Do opinions and ideas persist after death?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
Dead is when there is no brain activity. Is there any record of anyone coming back to life after they had no brain activity?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
Here's one that claims life after brain death.
http://spiritualscientific.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/CAN_THE_BRAIN_TRULY_DIE_AND_THEN_RETURN_TO_LIFE.13491033.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:01 am
@Thomas33,
My "instinct" tells me when you're dead, you're dead. Game over.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:04 am
@Setanta,
Well, I think that sounds quite brutal.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Dead is when there is no brain activity. Is there any record of anyone coming back to life after they had no brain activity?

Lots of reports of people coming back to life after the 'official' time of brain death (7 minutes without blood flow I think) but of course that is not what I'm talking about.

Through their writing, I have come to respect several men who report that they saw Jesus after his body, and presumably his brain, was certifiably dead. I don't think they were lying.

It created quite a stir. We're still talking about it 2000 years later.
Thomas33

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:14 am
@Setanta,
That's a fair belief. I don't believe in an afterlife, but I do believe in a resolution.
0 Replies

JehovahLoves

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:23 pm
At Ecclesiastes 9:5 states," For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory is forgotten.'
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
If it's a natural phenomenon for people to come back to life after death, why not a biblical persona?
With any book written years after any event, we can never know the actual facts.
Even when there are several witnesses to a crime, they can arrive at different conclusions.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Even when there are several witnesses to a crime, they can arrive at different conclusions.

True, and that being the case, it is even more conclusive when many witnesses report the same thing. Something around 500 are said to have seen him after rising from death.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 08:15 pm
@JehovahLoves,
JehovahLoves wrote:

At Ecclesiastes 9:5 states," For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory is forgotten.'

The majority of translations prefer something more along the lines of:

"For the living know that they die, and the dead know not anything, and there is no more to them a reward, for their remembrance hath been forgotten." (Young's Literal Translation)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 05:39 am
@JehovahLoves,
JehovahLoves wrote:

..., because all memory is forgotten.'

Not according to Judaism. The deceased are always to be kept in our loving memory until we, the living, join our Creator at the time of death.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:25 am
@Miller,
Is post-death likely to mean no reflection?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:11 pm
@Miller,
Quote:

JehovahLoves wrote:
..., because all memory is forgotten.'

Not according to Judaism. The deceased are always to be kept in our loving memory until we, the living, join our Creator at the time of death.

Wow, that's a lot of responsibility for the ones that remember you. I hope God asks somebody who likes me. I'd hate to come back as an asshole.

Don't say it! Razz
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:54 am
@Miller,
"May their memory be for a blessing"
0 Replies