Sex, Religion and Politics.

Tex-Star

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:50 am
I have been living for over 60 years and, frankly, I've seldom heard people in social situations discussing the subjects on this and other forums. Neither have I heard people arguing loudly, or silently or whatever, in any position of employment I've held.

People get on these forums to listen to what someone else has to say, as an entertainment and we are, maybe, surprised that we learn so much. Some people seem to live here.

I think we are required to walk and talk our lives, it is part of "know thyself." The more we talk the more we understand our own self, our thoughts and experiences and how all that makes us, well, us. And, the walking (writing) of our life straightens out the crooked trail of our past so we can see rather clearly to go on into the future. I don't think we should take lightly how our minds are kept clear when we write our thoughts each day.

I don't have much to say, I guess, for people who think someone is somehow "mean" because they vote republican, or that democrats are bleeding heart weaklings. Maybe there is a time in all our lives for each of these.

Tex-Star
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:16 pm
Because we know we defy what our religion asks us to do many times, we are afraid of admitting it. We are afraid that if we discuss about God, we are not discussing about the right subject. It seems that many people sit in the back of the church. This is because they are afraid of what they will hear. Afraid of what they will come to know about themselves and their inner spirit. They are afraid to listen to what they really are.
I dissagree with politics though. Many of us participate in the anti-war protests, and ask questions about political activities and actions. We are not afraid to discuss what is not our burden, but the president's, but we are afraid to discuss what is our burden, and how we defy what we say (i'm talking about religion).
About sex...<sigh>...obviously we always exclude it from all the other categories. It seems like a topic many think is not normal to discuss about, but when we hear a 30-year-old say "I'm a virgin," we think "what a weirdo!" It's a weird, weird story...
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:50 pm
You have posed a HIGHLY intelligent query, Phoenix
and one that deserves an answer of its equivalent.
From my perspective - it appears to me that people
are at their highest peak of vulnerability - when the
topic is sex; because naturally - this can lead to places
people are very afraid to go. When the topic is politics;
there are as many opinions as there are people and
because politics governs so many of our affairs
(unfortunately the old saw; that govt is best which
governs least has never been adhered to) it is hitting
us in the pocketbooks( or wallets), & in our freedoms
in so many ways - there is little wonder the topic
brings out all of the fears people have about what
limitations a govt CAN impose upon them & their
ability to earn their living - for a prime example -
look at the movie where Woody Harrelson plays
the guy who gave the population the type of
literature which - it seems - attracts a good many
readers (or gawkers) whoever he is, the guy who
published Hustler magazine.
Now, whether you like HUSTLER or not. Whether
you read the magazine or not - that guy has the
right to publish the magazine - and if our govt can
clip his wings, where will it stop.
ALL 3 of these are areas of our lives which dig into
our DEEPEST FEARS; and I think that FEAR is the
reason that otherwise civilized individuals can just
dissolve into raving lunatics over these 3 areas of
discussion, conversation, controversy etc.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:03 pm
I realize that there are pitfalls involved in reading up tp page 4 and then jumping to the last page but...

I have found that people become the most rigid and aggressive in their stances when they are based on the "Just because" belief foundation. "How do you know?" "Just cause." Also, in some religeous discussions a certain number of people are on a misson to convert and the acceptance of any deviation causes a good bit of anxiety. Those people that seem to have a subtle comfort in their beliefs (if that is a useful discription) also seem quite willing to accept that others may have differing opinions but do not necessarily feel challenged by that difference. On the topic of religeon, people beg for rational proof when none exists outside the persons faith.

Sex? I haven't encountered a lot of heated discussion concerning sex outside the topic of homosexuality. There is the group that fears the topic just as they fear the association. If I like a gay person or I agree with a gay person, people will think I'm a gay person. Then again, there is the fall-back on religeon and the thought that God made men and women different on purpose and gays are somehow defying god. Again, I find that the people who are comfortable with their sexuality are less likely to be intimidated by the topic of being gay or gay rights. On the other hand, my wife and I have had many heated discussions about sex. The talk was indeed hot and delightful!

Politics escapes me. I find that for every fault found with one party or conservative/liberal mind set, there is a corresponding fault with the other that has occured during some period. In difficult times, those of a different orientation than that of the party/group in office find a common ground in the "I told you so" rationale for that hard time at hand. But, I do admit that I an dumbfounded at the bitter conversations that often revolve around politics.

As a last thjought, some people simply do not know how to have a civilezed conversation about anything. A lot of people spend the majority of their lives associating only with those who hold similar views and never stray outside that circle of thought. To do so is dangerous.

I don't know. The only issue I seem to have is with all you commie, liberal, Republicans who hang around with all those gay hetrosexuals in those God fearing, athiestic, Jewish mosques.

(Should I spell check? Nah!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:07 am
LOL. over the last part. And as usual, you are perceptive, and clear, in communication. Love your posts.

susan
smccandless0
sumac
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:20 am
Long time!
Hi
and thanks!
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:20 pm
Were all Human and were all not perfect. In all aspects of life we are tought thru Faith to achieve more commonsense, to protect our selves, and to make our world a better place.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:22 pm
kjvtrue wrote:
Were all Human and were all not perfect. In all aspects of life we are tought thru religion to achieve more commonsense, to protect our selves, and to make our world a better place.

Really!

Well...not the religions I know about!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:50 pm
Now, Frank, be nice :wink:

I gotta say, though, kjvtrue, a statement the nature of the one you just made invites sceptical inquiry. There is a considerable body of scrupulously documented, externally verifiable, mulitply mutually cross-corroborating evidence inconvenient to the religionist philosophy, to say the very least. One taking the side of a proposition should be prepared to encounter those who don't. May the best argument win.

Interesting this thread would come back to like after half a year ... wonder if it will fire up again. The thread this one sprang from ran several hundred replies, as I recall, and continued on quite a while after this one ceased getting responses.

Nothing special, I guess; just interesting.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:44 am
I once got a series of emails from a lady who's profile professed a love for Jesus as the guiding light.

Jesus would not have been impressed with some of the sentiments expressed by this married lady!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:53 pm
hi, I hope it is ok to bust in
I am feeling terribly shy in posting in this forum, you all seem so much more sophisticated than I am used. You may see quite a few new folks show up on the religious and other topics, we are refugees from the soon to be closing lycos.

Like a previous poster, I read the first few then jumped to last ones.

I can't answer in social situations because I am such a homebody, mostly only going to family gatherings and functions and church. I can say that the only time I disucss, religion, sex, and politics is with my own side of the family where everyone there is of the same party and the same religion. I wouldn't dream of discussing any of those subjects with my husbands side of the family since they are the opposite of what I am. It would just be uncomfortable.

I like all these functions on this site, now if only I can figure out how to use some of them.
I think people in America are more politically correct in public than on TV and the internet forums.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:08 pm
revel- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Not to worry- We are a friendly bunch.

Go to:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

You will find a number of tutorials that will answer many of your questions about using this site. In addition, if there is something that you need to know about the site that is not covered, you can post a question there.

Enjoy!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:59 am
Phoenix
Smile

Thank you for the nice welcome. This is a pretty big site so it will take awhile to get the hang of it. I have already found out by browsing that you are right, this is a friendly bunch.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:26 am
Not everbody is friendly in this Forum, a lot of them stalk you all over the boards, and complain or mock every post you make. Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:43 pm
jhvtrue

Compared to other places on the net I've been, this one seems far friendlier and more interesting in terms of subjects and the discussions.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:12 pm
As far as religion goes, for the religious religion defines their very being. They are their beliefs and convictions. They are their religion. That's why criticisms of their religion are taken as ad hominem attacks.

Also, religion's number one requisite is faith. The stronger one's faith, the stronger one's religion, "I know my religion is the greatest!" the stronger one's self. This strength of conviction tends to engender chauvinism.

"Religionist? Certainly not affected! What is excessive?"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:22 pm
Welcome, revel.

You've chanced upon a great discussion site. The people here are top notch and friendly. Shenanigans are not put up with here. That's why it's virtually devoid of hooligans.

I'm mostly content to sit back and read, also. By the time I get the chance to respond, someone has already done so, making my remarks superfluous. Also, if you're going to post something contentious, be prepared to back it up or you'll be ripped to shreds, nicely, intellectually, but thoroughly.

You'll have fun here, and learn a lot.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:29 pm
Revel, glad to hear you like it here! Most of us do ... <smiles>

Interesting, really, that this thread was woken up again. Cause lately I've been having the feeling that the Politics board here has actually gone quite tame ... sedate almost. Perhaps its cause a few controversial posters have gone (or mostly gone). Perhaps I've just gotten hardened ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:20 pm
I think (this may be a weird take) that part of it is that there are more than the usual rehashes to be discussed, in terms of the upcoming election. I see people like patiodog posting who haven't had anything to do with politics for a long time... seems like the balance is a little bit more towards specific discussable issues. I have generally found that the more specific, the more interesting/ the less rancorous. ("Neocons suck!", "No, liberals suck!", etc.)

(That said, I have been meaning to respond on the Kerry endorsement thread, and haven't...)
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:56 am
This is actually a rather nice forum. It has a good number of posters on a wide variety of topics, and the discussions (although not always) are usually knowledgeable and productive. And sometimes I get to use logic, who would have thought, and on the internet! In a lot of other forums I have been to, people post three word strings saying they agree or are angry. This is a very fun, eloquent forum. If you want proof of that, just check out the Art threads, they are why I started posting here.

Disagreement can lead to conflict, but let's face it, conflict is interesting. Conflict is a natural and necessary part of life, which leads to change/adaptation/better understanding.

There also seem to be a large number of people over 50 here, wonder if that has anything to do with the formality and intelligence.
0 Replies