Sex, Religion and Politics.

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:17 pm
It is an old saw that you don't discuss sex, religion or politics in polite company. But these ARE subjects, (especially religion and politics) that we DO discuss, in great detail, on this forum.

What is it about these subjects that often engenders so much contentiousness?
Why do usually charming, delightful people become tigers when discussing political figures, or religious tenets?

What do you think that we can do on Able2Know to minimize the animosity that sometimes arises during discussions of these subjects?

My intention is to keep this thread conceptual. Please refrain from bringing in any particular personalities into the discussion. Thanks! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,451 • Replies: 122
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:20 pm
Good questions. Good luck!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:21 pm
Dunno Phoenix, but you sure know how to write a catchy header.

Actually, I do know. If we'll step back and consider how many times we've changed someone's opinion or had our own changed, we might get a better sense of perspective. If we further consider how our opinions affect outcomes, we might not bother showing up at all.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:21 pm
I bet you get alot of hits with that title. :wink:

Will be watching with interest. Uncommonly good topic. Surprised
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:22 pm
its really just the nature of the beast, civility is possible only via emphasis on common curtesy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:29 pm
I think you will find that any discussion on the subjects will be contentious. They are subjects that always evoke strong emotional responses. Will wait and see. Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:33 pm
Purely a guess on my part but... I would guess that most of us tend to associate (in real life) with others that already think pretty much the same way we do for one thing. There isn't much opportunity to "contentious" discussion when you and the other person already agree on the major points of the issue.

Here, as with other forums, you bump into people for very different backgrounds and that have very different interests so the opportunity for direct opposition to views is probably higher.

When you meet someone in real life you are also likely to discuss things you might have in common first (i.e. "small talk") where on-line you write something and someone else comes across it hours later. They may or may not know anything about the writer but they see only the words and they go from there. All of the non-verbal cues are stripped away. If I don't use any emoticons you have no idea if I am joking about something or not and even with them you can't tell if I'm seriously joking or just being cute.

Of course there are probably some that may be intimidated in real life but can hide behind a keyboard knowing that the reader doesn't know who they are so the anoniminity becomes a pretext for a little extra bravado.. It allows them to say things on-line that they would never say face to face to others and they don't have to fear getting punched out for it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 07:39 pm
in all honesty i think this site has maintained civility in almost all cases albeit heated debates, but i can only think of one person that has made personal attacts on me and i consider that a rarity and insignificant.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:03 pm
I read the politics and religion threads, 'cause I don't think that even at my age, that I know everything, and I am always open to listen to other people's "take" on a subject. I have learned so much here.

I think that people become very emotionally involved with subjects that involve the "core" of their being, and feel threatened when their deepest beliefs are challenged. IMO the way that they counter the conflict, is by attacking the writer, rather than dealing with the subject at hand. Then it just becomes a pissing contest.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:25 pm
This is my first attempt at posting. I hope I get the process right.

The very American picnic/ barbecue early last fall was given by a professor. Nearly all the guests were academics including a professor from England who was visiting his daughter (who is also a professor).

Later, the Englishman told his daughter he was truly amazed that the conversations throughout the afternoon and evening did not include a single comment, let alone vigorous debates, on US policies in the mideast. It seems that at most gatherings in England, strongly expressed serious opinions are the order of the day.
Funny, we tend to think of the Brits as so reserved, polite and proper.
We are the ones who avoid political arguments.
Is it out of a fear of offending, a fear of appearing ignorant, or just plain fear?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:34 pm
Hey BillyFalcon! Glad to see you at a2k, and hope to hear from you often.

Are you suggesting we (Americans) are quite forward with our opinions online, but not in social gatherings? Interesting idea, and you may be right.

akaRoger
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:34 pm
BillyFalcon wrote:
Funny, we tend to think of the Brits as so reserved, polite and proper.
We are the ones who avoid political arguments.
Is it out of a fear of offending, a fear of appearing ignorant, or just plain fear?

I don't know of anyone that has ever used the term "reserved" in reference to the British as "not willing to discuss". The term usually refers to the unwillingness to appear vunerable or "let their hair down".

I doubt it is fear of anything though. When I go to a picnic I don't usually discuss database structures, network architecture or the pros/cons of digital vs. analog video signal generation either. I go to have have fun and relax - not discuss heavy or involved issues. That's the whole issue with the British being reserved. They don't know how to have fun! Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 08:38 pm
Hi BillyFalcon. Welcome! I observed that in England, as well.

This is not an original thought -- someone mentioned it to me recently, and got me thinking about it -- but I think part of it is that it is sometimes hard to maintain a friendly acquaintance with a person you otherwise like, but whose views on those big three are drastically different from yours.

For example, I worked with a guy who was really funny, really sweet, and I generally enjoyed hanging out with him. We were talking about the etymology of certain signs and somehow got onto evolution. He said, "Well, you know, the platypus disproves that." I laughed at his quip, and he gazed back at me levelly. He was completely serious. He honestly thought that evolution was a crock.

We maintained a friendship, but it was not at the same level -- I just couldn't believe that he actually didn't believe in evolution, and he couldn't believe that I did. I think a lot of us have experienced that on some level, and a lot of us, consciously or unconsciously, don't want to rock the boat and find out something about our acquaintances (not so much close friends) that negatively impacts the relationship.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:03 pm
Billy Falcon- Welcome to A2K- Interesting sidelight on the British!
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:18 pm
Someone, I think fishin', stated some people have an emotional investment in some issues. When another person makes a 'comment' in opposition to their beliefs, emotionally invested people must take it as a personal attack.

Therefore, they feel justified in making a personal attack.

Leaving 'comment' person wondering what the heck just happened.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:31 am
"It is an old saw that you don't discuss sex, religion or politics in polite company."

Well, living in "Old Europe", we have a similar here, mostly said after some beers in the pub, howver, and when too late.

My wife attended the morning reception for the 90th birthday of a friend of us, just females being there (besides one or two husbands), average age ~75. Main subjects: politics and religion. (Never thought about it: why didn't they talk about sex? :wink: )

Might well be that I'm am not average and thus have not average people in my aquaintance. But on the job as well as in private life these are topics, which are discussed at various occasitions and quite frequently here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:33 am
A closely related thread is at:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3039&highlight=

And Hi once more, BillyFalcon. Nice to bump into you again. Look forward to lots more of it!

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:40 am
We have so many Roman Catholic politicans on this thread, timber? :wink:
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:42 am
I think it was a joke. Confused Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 01:44 am
Perhaps it is more of an oxymoron than a jest.

timber
0 Replies