure he didn't just use the wrong term or that you didn't hear something other than what he said? Your carb does have an accelerator pump.

But to your first question, it should. Carb's should have a tag on them that lists the exact model number and it's serial number.
0 Replies

juggern4ut

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:14 pm
I am aware of the accelerator pump, but he distinctly said injector pump, and even repeated it.

He also said that the float bowl was dry, and the next day he said it was fine.

He is also locally known for his notorious work.

Thanks for your info though
0 Replies