Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 05:44 am
Anybody else see the latest installation to the Trekkie universe? It was quite a blast of fun.

Don't bother with 3D or IMAX. Still a good respite from the summer heatwave (or bitter winter if you live in the underworld of Australia).

It definitely redeemed the franchise from the major disappointment that was the schmaltzy and weirdly titled, Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).

This new edition continued Rodenberry's progressive optimism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 4,000 • Replies: 15

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 06:23 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes yes yes we LOVED it!!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:24 am
@tsarstepan,
I went to see a screening of Richard III from the Almeida theatre on Thursday night. At halftime I went to the bog, on my return they'd already changed the sign outside to Star Trek at 12.01am, I walked past three times before I realised.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:36 am
@tsarstepan,
I have not seen it yet, but based on reviews and opinions here I'm thinking I'll probably enjoy it enough to see it when it can be downloaded (legally).

In general though, I wish they would get back to story lines that revolve around Discovery rather than Battle. I understand that it's hard to be a good-guy/bad-guy for entertainment, but if anything else comes close it's the mystery and excitement of discovering something new, and that's something I think the original series did better than most of the more modern incarnations. Sure they had a conflict of some type because you pretty much need that for a short cinematic bit of entertainment, but along with the conflict there was often a mystery to be solved or a discovery of a new species or culture.

Does this version have any of that, or is it just another battle?
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:17 am
@rosborne979,
There is discovery (and the space station is really neat). First scene with aliens is just fantastic. The conflict is probably more amped-up because it's a film. There are a ton of callbacks to the TV series, particularly to ENT and TOS.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:54 am
@jespah,
Cool. I'll look forward to seeing it when I can download it, but not sure it warrants a trip to the theater.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:19 am
@rosborne979,
It's fun. It will likely make a decent profit to boot. Not necessary that you see it on the big screen.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well I wasn't going to see it but if you say it that it's that good I guess I'll give it a try.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 04:51 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
. . . but if anything else comes close it's the mystery and excitement of discovering something new, and that's something I think the original series did better than most of the more modern incarnations.

Word.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:32 pm
@rosborne979,
Star Trek Insurrection has a good story about discovery.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 12:40 am
Fourth reboot movie is canceled.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/01/10/paramount-has-canceled-star-trek-4-and-disneys-star-wars-is-to-blame/

That's a shame. After fighting Khan in the second reboot movie, and blowing up the enterprise in the third, I was looking forward to seeing them go back in time to bring back a whale.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 05:37 am
@oralloy,
I think it’s time for Hollywood to go where no story has gone before and stop rebooting old stuff.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 08:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 11:52 am
Simon Pegg Thinks Star Trek 4 as We Know It Might Not Ever Happen
Quote:
Star Trek 4

In conversation with Games Radar, Simon Pegg revealed he’s skeptical a fourth Star Trek film set in the Kelvin timeline will ever see the light of day.
The fact is, Star Trek movies don’t make Marvel money. They make maybe $500 million at the most, and to make one now, on the scale they’ve set themselves, is $200 million. You have to make three times that to make a profit. I don’t feel like the last one… They didn’t really take advantage of the 50th anniversary. The regimen at the time dropped the ball on the promo of the film.

And we’ve lost momentum. I think losing Anton [Yelchin] was a huge blow to our little family, and our enthusiasm to do another one might have been affected by that. So I don’t know.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 12:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Simon Pegg back when.

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 03:02 pm
@izzythepush,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't stand Star Trek Voyager.
0 Replies