All things M Night Shyamalan....

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:50 am
Divisive Oscar-nominated director M Night Shyamalan can be seen by many as a great filmmaker, a flash in the proverbial film pan, one of the worst directors of all time.

His iconic films range from The Sixth Sense (1999) and Signs (2002). He's a legend at twist endings when they work or push the limits of terrible when they don't. He's mastered building up suspense and atmospheric tension in his movies, both good and bad.

What are your favorite M Night Shyamalan movies? What are his worst projects? What separates the two groups of films (if they exist)?

His latest film (by trailer standards), looks promising. I haven't seen his previous film, The Visit (2015), which was a moderate critical and box office hit for a very small budget film.

'Split’ Trailer: James McAvoy Has 23 Different Personalities (and a Basement Full of Prisoners) in M. Night Shyamalan Thriller

Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:12 pm
Shyamalan is and will always be a success. James Wan could make crap movies for the rest of his life, yet it wouldn't change The Conjuring 1 and 2 (and Saw).
The Sixth Sense is genuine soul. A true story, executed well.

Even Unbreakable is deeply humane; I love the ending, when Willis shakes Jackson's hand (an iconic set-up, akin to Luke telling Vader he killed his father). And I'd venture that this is one of Sam Jackson's very best and purest roles to date.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:19 pm
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:

Shyamalan is and will always be a success.

I beg to differ.

Quote:
Worst Director
After Earth (2013)

Worst Screenplay
After Earth (2013)

2011 Won Razzie Award Worst Director, The Last Airbender (2010)

Worst Screenplay
The Last Airbender (2010)

2009 Nominated Razzie Award Worst Director, The Happening (2008)

Worst Screenplay
The Happening (2008)

2007 Won Razzie Award Worst Supporting Actor
Lady in the Water (2006)

Worst Director
Lady in the Water (2006)

Nominated Razzie Award Worst Screenplay
Lady in the Water (2006)

IMDb
jespah

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I like Sixth Sense. Signs is okay (upon repeated viewings, it feels too obvious).

One thing I like are the Pennsylvania settings. It's good to see a film of any sort that isn't in New York, California, or Florida.

The guy could use a hit.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:04 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I like Sixth Sense. Signs is okay (upon repeated viewings, it feels too obvious).

That's one thing I can't remember ever doing. Rewatching ANY of his movies. To see what remains watchable and what becomes outdated and poorly aged....
Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm aware of his history; I nevertheless judge someone by one success.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sixth Sense works well for multiple viewings. For one, It took me I think the third viewing before I could really see all the uses of red for life and blue (and gray) for death.
0 Replies

vforvendetta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Sixth Sense definitely tops my favourite horror list, but the rest of his films I am not quite sure... The Last Airbender was simply disastrous
0 Replies