Buying a new Laptop

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 05:57 pm
we strive to be at least comical Smile
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 06:12 pm
Thanks, Timber!! I was hoping that we could both be on-line at the same time at home. Oh well, I'm usually here, at the office, anyway, and we have a super-fast DSL line here.

BTW, we always buy Dell laptops, here at the office. The architects here all prefer Dell.

Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:32 pm
funny?
yer the funny one!
so there pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:39 pm
you all're funnier.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
oh shooot, i missed this all. how do you people keep track? anyhoo, my new computer is absolutely wonderful, only thing remaining for him to learn is to move. He does everything else, he talks to me, sings for me, remembers things for me, reminds me when I have to go do things. WHo needs humans with such a friend? Thank you fishin a godzillion, i just bought it straight off the link you sent. dell inspiron, mightily inspiring.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 10:26 am
Do you have it back yet?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 12:32 pm
One of my puters at work is a Dell Inspiron laptop as far as laptops go it's alright.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 01:35 pm
yep, it's right here. i know of no better! well, to tell the truth i only know this notebook and the one i had before, winbook from 1994. but those statements don't oppose each other, now do they?!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 03:02 pm
Glad you are happy with the new toy dagmaraka! There are better laptops out there but you get what you pay for. IMO, you got a darn good deal on that one. Now if you had $4000 to spend on a lattop I might have made some other recommendations. Smile

Enjoy it. Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 03:04 pm
Not that I have 4000 to blow an a new laptop but I am curious as to what the recommendations would include.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
Given the choice I'd go with an IBM X30 with the full docking station, CD-RW/DVD, 17" flast screeen TFT panel and a memory upgrade, spare battery...

I just bought one for one of the people at the office and it came in at about $3,700.00. Verra nice... The laptop itself weighs in at under 4lbs.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 06:34 pm
um, no. i think i am done for awhile. but the day i get rich i will surely look for something fancier. hmmm, maybe i should start looking for a job for now...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:11 am
I am back!!! with the same new laptop-related problem. Sooo, my shiny newish Dell Inspiron 2650 came with a simple CD-Rom Samsung SN-124. I wanted to upgrade to CD-burner/DVD player and got one as a birthday gift yesterday. It is Dell 24X CD-RW/DVD module 8R990. The gifter however did not read the fine print - it says it is compatible with Dell 8000 and 4000 series. It is too wide to fit into 2650 as an internal drive :-( So, should I make the gifter return it and buy some module that will fit into my computer, or can I still make it work as an external drive perhaps? Any ideas? I can't get any useful help from Dell, all I got from them on the Dell online forum is that it should be compatible, but I have no clue how to make it work. I lost all the cables that came with the computer - guess I'll go forage for some cables that would do the trick and see if it runs? oh sigh, i will kill the whole day with it and don't even know if it will work. HELP someone!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:12 am
This is the description of the unit from the Dell website:

The Dell™ DVD / CD-RW Combination Drive brings all the advantages of DVD-ROM, a CD-RW, and a CD-ROM to a single drive. It also allows you to save valuable bay space in your Dell™ Inspiron™ Notebook's media bay for an additional battery or a second hard drive. With this DVD / CD-RW combo drive, users can read DVD-ROM disks, read CD-ROM disks and create their own custom data CDs. This product has been tested and validated on Dell™ systems to ensure it will work with your computer and is compatible with Dell™ Inspiron™ 8200 / 4150 / 4100 notebooks. It is supported by Dell™ Technical Support when used with a Dell system.

Manufacturer Part# 8R990
Dell Part# 313-1229
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:05 pm
Get the correct model, and assist in the exchange to speed things up. It's just going to frustrate you to death if you do not.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 01:44 pm
I'd exchange it and just get an external one. I don't like replacing parts on a laptop.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 01:48 pm
so the one i got will not work even as an external drive? guess not. one dell representative said it should, another said it's not compatible. which one is right?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 01:54 pm
Work towards getting the external USB
Quote:
I'd exchange it and just get an external one. I don't like replacing parts on a laptop.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:03 pm
dag, I do not know that model but it's usually not a good idea to repurpose a drive that is meant to be internal and make it external.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 03:44 pm
:-( i suppose you're right. arrrrgh. i spent soooo many hours online and on the phone, over 3 hours on the phone with dell to be exact - most of it on hold, of course, grrrrrr. I went to Radioshack to ask if they wouldn't have some sort of a cable that would connect this to my notebook, they guy stared at me speechless for awhile and then said: you don't wanna do that, miss.
so frustrating!!! but thanks for preventing me to ruin either the notebook or the drive, i do need to be stopped from time to time. oh sigh, life....so tough.
0 Replies