Buying a new Laptop

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:53 pm
My housemate is looking into buying a new laptop. She's found this little beauty online - anyone know anything about:

KDS ThinNote 376CH / Intel Pentium III 600MHz / 128MB / 20GB / CD-ROM / 56K / NIC / 12.1" TFT / Windows XP Home / Laptop

laptop info
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,487 • Replies: 64
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:12 pm
You might look at this:
http://www.epinions.com/KDS_Thinnote_376Ch_PIII_600MHz_20GB_128MB_12_1__TFT_Win_XP__Notebooks_376CH

The "KDS" brand seems to be a "Tiger Direct" house brand which would make me a bit leary of it. Without knowing who actually makes it it's hard to judge the quality. Tiger Direct sells that laptop for $759. (No one esle seems to carry that brand..)

I just looked at the Dell refurbished machines (with full factory waranty) and they had an Inspiron 2650 w/Intel Celron 1.5Ghz, 14" TFT Screen, 20 GB HD, 128MB RAM, CD-RW, 56K Modem, Ethernet Port and Win XP Home for $723.00 (no telling how long it will last there!). That's twice as fast of a CPU and a CD Writer for $30 less..

I'd keep an eye on the Dell, Compaq and IBM WWW sites for refurbs and be ready to grab one that comes up at a good price (they go fast!) before I'd buy an off-name brand.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
Me - I'd get a Dell only.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:22 pm
DELL Refurb's on EBAY
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:29 pm
Thanks, I agree with you guys, I sent her the info....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:34 pm
I don't know what she is willing to pay for a laptop but IBM has an R31 (1.2GHz Celron) laptop on their Closeout site right now for $849.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:37 pm
I don't know what she can afford, but prolly not much.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:41 pm
fishin - where exactly was that laptop you spotted? How can I direct Dasha there? She's trying to find it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:42 pm
L'k see this starting at $799.00

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/default.htm?rpo=true
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:44 pm
THis could of been what Fish'n was looking at:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/products/line_notebooks.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:49 pm
I like Dell, for what that's worth. KDS is OK, but their build quality varies, and their support can be difficult to negotiate. For someone uncomfortable poking around in a computer's innards, I'd recommend one of The Major Brands, getting At least 256Meg of memory, a Processor near 2Gig, a screensize at least 14", and as a minimum, one dual-purpose Optical Drive (eg: DVD/CDRW). A network card is a nicety, as is an internal modem, but either function can be implemented by PCMCIA Card or USB adaptors.
Unless ready portability is a major factor, I would be unconcerned with battery life, weight, or over-all dimensions. I have both a "Thin/Light" Laptop, and a "DeskTop Replacement" Laptop. The "Thin/Light" travels well and fairly frequently. Its lack of inbuilt drives other than its hard drive is no drawback for the tasks I assign it "On the Road". Certain folders on it are "Synched" to my main machine any time its connected to my network. The "DeskTop Replacement" sits in the space formerly occupied by the monitor of The Desktop it replaced. My clumsy fingers make the "Thin/Light" less-than-ideal for any application requiring much keyboard work, so I don't use it much for that sort of stuff.

Name-Brand Refurbs directly from the Manufacturer are often an excellent bargain, as may be "Open Box Returns" from reputable retailers and e-tailers. I would determine my requirements and shop those two sources first. Cosmetic blemishes are of no impact on functionality, nor is a merely "Opened and returned box". If The Warranty, Support, and Service are the same, and the piece will do the job, go for it, and spend the money saved on software or peripherals.

timber
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:01 pm
IBM'S "touchpoint" eraser-like pointing device may be off-putting to those used to a conventional mouse. Not really a problem, though, as adding a mouse or a touchpad if desired is a "No Brainer". Other than that, IBM's build quality and support are among the better, IMHO. That looks like a nice all-around machine, at a fair price for its features.

timber
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:04 pm
Lil k - Click on these:

IBM Clearance Center - Laptops

Dell Outlet Center - Inspiron 2650s in Stock

The Dell at $723 seems to be gone already. They do go fast! lol They had a bunch in the $800-$850 range earlier too but right now the lowest I see is $954.00.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:07 pm
There are some good deals on USED IBM laptops too!

Used IBM Laptops from IBM
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:17 pm
I left Dasha at the screen reading when I went to take a shower. She can't believe all the info you've been sending her. She may end up as a member here soon.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:22 pm
littlek wrote:
She may end up as a member here soon.

I imagine that would mean the end of all those juicy tidbits about her you been giving us, huh?

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:24 pm
hahahaha, as if!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:35 pm
Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

timber ... ever "The Peacemaker" :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:39 pm
<grin>
she's not looking now anyway.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:55 pm
speak of the devil
err, hi all. this is the roommate in question. i am very grateful to you all, albeit quite frustrated and exhausted from looking already. i will sleep on it and tomorrow! yeah, tomorrow i think i may own a new shiny dell (but of course)!
0 Replies